Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:35:24 am

Author Topic: Help with VCE Subject selections  (Read 4109 times)

hello world

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Help with VCE Subject selections
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:01:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm in year 10 and I'm starting subject selections at school next week. These are the subjects I've planned for vce:
Bio
Chem
Methods
Eng Lang
Psych
Spesh
The teachers at my school are advising me to drop 1 of my science subjects and pick another subject (perhaps a humanities subject) since they said that only 2 sciences can be in my top 4. So even if I scored really well in my third science, it wouldn't end up in my top 4 anyways. Also, if I plan on dropping a science, I'd drop psych but I'm not sure about what other subject to do. So should I do all the 3 science or should I do some other subject instead of psych?
Your opinions would be much appreciated!
Thanks

chem-nerd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Re: Help with VCE Subject selections
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 10:55:26 pm »
+6
You can definitely choose three sciences and have them counted in your primary four along with a English Language.  (Heck, you could choose all FIVE science subjects and an English if you really wanted to)

Sciences do not fall under the study area group restrictions for ATAR calculation (https://www.vtac.edu.au/atar-scaling-guide-2022.html)

Don’t base your decision off incorrect information about contribution to ATAR.

Perhaps their concern is that you have a science and maths heavy selection.  For some students this might be an issue, but for others it’s exactly what suits their strengths, interests and pathways.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 11:00:12 pm »
+2
As far as I know it's only maths where you can't have all 3 count in your top 4. EDIT: refer to chem-nerd's link for the other subject areas included in this rule! Science subjects aren't one of them, though :)

I think it's really important to consider subjects you enjoy and have strengths in, because you're more likely to do well in these. If you enjoy science subjects, then why not do them? Are there any other subjects that you're potentially interested in doing?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:24:36 am by K888 »

hello world

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:37:06 pm »
I was tossing up between psychology and accounting but I wasn't really interested in accounting and I only considered it because I'm fairly good with numbers

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 09:56:01 am »
+1
I was tossing up between psychology and accounting but I wasn't really interested in accounting and I only considered it because I'm fairly good with numbers
Putting my two cents in here, I would not recommend accounting just because you are good with numbers. I kinda did the same, although I was slightly interested in it, but the content is quite dry and I ended up dropping it even though I was doing relatively well. Do the subjects you enjoy, if this is psychology then go for it!
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 10:01:47 am »
+4
As far as I know it's only maths where you can't have all 3 count in your top 4.

There are other (although I'd say less common) study area groupings with similar restrictions, as noted by chem-nerd above.

https://www.vtac.edu.au/atar-scaling-guide-2022.html

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 10:59:11 am »
+3
Hi everyone,
I'm in year 10 and I'm starting subject selections at school next week. These are the subjects I've planned for vce:
Bio
Chem
Methods
Eng Lang
Psych
Spesh
The teachers at my school are advising me to drop 1 of my science subjects and pick another subject (perhaps a humanities subject) since they said that only 2 sciences can be in my top 4. So even if I scored really well in my third science, it wouldn't end up in my top 4 anyways. Also, if I plan on dropping a science, I'd drop psych but I'm not sure about what other subject to do. So should I do all the 3 science or should I do some other subject instead of psych?
Your opinions would be much appreciated!
Thanks

I did basically the same subjects as you're planning in year but physics instead of spec (spec wasn't offered at my school :'( ) and my top 4 was eng lang, physics, bio & psych. If what you find most interesting and want to do is 3 sciences then go for it!

Bio chem & psych complement each other well imo. Some people are scared away by the idea of doing 3 sciences but I liked studying 4 of them and I liked that I could connect concepts from my different subjects well.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 11:23:25 am »
+4
There are other (although I'd say less common) study area groupings with similar restrictions, as noted by chem-nerd above.

https://www.vtac.edu.au/atar-scaling-guide-2022.html
Huh, I never even knew about any of the others! I'll edit my post to reflect this info.

hello world

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 06:21:35 pm »
Thanks to all of your replies! I guess I'll just stick with what I find interesting :)