Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:41:05 am

Author Topic: Confessions!! 😃  (Read 8901 times)  Share 

conic curve

• Forum Leader
Re: Confessions!! 😃
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2016, 02:16:52 pm »
Why would you even be that desperate?

Maybe because you like extension maths, maybe because it's high scaling, maybe because you feel the need to do a maths heavy course in uni, maybe because you regret not picking it in the first place, maybe you find 2U maths not as interesting as 3U maths, etc

There are so many factors out there but these are what are the main ones

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 02:49:06 pm »
Maybe because you like extension maths, maybe because it's high scaling, maybe because you feel the need to do a maths heavy course in uni, maybe because you regret not picking it in the first place, maybe you find 2U maths not as interesting as 3U maths, etc

There are so many factors out there but these are what are the main ones
The second reason is a dud.

If you like it that much then go self teach it. Who said it had to count towards your HSC lol.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2016, 02:59:41 pm »
The second reason is a dud.

If you like it that much then go self teach it. Who said it had to count towards your HSC lol.

Well it doesn't have to count to your HSC but most of the time, students want it to count to their HSC (because there's really no point in doing it if you're not going to get assessed on it. Getting assessed means that it is testing how much of the course you know)

Also it would not be a great idea to self teach MX1 and/or MX2 in prelim/HSC because that's going to swallow up your hours of learning and study

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »
Well it doesn't have to count to your HSC but most of the time, students want it to count to their HSC (because there's really no point in doing it if you're not going to get assessed on it. Getting assessed means that it is testing how much of the course you know)

Also it would not be a great idea to self teach MX1 and/or MX2 in prelim/HSC because that's going to swallow up your hours of learning and study
If a student desperately wants it to count then sure. But being realistic that is very rare especially for courses such as MX2 because the external tuition fees are way too much. Same with things like EX2.

I used to advocate external tuition for this stuff but when I found out how dear it was I was like ok stay away.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 03:32:16 pm »
If a student desperately wants it to count then sure. But being realistic that is very rare especially for courses such as MX2 because the external tuition fees are way too much. Same with things like EX2.

I used to advocate external tuition for this stuff but when I found out how dear it was I was like ok stay away.

When you mean "external tuition" do you mean sitting the course out of school and it counting to the HSC, or do you mean "external tuition" in the sense that you are getting tutored for that subject in order to supplement your learning at school?

You do realise how popular MX2 is right? Especially at top 10 schools. A school like James Ruse has 96 spaces for MX2 equating to 4 classes (the rule is 24 per class for seniors) but at least 120 students in the cohort are interested in MX2 (with 150 students in a cohort from memory). In this case we have 24 students who have missed out on the course but are very capable and interested in the course (the school can't make another class due to a reason such as it will affect the timetabling system)

It may be expensive however if this is the one and only chance you can do the course for the HSC (and want it to count) then yes you're going to have to fork out a tonne of money in order to make it work. If you can't afford those fees, then get a part time job at say like Mcdonalds, KFC, etc that way you can pay for it without making your parents go through the burden of paying those fees

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 03:38:38 pm »
I should've said external education if it wasn't clear.

And MX2 is only decently popular. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/EN_SX_2015_12.html
Only around 3300 students did MX2 last year.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 03:45:58 pm »
I should've said external education if it wasn't clear.

And MX2 is only decently popular. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/EN_SX_2015_12.html
Only around 3300 students did MX2 last year.

You do realise that MX2 is the 3rd most popular extension course. It's MX1 then EE1 then MX2 so it is a popular extension course in that sense

Obviously MX1 is the most popular extension course then it's EE1 (like I said above)

So I guess to some extent, MX2 is a popular extension course. It scales well and if you enjoy maths, you'll enjoy MX2
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:53:49 pm by conic curve »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »
You just said it was a popular course. You didn't explicitly say it was popular among just the extension courses.

A candidature of only 3300 in a cohort of about 66000 students is not that much to me. You cannot argue against statistics that show this.

The third most popular course altogether is either English Advanced or General Mathematics from memory

Even then, MX1 only has a candidature of about 9000 to be said the "most popular course".
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:52:59 pm by RuiAce »

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2016, 03:53:10 pm »
You just said it was a popular course. You didn't explicitly say it was popular among just the extension courses.

A candidature of only 3300 in a cohort of about 66000 students is not that much to me. You cannot argue against statistics that show this.

The third most popular course altogether is either English Advanced, General Mathematics or 2U Mathematics

Even then, MX1 only has a candidature of about 9000 to be said the "most popular course".

I meant most popular extension course. I don't think I mentioned that sorry. I'll change my comment

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »
If you just meant the extension courses then there's something you're forgetting.

A far more significant majority wish to not do an extension course than that who do.

Of course at James Ruse the candidature is high. But after you go out of the top 10 schools or so region, it immediately starts dropping for MX1 (and crashing down for MX2).

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2016, 04:28:03 pm »
If you just meant the extension courses then there's something you're forgetting.

A far more significant majority wish to not do an extension course than that who do.

Of course at James Ruse the candidature is high. But after you go out of the top 10 schools or so region, it immediately starts dropping for MX1 (and crashing down for MX2).

True, as you can tell by the candidates doing extension courses

If you weren't permitted to do MX1 or MX2 for any reason, what would you do?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »
True, as you can tell by the candidates doing extension courses

If you weren't permitted to do MX1 or MX2 for any reason, what would you do?
Would've kept biology or SOR1 lol. Still would've dropped SOR2.