Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:48:58 am

Author Topic: Building my confidence in maths!  (Read 4481 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Building my confidence in maths!
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:15:43 pm »
+6
Wait, haven't I made a thread like this before???

Kinda. But that's more for rationalised and justifiable ranting (wow JR is so modest) and crying out desperately. I'm very likely to be not alone in saying this: Maths is quite painful for me. Why? I suppose I can sort of blame the education system. I got the short end of the stick when it came to truly dedicated maths teachers over the years. I never really got a solid foundation in maths. I perceived it as a subject of formula manipulating, subbing in numbers into said formulas, and that's about it.

I've said it before; Maths makes me angry and frustrated at the worst of times. I see to it that there's no choice but to grit my teeth through the pain. I need to stop blaming others and start taking more responsibility for my own learning.

So yeah, this is a more positive version of the other thread I made a few months ago. Hope you can join me too in my mission to cope with my maths anxiety and build my confidence in Mathematics!

EDIT: This thread will take you through the ups and downs of my mathematics journey. There may be a lot of tears as I type.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:00:05 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Building my confidence in maths!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:22:25 pm »
+2
Being following your maths journey across the forum and I am so happy to see this thread! Cannot wait for more updates!  ;D

Have you set yourself some goals or tasks that you want to complete and track through this thread or will it be more general about how you are feeling as the subject progresses?

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:42:42 pm »
+2
Is there anyone on here who actually likes maths?
Excuse the apparent stupidity of this question. Of course I know that most scientists and maths teachers love this subject (to some extent). I'm sure many on these forums like maths too, but they just don't make it obvious. Or they're just joking. :P

This subject cops so much hate for some reason. It's nearly impossible to escape the negativity associated with it (especially when people around you seem to agree with your incessant ranting about it).

Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 09:43:17 am »
+4
I like maths. I was going to do a minor in chemistry but after taking introduction to modelling last year I decided to do my minor in mathematical statistics.
(Note: in my degree structure I have to pick 1 major (main focus, study a lot of units in) and have space for a minor (4 units) )

Maths is challenging,  and when I study a math unit I know I'll be learning a lot. That's great since I love learning,  but it can be hard to keep that perspective when I'm stressed over an assignment.  I also love how useful stats is to me both now and in the future.  I struggle with being told 'don't worry about how it works just plug in these numbers to this formula'; I want to know how things work from the foundation up & maths gives me that. Some of my lecturers have said that they don't memorise formulas, they quickly derive them when they need them & I'm a big fan of that approach.

I've never really understood jokes about math being bad when the alphabet got involved - having letters makes maths so much more useful and so much easier to communicate.

Maths can be frustrating and it can also be rewarding. I hope you start to see more of the rewards soon.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 06:40:01 pm »
+3
25/7/19

Eddie Woo hated maths until university. I suppose that's something to keep in mind. I don't want future students to suffer like I am right now. I refuse to be a victim. The only thing I'm getting out of this is that at least I'm learning how to cope with such high levels of anxiety and frustration related to a single school subject. And what I learn from this may be beneficial to future students. I'm sure that they'll be even more scared and fearful of maths if this 'growth mindset' thing isn't universally accepted in the maths teaching community.

My perception of maths right now is the accumulation of all my negative experiences and sub-par teaching methods that weren't all that effective for me, as it turned out. The most difficult part is starting, but do I get any sort of satisfaction from doing maths problems? Not yet, I guess. Yes, tell me that I can do it. But do I really believe I can?

Maths is that subject that puts you down for getting an answer wrong. It demoralises you and breaks your spirit. I apologise for being so negative, but until someone more positive finds me, this is my view.

Dear Maths,
I'm trying to get to know you, but you just reject me every time. I have persistently tried to hang out with your little friends, Trig and Calculus, but they turn away from my helpless face. You have left this soul in a sorry state. After all this time, I can say that you have been nothing but trouble for me. (Well mainly Trig and Calculus). You ruin my day like a Monday morning. Laugh at me all you want Trig and Calculus, but who could blame me for not ever wanting to be near you?

Yours somewhat sincerely,
JR_StudyEd

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 07:27:20 pm »
+3
Dear Maths,
I'm trying to get to know you, but you just reject me every time. I have persistently tried to hang out with your little friends, Trig and Calculus, but they turn away from my helpless face. You have left this soul in a sorry state. After all this time, I can say that you have been nothing but trouble for me. (Well mainly Trig and Calculus). You ruin my day like a Monday morning. Laugh at me all you want Trig and Calculus, but who could blame me for not ever wanting to be near you?

Yours somewhat sincerely,
JR_StudyEd

Dear JR_StudyEd,
I understand that the way I am taught in schools can be confusing and unhelpful at times. I understand that I am a subject that takes perseverance, but I am saddened the frustration you feel when you encounter me. The way that society views and talks about me has made it difficult for many students to truly get to know me, but I know that you will get there in the end. Calculus gets on my nerves too. (But we keep him around for the important things he does).

Somewhat less sincerely,
Maths

PS. I hope I'm not as bad as a Monday morning.

blyatman

• Trailblazer
  • Blyat
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 07:58:00 pm »
+1
I also like math. One of my degrees is in applied math.

