Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:17:47 am

Author Topic: Class of 2020 General Discussion  (Read 15996 times)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: Class of 2020 General Discussion
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 06:36:06 pm »
+5
This whole COVID situation is so stressful (for me anyway, but I find everything stressful so what's new? ;D)...
They are getting rid of one of the IAs, which I dont know how they can calculate our ATARs fairly if each school is getting rid of a different IA (some schools removing IA2, some removing IA3). My school will be removing IA3 - which is super sucky because I love research investigations!!!!

For science, in particular, I don't understand how QCAA can say that a student experiment is of the same difficulty as a research investigation? Sure, they have the same assessment objectives, but there is so much more room to stuff up the SE - if you collect bad data it's hard to get a good mark. Additionally, IA2 is for unit 3 content, IA3 is unit 4 content - it's completely different. I know all of my peers found the research investigation much easier and way less stressful, but it looks like we wont be doing another one.

As for subjects like English, IA2 is an assignment; whereas, IA3 is an exam (which you can get no feedback when preparing for it). I'm glad that I dont have to do IA3 for english, creative writing aint my thing. I just have to pray that I did well on the feature article.

I understand that they did this to try and relieve pressure and ease our anxiety, but for students (like myself) who have already completed IA2, it is so much more stressful only having 2 IAs. My school completed IA2 when the COVID-19 situation was getting more and more serious. We were already stressed out enough about that, and then they chuck assignments on top. None of us were able to process anything that was going on in our lives. QLD decided that last week would be a student free week so that schools can prepare for online learning, yet my grade still had to come in for exams.
It just makes it stressful for us because we werent warned that we could potentially lose an IA, so now we just have to hope that we did well on that last one. We dont have the chance to pick our grade up, even though we originally thought we did.

My school wasnt going to complete IA3 until term 3. I think by then the lockdown should hopefully be over, or restrictions should at least be lessened in regard to schooling. I think students who only have to do IA3 now are lucky because they get time to process everything and arent having to complete assessment while circumstances are really uncertain and anxiety levels are heightened.

Am I complaining? No. These are just some observations I have made and my own opinions. Am I stressed out of my mind? Yes - though, I think I will be ok. The only subject I am worried about its methods. I highly doubt it will be in my top 5, which is what I was originally hoping.

I wish everyone the best of luck during this stressful and uncertain period!
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 02:08:05 pm »
+1
Hi, Class of 2020!

I don't think I have contributed to this forum before but as I am apart of the Class of 2020, I'll definitely try to contribute more to this forum. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone does Literature or Modern History? I feel kinda lonely on ATAR Notes as I have noticed that there's not much of a community for those subjects compared to the other subjects.

Also, is interested in being apart of a QCE Class of 2020 Study group with me for the external exams? I mean, it would depend on the subjects that we all do but it can be a general study preparation group if that's what you guys prefer. Also, the QCAA just released the external exam timetable if anyone hasn't seen it yet -- I have attached it to this post to make your lives easier as navigating the QCAA website is definitely a nightmare, to begin with.

Sorry for the little self-promo but I am also offering services to help anyone and everyone with their last internal assessments, so I am open to proofreading, editing and commenting suggestions for you to improve your assignments if you need any help. I didn't really know where to put this "advertisement" as I am not apart of a tuition company or a registered tutor, so I'll put in this forum for now. But if you are interested, please don't hesitate to contact me via this thread, through the ATAR Notes private messages or through my email: [email protected]

And also, one last question but are there going to be any QCE Literature and Modern History subject guides coming soon? I'm really interested in reading more about how to improve these subjects for my external exams.

Have a great week everyone,

Darcy Dillon :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 02:39:50 pm »
Hey Darcy! :) Welcome to this side of the forums.

Also, is interested in being apart of a QCE Class of 2020 Study group with me for the external exams? I mean, it would depend on the subjects that we all do but it can be a general study preparation group if that's what you guys prefer.

I would love to be part of a study group! Sounds great :) I know I have bio and english in common with you - I, unfortunately, don't do lit, general maths or history.
This is gonna sound random, but you're in the QCE Bio hangouts group chat right? I feel like I've seen you on there a few times...
Anywho, study groups sound like a good idea!

- Katelyn :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 02:57:24 pm »
+1
Hi K. Smithy,

I am apart of the QCE Bio hangout group actually! And yeah not a lot of people do my selection of subjects but I would be more than happy to arrange a Biology/English study group with you :)

Thanks,

Darcy

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 03:02:25 pm »
+1

re: literature

I would definitely encourage you to post any questions you might have. Lauren is a legend at literature, contributes to the forums, & is familiar with the QCE syllabus so def worth asking if you do have anything there. Over in the HSC section I know there are some modern history buffs; I don't know how much crossover there is between the syllabuses but might be worth checking out.

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 03:26:21 pm »
Hi Bri!

Thanks so much for the advice. I was just a bit worried as I haven't really seen a Literature or a Modern History "community" on the QCE ATAR Notes forums but I'll definitely ask Lauren about any questions I have regarding to those subjects.

Kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 03:38:08 pm »
Hi Bri!

Thanks so much for the advice. I was just a bit worried as I haven't really seen a Literature or a Modern History "community" on the QCE ATAR Notes forums but I'll definitely ask Lauren about any questions I have regarding to those subjects.

Kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

No worries!

I definitely recommend asking questions on the forums where anyone can answer, just saying that even if it's a bit quiet now there are knowledgeable voices around :)  I don't know if she has experience with modern history, my comment on that subject was around the HSC community.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 08:15:30 pm »
+1
Hey Class of 2020,

Just thought I'd let you guys know that this Wednesday will mark 100 days until you guys graduate :)

Good luck everyone,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

matthew hay

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2020, 08:07:10 pm »
Hey all,

Can you please share with me how to calculate your overall subject scores (concerning me its Maths Methods, English, Chemistry, Physics and Modern History) or perhaps link me to a post that talks about this?

I'm confused as to how to do it exactly, especially with the removal of an internal assessment and all; hence what the weighings are for each internal assessment piece are. I would super duper appreciate this!  ;D ;D

Regards,
Fellow 2020 QCE student

tinglewood

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 10:27:38 pm »
Hi

The QCAA have released information that shows how the marks will be calculated. The gist of it is despite only doing 2 internal assessment your marks will be converted to a score either out of 75 or 50 depending on your subjects. The marks for IA1 & IA2 will be weighted slightly higher than if you did IA1 & IA3.  The link that explains it is below:

https://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/downloads/coronavirus-updates/How-subject-results-will-be-calculated-in-2020.pdf

Hope this helps

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 06:58:42 pm »
+1
Congratulations to you all on finishing your externals :)