Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:29:33 am

Author Topic: What if your school does not let you do your chosen subjects?  (Read 3814 times)

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
I am really worried because what if the school does not let me do my chosen subjects for vce.

Like, what if your subjects don't aline. Could you complain to the school?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: What if your school does not let you do your chosen subjects?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:37:00 pm »
+4
I am really worried because what if the school does not let me do my chosen subjects for vce.

Like, what if your subjects don't aline. Could you complain to the school?
Any reason why you think they might not allow you to do certain subjects?

When I was in year 12 I had a few friends who had clashes between some subjects where there was only 1 class running so they decided to do one of the subjects via distance.

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 09:39:19 pm »
Any reason why you think they might not allow you to do certain subjects?

When I was in year 12 I had a few friends who had clashes between some subjects where there was only 1 class running so they decided to do one of the subjects via distance.
It is not that they wouldn't allow me it is just if they would clash. I suppose distance learning is an option.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 10:54:46 pm »
+6
Unfortunately the school timetable takes priority to ensure that everybody gets as close to their desired timetable as possible. Hard job timetablers have. Not everyone is satisfied, ever. Some win, some lose.

It is common not to be able to do a subject at a school, particularly if your school is government. Independent you may be lucky to have a very broad offering. Whether a subject runs or not depends on a few things, primarily: clashes/school timetable (which you've already mentioned) which runs based on blocks, staffing (this is a big one - they have to have a teacher qualified to teach the subject (or teachers in the case of multiple classes)) and student preference/interest (if only a few people choose it, chances are it won't run unless it's a priority subject)

Distance is an option like suggested above. A subject is more likely to run with enough interest. If you can get at least i'd say 10 people to support you in your request.. take it to your coordinator or the leader of the faculty/curriculum area for that subject.

Could you complain to the school?
You could. But you wouldn't win. I'd reframe your wording and go to your coordinator with a justification of why the subject is important to you and your future goals. Perhaps that'd be better than a complaint.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile