Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:59:59 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231720 times)

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4350 on: March 30, 2019, 01:47:23 pm »
+1
Hey, 0102megan!

To structure it, I would have an introduction, first body on textual form, second body on concepts/s and a conclusion. Context and whatnot will be integrated throughout  :) Hope that makes sense! Do clarify with your teachers just in case I could be mistaken  :D

Angelina  ;D

Thanks this is so helpful!!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4351 on: March 31, 2019, 04:11:19 pm »
Hey all,

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I just have a question regarding Module A- Richard III and Looking for Richard:

What is the historical and political context of Looking for Richard? I have formed an opinion on the historical and political context of Shakespeare (War of the Roses, constant switch between Catholicism and Protestantism, Tudor myth etc.), but I am not too sure on Looking for Richard. I kind of think it might have to do with the film's post-modern influence, but I'm not sure on how it relates with historical and political context. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4352 on: March 31, 2019, 05:42:26 pm »
+2
Hey all,

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I just have a question regarding Module A- Richard III and Looking for Richard:

What is the historical and political context of Looking for Richard? I have formed an opinion on the historical and political context of Shakespeare (War of the Roses, constant switch between Catholicism and Protestantism, Tudor myth etc.), but I am not too sure on Looking for Richard. I kind of think it might have to do with the film's post-modern influence, but I'm not sure on how it relates with historical and political context. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Hey there,

I didn't study RIII/Looking for Richard but maybe you could talk about how post-modernism has caused the questioning of humanity. You could also talk about the rise of secularisation, in contrast to Shakespeare's emphasis on religion.

Hopefully this gives you a sense of direction on where to research :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4353 on: April 03, 2019, 04:11:45 pm »
Hey! Sorry for posting so much  :-[ !

I'm wondering if anybody could look over my reflection on Module A - Textual conversations, in relation to Hag Seed and The Tempest, and give me some feedback??? 
It's part B of an upcoming assessment task.

If someone replies I'll send it through.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4354 on: April 03, 2019, 05:19:02 pm »
Hey! Sorry for posting so much  :-[ !

I'm wondering if anybody could look over my reflection on Module A - Textual conversations, in relation to Hag Seed and The Tempest, and give me some feedback??? 
It's part B of an upcoming assessment task.

If someone replies I'll send it through.

Never apologise for posting!! ;D we have a section entirely for feedback on essays and such! You can find it here :)

violet123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4355 on: April 03, 2019, 10:02:48 pm »
Hi,
I am doing advanced English. I haven't done well in my Mod A task. I got 80% for my first one but only 64% for my second one. Theoretically, if I achieve full marks for everything from now on I did some calculation and my marks won't pass 87. I am so paranoid about this. What can I do to make sure I achieve high marks in my MOD C and Trials task?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4356 on: April 03, 2019, 10:36:03 pm »
+2
Hi,
I am doing advanced English. I haven't done well in my Mod A task. I got 80% for my first one but only 64% for my second one. Theoretically, if I achieve full marks for everything from now on I did some calculation and my marks won't pass 87. I am so paranoid about this. What can I do to make sure I achieve high marks in my MOD C and Trials task?
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure how you calculated your marks theoretically but you shouldn't have to worry about that! Your upcoming assessment tasks are opportunities for you to improve your marks, and I don't mean getting full marks in everything. Just make focus on doing well in your future assessment tasks, and then in Trials, make sure your marks in all sections (common module, Mod A, B and C) are consistent.

As for some general advice for Mod C, I would suggest to develop your creative early. Obviously, I didn't complete the new syllabus but one thing I learnt last year when doing my creative was that starting early allowed me to spend more time editing, refining and fleshing out my ideas. So start reading your prescribed texts if you haven't yet and take the time to note the writing style of the composers.

And for Trials, make sure you know how to improve your essays and talk to your teacher. For example, you mentioned how you haven't done well in your Mod A task, so make sure you ask your teacher on why you didn't do well. It might be disheartening to go through where you went wrong but it's better for you in the long term. I remember getting 15/20 in my Mod C task (and these marks were given back to me the week before Trials) and I had to change my Mod C related text three days before my Trials after talking to my teacher. Was it stressful? Definitely, but I focused on noting my weaknesses and ended up with a 19/20 for Mod C. Also, if you still don't understand something about your texts, re-read it (if it's a novel, it would be better to skim through your notes). Sometimes understanding texts take time. When I studied Yeats' poetry, it took me up to the week before my HSC to finally understand his poems and develop my own voice.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #4357 on: April 19, 2019, 06:39:29 pm »
Evening Girls and Boys,

I'm currently looking for ways to improve my creative writing. I know the general answer will be "practice" and fair enough, but does anyone have anything in particular they do to improve their writing? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to engage more 'creatively' with texts?

Thank you!

Jack

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4358 on: April 19, 2019, 07:17:42 pm »
+2
Evening Girls and Boys,

I'm currently looking for ways to improve my creative writing. I know the general answer will be "practice" and fair enough, but does anyone have anything in particular they do to improve their writing? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to engage more 'creatively' with texts?

