Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:05 pm

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 80009 times)

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
Re: Geoo's VCE Journey
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2019, 07:56:01 am »
+3
School Holidays - 25/09/19 - 37 Days To Exams

Hello and welcome to my personal freakout! I am beyond overwhelmed at the shear size of biology content I need to know, and it is only know that I am going over that I am seeing everything I need to do. I haven't even started revision, since I only finished all the content last week. I also don't know where to start. I have gone back and fourth on whether to just look at note and then done exams, or go over the study design and then do exams. I haven't actually done anything these school holidays....

On Saturday I went to the ATAR notes 3/4 bio lecture, which was fantastic by the way, and boy was it also a nightmare. So I had to drive about and an hour and 45 minutes just to get into the city, then discover all the road work and that Swanston street was blocked off, and then find the lecture hall. Then once I got there, my health took a nose dive and I could barely right any notes down as I sat there tired an dizzy. So not off to a great start. Even though I couldn't take any notes, just sitting in and listing was really valuable. And the question where everyone thought it was D but it was really B.....

Anyway, I got back at about 8, and became a potato. Sunday was also kinda bad, and due to me being an idiot I ended up in pain for the whole day, so it was a bit of a rid off. On Monday I decided to treat myself and bought Stardew Vally on Steam, which I very much regret. I am addicted, and now I don't want to do my work.... I just can't find the motivation as I am incredibly overwhelmed at how much work I need to do, and the fact that there is so little time. I am trying to justify the game by listening to Douchy's podcast.

That sums up my holidays so far, I wish everyone luck on their study's, and if you see my motivation floating around let me know where it is!

Hey Geo!

Finding motivation can definitely be hard, it helps me to remember that we still have next year to get though and bio is just one of those 6/5 subjects. Also, relaxing is so important so there is no use beating yourself up about it. The best relaxing is when you allow yourself to have a break and watch tv, no use getting annoyed at yourself because then you don't reek the full benefits! 

Also remember that every little bit counts! Similar to you, I often stare at my 121 pages of bio notes and unproductively think about what needs to be done. The best way is to DO something, whether it be memorise those inputs or outputs of aerobic respiration for ten minutes and then get back to relaxing. Study doesn't need to take up so much time, its the small consistent steps that make a difference .

I am also a year 11 doing bio 3/4 and I definitely think it helps to remember why you picked biology and why you like it, rather than worrying about the huge amount of content to study. Also, once you start revision, you'll realise that a lot of the content you already know from the hard work you have put in throughout the year. Good luck and you can do it!

Also thanks for the countdown  :-\ haha
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2019, 08:40:37 pm »
+2
Ooo the Bio 3/4 lecture
I might've gone to the same one but I didn't like it as much (partially because I'm doing Unit 1 at school and this is a 3/4 revision lecture) but I found it a bit rushed since it's done in only 3 hours
Glad to know you liked it though!
I definitely felt like it went too fast, but it is what you get for a 3 hour lecture and a bunch of teens on their holidays.... I was barely able to write any notes down because it went so quickly, so I gave up and am just going to review the slides instead.
Good to know that your 1/2 lecture went well for you though!

Hey Geo!

Finding motivation can definitely be hard, it helps me to remember that we still have next year to get though and bio is just one of those 6/5 subjects. Also, relaxing is so important so there is no use beating yourself up about it. The best relaxing is when you allow yourself to have a break and watch tv, no use getting annoyed at yourself because then you don't reek the full benefits! 

Also remember that every little bit counts! Similar to you, I often stare at my 121 pages of bio notes and unproductively think about what needs to be done. The best way is to DO something, whether it be memorise those inputs or outputs of aerobic respiration for ten minutes and then get back to relaxing. Study doesn't need to take up so much time, its the small consistent steps that make a difference .

I am also a year 11 doing bio 3/4 and I definitely think it helps to remember why you picked biology and why you like it, rather than worrying about the huge amount of content to study. Also, once you start revision, you'll realise that a lot of the content you already know from the hard work you have put in throughout the year. Good luck and you can do it!

