Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:10:13 pm

Author Topic: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program  (Read 17894 times)

CloutCriminal

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 01:24:15 am »
Hii thanks for the clarification :D
also one more thing, what do you really need to have a good chance to get accepted?(i go to a fairly competitive school)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2020, 09:01:45 am »
+5
Hii thanks for the clarification :D
also one more thing, what do you really need to have a good chance to get accepted?(i go to a fairly competitive school)

If you do go to a competitive school, the best thing you can do is made your application unique.
This can be done in many ways through academic achievements/volunteering/leadership roles. To give you an idea, I'll just pick out the best stuff from my application (surprisingly I still have it on my computer). You want to show that you have a balance in not only academic potential but your ability to help others and you will need to expand on why you put it in your application. For example, I put the Duke of Ed award and explained that it involves 6 months of compulsory volunteering and then a camp at the end to demonstrate leadership and communication skills. They are more interested in the quality of your stuff rather than the quantity. The more you explain about the qualities of that role (why you did it and what does it reflect) the better your application will sound. ;D

Spoiler
   • Representative in the Victorian Association of State Girls’ Secondary Colleges
   • Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award
   • Entrepreneur program (Boss Project)
   • Volunteering at an autistic children's school
   • Volunteering as a student tutor
   • ABCN leadership program
   • Wool4School Design Finalist
   • Dux (X2) + Academic scholarships (x2)+ Academic achievement for subjects (x9?)+ AMC + ICAS distinctions (Just pick out the awards people would recognise)

My school had a lot of applicants at the time and to make my application sounds a bit different from the others, I changed up my "Story about yourself" criteria. I actually started with a quote that I pretty much follow on a daily basis then I continued in first person about my life and ended with a poem. I tried to take full advantage of this criteria as it was the only one that didn't have a specified type of writing for it. Just be yourself when you write this area and link all your ideas back to qualities of KLD (communication, leadership etc)

Hope that helps! ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:55:03 am by ashmi »

Implicxty

• Adventurer
  • ♱.*
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 11:22:12 pm »

My school had a lot of applicants at the time and to make my application sounds a bit different from the others, I changed up my "Story about yourself" criteria. I actually started with a quote that I pretty much follow on a daily basis then I continued in first person about my life and ended with a poem. I tried to take full advantage of this criteria as it was the only one that didn't have a specified type of writing for it. Just be yourself when you write this area and link all your ideas back to qualities of KLD (communication, leadership etc)

Hope that helps! ;D

that sounds really smart but I have a feeling if I try to do something different I might screw up :P
how is everyone planning to structure their application?
also, people are talking about volunteering, but how does one actually sign up to volunteer for something
?

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 08:51:54 am »
+6
that sounds really smart but I have a feeling if I try to do something different I might screw up :P

There is no such thing as stuffing up on this application 🤣(the only stuffing up you can do it listing a whole pack of stuff and not explaining it).
Write your application in a way that reflects you is probably the best advice I can give. There is a lot of room for creativity in the "Story about Yourself" which allows you to write in a way that truly represents you. The first part of the application is quite formal so I used the last criteria to just give them an inside of what I'm really like. The main thing you want to do with this application is get your point across and since they will be reading a lot of applications you may as well make it enjoyable for them to read. ;D

also, people are talking about volunteering, but how does one actually sign up to volunteer for something
?

Have you tried asking your school about any type of volunteering you can do? I mainly got introduced to volunteering through networking with people who volunteer on a daily basis. Sometimes your school might have someone that could introduce you to some volunteering programs? (If you have an Interact club at your school (Rotary Club) you might want to see if you can get involved in that)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:18 am »
+2
?

As Ashmi has said, people at your school may be able to help you here. Additionally, there are likely to be multiple community groups near your local area you could look up online and probably volunteer with :)  Sometimes a group won't say "we welcome volunteers" or similar anywhere but if you contact them they may be happy to take you on or to refer you to another group that can. Good luck!