The focus of math is not about getting the correct answer. It's about formulating arguments, and arriving at the conclusion using logical, objective reasoning. Math was never about rote learning formulas. It's about critical thinking, and how you arrive at the answer is just as important as the answer itself.

Our technological progress as a species is built upon the foundations of mathematics. It is the tool that allows us to talk to others on the other side of the world, and one day, to colonize other planets and expand into the cosmos. It is, after all, the universal language.

In my opinion, it is the single most critical subject in school, as it helps in fostering students interest in STEM. I understand that it is difficult to appreciate it at your stage in life, but I hope you'll come to see it differently. As an engineer, I could think of no other subject in high school where what you learn has such a significant application in the real world. Personally, it beats essays where you're essentially just spurting out crap on paper.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:00:59 pm by blyatman »
Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
Research background: General Relativity (Gravitational Astrophysics Research Group, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, USYD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University) (Major: Aerodynamics. Minor: Propulsion)
M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 10:04:39 pm »
I also like math. One of my degrees is in applied math.

The focus of math is not about getting the correct answer. It's about formulating arguments, and arriving at the conclusion using logical, objective reasoning. Math was never about rote learning formulas. It's about critical thinking, and how you arrive at the answer is just as important as the answer itself.

Our technological progress as a species is built upon the foundations of mathematics. It is the tool that allows us to talk to others on the other side of the world, and one day, to colonize other planets and expand into the cosmos. It is, after all, the universal language.

In my opinion, it is the single most critical subject in school, as it helps in fostering students interest in STEM. I understand that it is difficult to appreciate it at your stage in life, but I hope you'll come to see it differently. As an engineer, I could think of no other subject in high school where what you learn has such a significant application in the real world. Personally, it beats essays where you're essentially just spurting out crap on paper.

It must be the best thing to say to people. "Oh you know I have a few degrees lying around, math, physics,engineering" hahaha

blyatman

• Trailblazer
  • Blyat
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 11:04:51 pm »
+1
It must be the best thing to say to people. "Oh you know I have a few degrees lying around, math, physics,engineering" hahaha

Haha degrees are only worth so much - looks nice to put on your title, but that's about it. Once you've worked more than a year, degrees become useless and experience trumps all. Guess its kinda like how the ATAR is useless the day after the HSC ends lol. Really puts things in perspective looking back on it all.
Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
Research background: General Relativity (Gravitational Astrophysics Research Group, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, USYD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University) (Major: Aerodynamics. Minor: Propulsion)
M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 05:00:21 pm »
+3
5/8/19

Feelings aren't meant to last. But my feelings towards maths on the other hand...have remained mostly constant. I've felt crappy ever since I had maths today. And Methods is still the subject that I struggle the most with, despite all my attempts.

It's a perpetual cycle of: Teacher goes over new textbook exercises, I fail to grasp it quickly enough, I fall behind, I try to catch up but since maths is sequential I have to go back and try and consolidate my knowledge of earlier content. I'm always behind, and I'm so over it.

And exams are coming too. I cannot be stuffed. I feel like I will never improve no matter how hard I try. Nothing's impossible. But this is maths we're talking about.

I feel like I'm saying the same things over and over again, but it's how I feel.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 07:23:28 pm »
+1
Are there any particular topics or concepts you particularly struggle with that we might be able to help you with?
(that sentence construction is weird but hopefully you get my point)

It's easy to feel demoralised when you can't see progress, but you know that that doesn't mean progress isn't happening or never will happen. It's hard, but hang in there

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 09:53:17 pm »
+3
Are there any particular topics or concepts you particularly struggle with that we might be able to help you with?

I struggle with Circular Functions (sin, cos, tan graphs and solving trig equations). I also struggle with the applications of differentiation and integration. And I think Probability is not going to be any nicer.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 08:52:25 pm »

Thoughts on this video? I understand the whole 'mastery over speed' thing, but unfortunately the time constraints of VCE and the amount of content that needs to be taught makes that strategy rather disadvantageous in terms of keeping up with the class. I just can't grasp absolutely everything that is taught in class at the speed at which it is being taught. So I fall behind. It's so close to the end though, so I've decided there's no point in catching up. I'm just going to be revising the earlier topics from Functions, Graphs and Algebra for the next little while.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 09:19:39 pm »
+2
Not a lot of people can grasp content as fast as it's taught in class, especially for maths. That's why you need to support it with rigorous home study.

Also you should try your best to catch up, increase your study hours, start doing more past papers etc. It's so close to the end so why give up now?

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 04:25:29 pm »
+3
8/8/19

It's so close to the end. But therein lies my problem. What's the point of me trying to understand stuff like integration when I haven't yet consolidated things like Algebra and Functions? There is literally no point in me trying to listen in class, because I'll have no idea (as I wouldn't have built up my confidence to that level yet). And even if I do ask, I wouldn't understand because maths is cumulative. So that's why I want to focus on content from the start of the year, because I'll at least have deep knowledge of parts of the course, rather than trying to cram in knowledge from all topics. If I do that, my overall knowledge and understanding won't be as deep.