Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 01:53:27 am

Author Topic: Recently moved from WA, what should I expect about VCE?  (Read 718 times)  Share 

luca.staltari

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Recently moved from WA, what should I expect about VCE?
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:11:32 pm »
I've recently moved from WA to VIC at the end of Yr 11. In Perth, I was averaging a 89 ATAR, with not much effort, doing:

Maths Applications (Further in VIC): 86%
English: 66%
Religion: 64%
Modern History: 64%
Physics: 59%
AIT (computing, multimedia, design): 82%

I'm curious of what to expect with the VCE system. The idea of SAC's are completely foreign to WA and we use a out of 100 marking system with much less complicated scaling system, which allows you to track your ATAR throughout the year. I'm hoping to achieve around a 90 ATAR, and wondering what it takes to achieve that here

Thanks, Luca

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Recently moved from WA, what should I expect about VCE?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:18:02 pm »
+2
I've recently moved from WA to VIC at the end of Yr 11. In Perth, I was averaging a 89 ATAR, with not much effort, doing:

Maths Applications (Further in VIC): 86%
English: 66%
Religion: 64%
Modern History: 64%
Physics: 59%
AIT (computing, multimedia, design): 82%

I'm curious of what to expect with the VCE system. The idea of SAC's are completely foreign to WA and we use a out of 100 marking system with much less complicated scaling system, which allows you to track your ATAR throughout the year. I'm hoping to achieve around a 90 ATAR, and wondering what it takes to achieve that here

Thanks, Luca

Hey Luca!

Welcome to ATAR Notes (and Victoria). :)

I guess a few things to note:

* Your ATAR is calculated by adding your top four subjects (necessarily including English), plus 10% of your fifth and sixth subjects if applicable.
* As you've noted, your subject scores here aren't out of 100 - they're out of 50.
* It's quite difficult to estimate what scores you'll get for each subject throughout the year, due to factors like scaling and moderation. You can read more about all of this in this thread if you're interested.

Feel free to ask any questions you have at all on the forums. You can find specific sections for different VCE subjects here.

I'm not really sure I've answered your questions, but it's not really possible to say "you need to average [x amount] throughout the year to get a 90 ATAR".

P.S. How did you come across ATAR Notes, out of interest?
P.P.S. I'm just going to move this thread to the general VCE discussion area, where it will hopefully get more traction. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.