Thank you!

Jack

Hey Jack! Creatives were never my forte but I do have two tips:

- Always have a common thread in every story you write. Same character, or same setting, or... You get the idea. The point is to give yourself a launching point, while everything else changes to suit whatever question/prompt you are given ;D mine was the same character, who I just wrote about differently depending on what I needed :) it's almost like method acting, but it's method writing!
- Read this guide!

anita.mariel

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4359 on: April 20, 2019, 02:59:46 pm »
Hi everyone!
For holiday homework, I have been set a practice discursive essay based off Margaret Atwood's speech, 'Spotty-Handed Villianesses'.

I have been having a lot of problems with writing a discursive essay, I have read over the syllabus and I know that discursive essays explore different perspectives and opinions on an idea, however I am unsure on many other aspects of this text type. So, I thought I would come on here to ask a few questions.

How do you structure a discursive essay? I feel like when I am writing it there is absolutely no structure, which makes me confused on what to write.
When asked to refer to a text, how do you incorporate it into the essay?
Is there anywhere I can go to see some example discursive essays?

Honestly, I am just very confused on how to write this, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Anita

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #4360 on: April 20, 2019, 04:17:24 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!
For holiday homework, I have been set a practice discursive essay based off Margaret Atwood's speech, 'Spotty-Handed Villianesses'.

I have been having a lot of problems with writing a discursive essay, I have read over the syllabus and I know that discursive essays explore different perspectives and opinions on an idea, however I am unsure on many other aspects of this text type. So, I thought I would come on here to ask a few questions.

How do you structure a discursive essay? I feel like when I am writing it there is absolutely no structure, which makes me confused on what to write.

Honestly, I am just very confused on how to write this, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Anita
Hey there! I didn't do the new syllabus, so don't expect too much from me for English (I'm more of a maths & science person). From what I know, discursive essays tend to stray from the main point, but at the same time you have to be fluent and expansive when you write a discursive essay. When you refer to a text, just go 'Text' (year of publication) explores ... and so on. You can go on Google and search for discursive essays, that's all from me.
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4361 on: April 22, 2019, 11:39:40 am »
Hey everyone,

I am struggling a lot in terms of analysing my texts, which are Richard III and Looking For Richard. I have made a table with the rubric on one side and am struggling to come up with quotes and analysis.

How does everyone come to know their texts inside and out in a short amount of time? Unlike other schools, my half-yearlies are in three weeks and I am really struggling in engaging with my texts, if that makes sense.

Thanks!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4362 on: April 22, 2019, 11:46:17 am »
+3
Hey everyone,

I am struggling a lot in terms of analysing my texts, which are Richard III and Looking For Richard. I have made a table with the rubric on one side and am struggling to come up with quotes and analysis.

How does everyone come to know their texts inside and out in a short amount of time? Unlike other schools, my half-yearlies are in three weeks and I am really struggling in engaging with my texts, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Hey! Have you checked out the free notes section? There are tonnes of notes on LFR/KRII that might help you get started with where to focus in the texts ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4363 on: April 22, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »
+3
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Hey, r1ckworthy!

As Jamon's suggested, looking at existing notes can help you figure out the best way to organise your own! I also recommend starting off by identifying quotes that are similar across both texts since it's a comparative study. This will help you pair them up in analysis and engage in the "textual conversation" they are having  ;D Once you've paired them up, you can then outline what meanings have remained relevant over time and also where meanings may have been adjusted, altered or challenged in retrospection  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4364 on: April 22, 2019, 01:36:28 pm »
+3
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!
Anita

Hey, Anita!

Discursive writing is a new form being introduced into the syllabus for Mod C. I'm clarifying this because not many students, and teachers even, will know how they work and what discursive writing entails. I'll do my best to give some advice but do take it with a grain of salt as I myself am still familiarising myself around it.

As David's said, discursive writing requires a discussion of ideas from various angles which are expanded and integrated into one overall observation/judgement you wish to put forth. As opposed to an essay which is more strictly written. discursive writing welcomes personal voice and flair, enabling you to articulate your ideas in a freer context.

When it comes to structuring a discursive essay, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what is correct. Your structure should essentially be designed around the way you wish to logically present your ideas  8) What you need to do is separate your points into distinct groups and then figure out what order you would like to place them in order for there to be a sustained flow and coherence. If you read George Orwell's essays for example, which are quite discursive in nature, they are all structured differently to suit the perspective he is communicating. I would suggest reading some essays from writers such as Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath and Edgar Allan Poe too if you would like to see how different essays can be structured  :)

When referring to a text, I agree with David in that you would introduce it as you would normally in an essay with the Author's Text Type 'Title' (Year of Publication) template. In discursive writing, there isn't as huge of a focus on analysis of techniques; the essay should discuss the concepts and ideas surrounding the text and how it relates to the rest of your subject matter  :) Continue to refer back to the marking criteria to see what your markers are looking for and if you still are unsure, email your teacher and ask for more clarification! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music