Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:21:08 pm

Author Topic: How university works  (Read 167381 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: How university works
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2016, 05:40:40 pm »
I've heard that if you do units that are below your skill level they find out pretty quickly and make you do the appropriate ones. Unlikely to be "easy marks".

Darth_Pepe

« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2016, 06:10:23 pm »
I've heard that if you do units that are below your skill level they find out pretty quickly and make you do the appropriate ones. Unlikely to be "easy marks".

Okey dokey, ill stray away from those then.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2016, 08:01:12 pm »
+3
I speak a couple of languages apart from english very fluently and i was wondering if i could take a language unit like vce for easy marks?

edit. this would be at monash uni

Second what pi said. They've become a lot more stringent at Melbourne and Monash.

Also, what a hopeless waste of money. Easy marks sounds nice, but dropping a grand to learn things you already know just seems silly.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2016, 12:09:29 am »
+1
Uni is a great opportunity, unlike VCE, unless you really *need* (fucked up your GPA) the easy marks, you will regret wasting one of the 24 (ish) units you get because you'll never get that chance again.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

doyoueven

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Gold's gym
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2016, 12:19:10 am »
good read

One Superstar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Monash
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2016, 08:09:21 am »
Any advice to a first year biomed student at Monash?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2016, 07:31:11 pm »
Any advice to a first year biomed student at Monash?

Attend your lectures, no matter how boring they seem or how inconveniently placed they are. This will save you a lot of trouble during SWOTVAC and exams.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

(Daniel)

« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2016, 11:39:06 pm »
What would be the equivalent of an 80 wam (HD in monash) in terms to say vce? Im trying to find out roughly what i need to get an 80 in a unit.

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2016, 10:41:13 am »
Why do you say its tacky to wear your year 12 jersey? I understand that some may think of it as 'living in the past', but what if your just wearing it for kicks? I haven't done it yet...but I'd be lying if I said it hasn't crossed my mind.
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2016, 10:55:49 am »
+1
What would be the equivalent of an 80 wam (HD in monash) in terms to say vce? Im trying to find out roughly what i need to get an 80 in a unit.

I don't think its that simple. I asked this question, and people said it was just 'different'. I'm also going for an 80 something WAM this semester, but I'm going to change my ways of learning entirely. In VCE, all I did was read the textbook, and go through past papers, but in uni, I'm going to actually try and 'deeply' understand everything I'm doing. Why does this reaction happen? Why does that piece of code do that?

I guess out first semester marks will be our gauge.
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:08 pm »
+3

I got a 99+ ATAR and I've worked much much harder in uni and don't quite have an 80 WAM.

Could be my course, could be me, could be the strength of my peers (affecting downward scaling), likely a combination. It really depends.

(Daniel)

« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2016, 07:32:10 pm »
I don't think its that simple. I asked this question, and people said it was just 'different'. I'm also going for an 80 something WAM this semester, but I'm going to change my ways of learning entirely. In VCE, all I did was read the textbook, and go through past papers, but in uni, I'm going to actually try and 'deeply' understand everything I'm doing. Why does this reaction happen? Why does that piece of code do that?

I guess out first semester marks will be our gauge.

Im doing some arts units this semester and i still feel likes its kinda like vce. I got some quizzes that i nail which is a free 10%, then for my major essays i only need like 75% and 80% on the exam. Is it that hard to get 80%? I guess we will find out how hard it is to get an 80 soon.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2016, 12:13:22 am »
Im doing some arts units this semester and i still feel likes its kinda like vce. I got some quizzes that i nail which is a free 10%, then for my major essays i only need like 75% and 80% on the exam. Is it that hard to get 80%? I guess we will find out how hard it is to get an 80 soon.

Are you in your first year? Usually when students enter an undergrad degree, its assumed that you know nothing (or the bare minimum). This would explain the easiness. Rest assured, it doesn't get any easier.

You cannot compare VCE and uni in terms of marks, because your performance at school is not a justifiable indicator of performance at uni. You might get an ATAR higher than 90, but does that mean you'll get 80+ in every subject? Definitely not.

Is it hard to get 80%+? In most cases, it is. Any mark of 80 or above should be commended at uni level, regardless of what subject it is.

It helps being in a degree you're genuinely passionate about. Just getting through 3+ years of a degree is a hurdle in itself for a lot of people.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:18:03 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

(Daniel)

« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2016, 08:26:19 am »
Are you in your first year? Usually when students enter an undergrad degree, its assumed that you know nothing (or the bare minimum). This would explain the easiness. Rest assured, it doesn't get any easier.

You cannot compare VCE and uni in terms of marks, because your performance at school is not a justifiable indicator of performance at uni. You might get an ATAR higher than 90, but does that mean you'll get 80+ in every subject? Definitely not.

Is it hard to get 80%+? In most cases, it is. Any mark of 80 or above should be commended at uni level, regardless of what subject it is.

It helps being in a degree you're genuinely passionate about. Just getting through 3+ years of a degree is a hurdle in itself for a lot of people.

Yeah im first year. I dont know, i dont want to come off as a pompous smartass but im used to getting good marks in anything, do u know what i mean? My maths teacher told me to prepare for somewhat of a 'disappointment' because uni marks are different to that of vce.

In uni exams.. is 100% of the content covered in lectures? or is it like 80% lectures and 20% 'extra reading'?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2016, 06:20:56 pm »
An Arts perspective:

Like VCE in terms of content or structure? As mentioned above, there does tend to be a bit of an overlap in content between some first-year units and their VCE comparisons (for example, Bio 3/4 and first-year uni Bio).

Something I guess I'd suggest is not seeing 75% as "only 75%". 75% for a major essay isn't a walk in the park, particularly for a lot of Arts units, which don't have clear-cut answers. Same thing with the exam, although this is a bit subject-dependent.

Is it hard to get an 80? If nothing else, I don't think it's easy.

But if you do find that you can breeze through uni and smash out the HDs, and you're feeling a little bored by it all, why not aim higher? I can guarantee that you won't have a WAM of 100 in an Arts degree, so there will always be room for improvement. If you're bored by it, why not aim for 85? Or 90?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.