Also thanks for the countdown  :-\ haha
Hey, thanks for the reply, and some great advice you are giving out there! Biology is one of my favourite subjects and I think it is just really daunting to look at everything you need to know inside and out, and your right, it really is just a matter of getting started. So for me, my goal is to just sit at my desk chair and hope something will happen, haha.

Good luck with your studies!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2019, 09:11:42 pm »
+4
I definitely felt like it went too fast, but it is what you get for a 3 hour lecture and a bunch of teens on their holidays.... I was barely able to write any notes down because it went so quickly, so I gave up and am just going to review the slides instead.
Good to know that your 1/2 lecture went well for you though!
Hey, thanks for the reply, and some great advice you are giving out there! Biology is one of my favourite subjects and I think it is just really daunting to look at everything you need to know inside and out, and your right, it really is just a matter of getting started. So for me, my goal is to just sit at my desk chair and hope something will happen, haha.

Good luck with your studies!

My throat still hasn't recovered from QCE lectures which finished yesterday. Don't know how well I'd cope if lectures were more than 3 hours

For motivation trying to set patterns and doing something small/low-effort/quick/easy when you're struggling to do something intimidating would be my advice. Maybe also try sitting somewhere different when playing games than you do for studying so you can build place association and get in the right mindset easier.

Good luck!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
+3
My throat still hasn't recovered from QCE lectures which finished yesterday. Don't know how well I'd cope if lectures were more than 3 hours

For motivation trying to set patterns and doing something small/low-effort/quick/easy when you're struggling to do something intimidating would be my advice. Maybe also try sitting somewhere different when playing games than you do for studying so you can build place association and get in the right mindset easier.

Good luck!
I can really feel for the lectures! Speaking for so long can really give you a soar throat. I hope yours gets better, and try drink lots of honey and lemon (that has always helped for me).Some very good tips there, I do try to hobby spaces and study, but sometimes it can be difficult around the house. And I always like to study at my desk, I just have everything near by, and it is where I am most productive.
Instead of doing big blocks, I have jut started on topic tests that are small and easier the doing massive exams! Which is definitely a good starting point when being overwhelmed.

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2019, 05:26:10 pm »
+8
School Holidays - 02/10/19 - 30 Days Till Exam

I have finally started exam prep, yay me. It took a while, but I bit the bullet and sat in my desk chair and got to work. No I haven't done alot, but it is still progress. I am going through the NEAP 2017 topic tests before I move onto exams. I am averaging about 65-80% across the 5/10 topic tests I have done.
Now, I don't want to disrespect my teachers (who are fantastic) because they are really great, but the amount of content coming up in these test that I don't know (haven't been taught) is alot. This is a bit eye opening into the quality of education I have been given, or maybe it is just NEAP putting unrelated things in the tests. I also don't know if I should to company or VCAA exam first, my teacher has told me to do company and than VCAA, what do you guys recommend?

So you may be asking for examples.... here are just some of the things I wasn't taught but was required to on the tests:
-Pentose sugar (never heard of it)
-Coagulation involving platelets (this wasn't even mentioned)
-Lipophilic signals
-Molecules of either hydrophillic or hydrophobic nature (like if a protein can pass through, or a steroid, I wasn't given any specific examples)
-R groups and G proteins
-Dipeptide somethings (can't remember what they are called or how to draw them)
-limited info on hydrolysis
-The structure and function of neurons and how neurotransmitters work(I could only answer these question from my year 9 knowledge...) 
-Gene regulation.....

There are a few more, but these are just some of the basics. The good thing is is that as I go back, I have actually retained quite alot of knowledge of the unit three stuff, it is just remembering specific details and the answering questions. I think I am finding it difficult to answer the short questions. I know how to answer them, just not how to express myself clearly and making sure get all the information needed to get the mark. For instance, if an enzyme will stop working/lose function after reaching a certain temperature, I answered these questions by saying "the enzyme has gone past it's optimum temperature range and has now lost function permanently." I should have said, "the enzyme has gone past it's optimum temperature which has denatured so the active site has lost it's shape it's specific substrate can no longer bind."  (i never remember to put specific in there)
It is just little things here and there that will take some time and practice to get use to. That is pretty much all for biology.

