Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:27:33 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231626 times)

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4305 on: January 29, 2019, 10:47:12 am »
+3
Hi guys,
For my HSC Task 1 I have to make a Ted Talk comparing a Kenneth Slessor to a related text and I am thinking of comparing 'Beach Burial' with 'Three Cups of Tea'.

However, I'm getting confused with what I have to do.
Would someone please be able to explain what it means by 'the anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies that exist in the representation of such experiences' and pretty much what they want me to do.
I have been on exchange for two months and this is due next week  :'(
Thanks!!

Hey!
So, in your assessment you're required to talk about the different, contradicting and inconsistent nature of human experiences and how they're represented in your texts. So, when comparing your texts you would talk about how each text represented the same/similar human experiences differently and how these experiences show how despite having the same experience, it can be extremely different and possibly contradicting. Thus, this would show the inconsistencies in human experiences. Does this make sense?

I read your notification, and it looks like they gave you the option to choose between talking about how human experiences are the same or different. Basically, you're required to choose (I'm going to guess 2-3 or how many you would need to meet your time limit) human experiences that exist in both your prescribed and related text and then analyse how they are different or the same.

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

abdulrahmanb8

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4306 on: January 30, 2019, 11:30:31 pm »
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask a question in relation to the following essay from NESA's samples.

Through the telling and receiving of stories, we become more aware of ourselves and our shared human experiences.
Explore this statement with close reference to your prescribed text.

Was just wondering how this question should be interpreted, since it places focus on both the 'telling' and 'receiving' aspects of storytelling, are we expected explore texts' ability to create self-awareness for both the audience and the composer. Ie. Should we be linking back to our text's effects on us, as well as on the author's human experience too?

Also, wanted to ask if this could be a suitable thesis:
Through the process of storytelling, composers explore the paradoxical, multifaceted nature of the human experience, thus allowing for responders to expand their awareness of the underlying complexities of such experience.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #4307 on: January 31, 2019, 09:19:30 am »
+3
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask a question in relation to the following essay from NESA's samples.

Through the telling and receiving of stories, we become more aware of ourselves and our shared human experiences.
Explore this statement with close reference to your prescribed text.

Was just wondering how this question should be interpreted, since it places focus on both the 'telling' and 'receiving' aspects of storytelling, are we expected explore texts' ability to create self-awareness for both the audience and the composer. Ie. Should we be linking back to our text's effects on us, as well as on the author's human experience too?

Also, wanted to ask if this could be a suitable thesis:
Through the process of storytelling, composers explore the paradoxical, multifaceted nature of the human experience, thus allowing for responders to expand their awareness of the underlying complexities of such experience.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Hey!
So you'd discuss how the author/composer is able to convey his own human experiences and what effect that has on the audience. Basically, you'd link back on the effects that the text and composer's human experiences had on the audience.

In regard to your thesis, It would be suitable, it would just need a full stop before 'Thus'.

Hope this helped!
2018 hsc; mathematics

abdulrahmanb8

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4308 on: January 31, 2019, 03:59:05 pm »
Hey!
So you'd discuss how the author/composer is able to convey his own human experiences and what effect that has on the audience. Basically, you'd link back on the effects that the text and composer's human experiences had on the audience.

In regard to your thesis, It would be suitable, it would just need a full stop before 'Thus'.

Hope this helped!
Thanks! I guess that makes sense.

If my thesis stops before thus, do you reckon it's good enough to address the 'we become more aware of ourselves and our shared human experience' part of the question?

Appreciate the assistance

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #4309 on: January 31, 2019, 05:06:23 pm »
+1
Thanks! I guess that makes sense.

If my thesis stops before thus, do you reckon it's good enough to address the 'we become more aware of ourselves and our shared human experience' part of the question?

Appreciate the assistance

No Worries!
It is perfectly acceptable to have a full stop (o two) in your thesis! If you feel can address that part within your thesis, then I would suggest that you do.

Hope this helped!
2018 hsc; mathematics

Livjane_2203

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4310 on: February 01, 2019, 09:18:26 am »
Hi, I am in advanced english and am currently trying to come up with a strong thesis for my multi-modal presentation.

I am thinking of trying to combine these two ideas somehow:

1. Human experience cannot be viewed solely as the transition from child to adult but rather the continual progression or evolution of human experience. Experience is not limited by time it has a continual impact alluding to the intertwined nature of childhood and adulthood.

2. It is engrained within humans to be the seeker of truth, we live our lives questioning and reflecting. This enforces and evolution of thought and therefore our wordy perception.

At the end of my presentation I was going to bring up how the postmodernist perspective of how truth doesn't exist and how we live our lives searching for something that cannot be found.

I just need some help with how I could combine these ideas and how to make my thesis statement strong and concise.  I appreciate any help that anyone would be able to give.

Thanks.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #4311 on: February 01, 2019, 05:08:15 pm »
+4
Hi, I am in advanced english and am currently trying to come up with a strong thesis for my multi-modal presentation.

I am thinking of trying to combine these two ideas somehow:

1. Human experience cannot be viewed solely as the transition from child to adult but rather the continual progression or evolution of human experience. Experience is not limited by time it has a continual impact alluding to the intertwined nature of childhood and adulthood.

2. It is engrained within humans to be the seeker of truth, we live our lives questioning and reflecting. This enforces and evolution of thought and therefore our wordy perception.

At the end of my presentation I was going to bring up how the postmodernist perspective of how truth doesn't exist and how we live our lives searching for something that cannot be found.

I just need some help with how I could combine these ideas and how to make my thesis statement strong and concise.  I appreciate any help that anyone would be able to give.

Thanks.

I am trying to understand aspects of the module myself but I think you can connect those two quite nicely. Both centre around the idea that human growth and development, on a personal and emotional level, is not confined by time. Rather, we are constantly questioning and reflecting throughout our life, leading to new perspectives and ideas which change the way we view ourselves and the world.

So that is hopefully what you were trying to say in essence - your thesis should only be one sentence or so, so something like: The human experience is forever changing as to reflect our constant search for meaning and truth - a journey not bound by experience or age.

Is that close to what you were after?
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

jess_gyan

• Fresh Poster
  • Status; Burning to smithereens from HSC
« Reply #4312 on: February 10, 2019, 11:53:44 am »
Hi! First time posting up on Atarnotes, I won't take too long.
Background; I have received Task 2 for Module C and it requires a creative piece written in class along with 3 (1-3 marks) questions about the stimulus (unknown). The school has outlined that the form that would be accepted is a persuasive or creative response. What would an acceptable persuasive format/structure for secondary school would look like? 

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #4313 on: February 10, 2019, 02:27:35 pm »
+1
Hi! First time posting up on Atarnotes, I won't take too long.
Background; I have received Task 2 for Module C and it requires a creative piece written in class along with 3 (1-3 marks) questions about the stimulus (unknown). The school has outlined that the form that would be accepted is a persuasive or creative response. What would an acceptable persuasive format/structure for secondary school would look like?

Hey!
Welcome to the forums.
My understanding of a creative persuasive is something along the lines of a creative essay. You can definitely search up and find out how they're written and all but my understanding is they are more challenging than your traditional creative piece.

Hope this helped!
2018 hsc; mathematics

ampx

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4314 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49:11 am »
Hey,  got a practice question from school

"stories interpret human experiences " write an essay relating to Doerr's All the light we cannot see and one related text of your choosing in regards to the statement.

the statement is so broad idk where to start

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #4315 on: February 11, 2019, 03:14:05 pm »
+3
Hey,  got a practice question from school

"stories interpret human experiences " write an essay relating to Doerr's All the light we cannot see and one related text of your choosing in regards to the statement.

the statement is so broad idk where to start

Hey ampx!

Welcome to the forums!
I'd start by writing a thesis, to what extent do you agree/disagree with this statement?
After you have a thesis you're happy with, collect quotes from your prescribed and related texts that work to prove your thesis and are aligned with the statement.

Then, you can write your essay. Feel free to PM me if you need any more help or post your draft in the "Marking and Feedback" section of the forums!

Hope this helped!
2018 hsc; mathematics

maddi.mccarthy

• Adventurer
« Reply #4316 on: February 16, 2019, 02:25:27 pm »
Hi guys,
This is a question about the common module, but when I tried the other thread it wouldn't let me respond so I'm just using this one.
I went to Emily's lecture in the holidays for English Advanced and the advice for the common module was to come up with a thesis statement that you then use for all questions, and change the question to suit your thesis.
This is one I've come up with, I'm wondering if you could give som advice on it? Is it too specific, too complex etc.
"Texts allow us to understand the human experience because they provide insights into the anomalies and paradoxes in human experiences, allowing readers to reflect back on and critique their personal experience. "
Thanks!

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #4317 on: February 16, 2019, 02:54:34 pm »
+2
Hi guys,
This is a question about the common module, but when I tried the other thread it wouldn't let me respond so I'm just using this one.
I went to Emily's lecture in the holidays for English Advanced and the advice for the common module was to come up with a thesis statement that you then use for all questions, and change the question to suit your thesis.
This is one I've come up with, I'm wondering if you could give som advice on it? Is it too specific, too complex etc.
"Texts allow us to understand the human experience because they provide insights into the anomalies and paradoxes in human experiences, allowing readers to reflect back on and critique their personal experience. "
Thanks!

Hey!
Your thesis is nicely written, I think it addresses the important parts of the rubric and should be easy to mould into the essay question. However, I would put a full stop in the middle of it.

So it'd be like; "Texts allow us to understand the human experience because they provide insights into the anomalies and paradoxes in human experiences. This allows readers to reflect back on and critique their personal experience."

Hope this helps!
2018 hsc; mathematics

Ufrah

• Adventurer
« Reply #4318 on: February 17, 2019, 10:08:36 am »
hi so I have this essay question for my Module A essay on King Richard III/Looking for Richard:
To what extent are Richard's opening words a confirmation of the power of context to define a situation, and how has the reimagining of Shakespeare's King Richard III by Pacino aligned with the values of his context?

I'm struggling to understand what this question requires, as it seems almost as though it is two questions? Any help on what this question is asking would be much appreciated..

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #4319 on: February 17, 2019, 10:53:43 am »
+2
hi so I have this essay question for my Module A essay on King Richard III/Looking for Richard:
To what extent are Richard's opening words a confirmation of the power of context to define a situation, and how has the reimagining of Shakespeare's King Richard III by Pacino aligned with the values of his context?

I'm struggling to understand what this question requires, as it seems almost as though it is two questions? Any help on what this question is asking would be much appreciated..

Hey!

Essentially its two questions, but they relate to each other. Think of it as a part (b) which you need part (a) to answer.

So the first part of the question requires you to look at Richard's opening words and look at the extent to which context was able to influence this. The second part allows you to look at Looking for Richard and how it aligned with the values of the new context.

Basically, you are analysing how context was able to make the texts similar/different. I'd structure it as the first paragraph to answer the first part and the next two paragraphs on the second part of the question (one where you look at how the new context influenced the reimagining differently and another on how it made it similar). If you need any more clarification, please let me know.

Hope this helped!
2018 hsc; mathematics