I have done some chemistry these holidays by doing an experiment at home for a poster that was due last term, but I got an extension so I have finally gotten around to it. I do plan to do some catch up maths (since i'm 12 weeks behind....), but I keep putting it off......

On a personal note, I am physically feeling way better than last week. I have been trying out those hydrolyte tablets to help with my brain fog and fatigue, and it seems to be giving me more concentration. My poor cat had to have an operation today which we just got home from. His canine tooth has cracked/splinted and was becoming infected with quite of bit of inflammation of the surrounding gum. He now has a removed canine tooth, can't go outside for a few days, but other than that, he is a little spooked but feeling a lot better.
I haven't done a lot of reading these holidays, but I am currently reading the devouring grey which has been ok/mediocre so far and have made a banana cake last week with plans to make another one tomorrow, and for now that's it.

Have fun studying!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:29:57 pm by Geoo »

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2019, 09:58:36 pm »
+5
Term 4 - 08/10/19 - 24 Days Till Exam

I can't believe the school holidays are over! I didn't get anywhere near as much study done as I wanted, and I am now suffering the stress of not doing enough exam prep. I have done some topic tests, and got through all the multiple choice question on the 2018 bio exam and then completely stuffed up the short answered questions....... Getting that 45 seems like just a dream at the moment, but I just have to work harder to get there.

This has made me doubt myself so much and made me stop doing practice exams. I know that more practice the better, but this really put a dent in my spirt, but I really need to get back on the banwagon to exam prep. I am hoping to do 1 exam a day, or at least one part to try do something. I just can't believe were the time has gone. I am also really scared of having a fatigue episode on the day, were I am just so tired that nothing computes.....

Biology
Pretty much just studying for exams at the moment. I do have my last SAC this week (yay), and also need to start studying that as well!

English
I hate this subject so much at the moment. I can't find any motivation for to write any more essays, read or just do anything. I am getting constantly frustrated with my writing and what we have to write. There is a final SAC in 2 weeks time, and a practice exam this week, which I am putting off for as long as possible....

Chemistry
So guess who stayed up to finish their scientific poster, me... It honestly wasn't that much to do, and I managed to write the whole thing within 2.5 hours after getting the results. The experiment that I did went just so horribly wrong, and my entire discussion part was just me explain all the errors and solutions that could have made it better. I am not enjoying unit 2 of chemistry, it has to be one of the most boring things I have done in a while. Just the sheer amount on water...... I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! The good thing is is that I only have 1 week to go, and them it is done for the year!!!!!!!

Food Studies
So this is the last SAC for the year, and I am currently 2/3 through it. I have done all the write up and all I need to do is cook the dish, which is just a buddha bowl since it meets all the constraints and considerations. There is an exam in two weeks, but I am going to try do it this week to get it out of the way for my other studies. And as the same with chem, I will be done for the year.

Methods
I only have myself to blame for how behind I am in methods, 13 weeks. I just kept putting it up and it has pilled on. I have to balance my other subjects, bio exam prep, and cramming an entire semester of methods in 4 weeks.... yay me. It is a reduced work load which is good.

I do apoligise that this is so negative. I am very stressed an frustrated as my health plus all the things I need to do are staggering. Everyone studies at the own pace but I can't even manage a normal work load. I am "home schooled", yet I can only work for 3-4 hours a day, with massive naps in between that last for 4-6 hours. Trying to do some much work when I just can't find the time is so frustrating! So, I do apologise, but that is what this journal is for, to tell how my VCE journey is going, this is just a down moment  in the ups and downs of life. Good luck studying everyone!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:00:21 pm by Geoo »

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2019, 10:20:01 pm »
+3
snip-

I know exactly how you feel buddy. I feel horrible that I didn't get nearly enough study done over the holidays. But your VCE subject this year is a chance to learn and improve next year. I hope you pick up your motivation soon and continue ploughing on - it's really the only thing we can do. It's always the best scenario to finish the exam feeling like you did your very best, so that's what we're all working towards, I suppose. And that 45 of yours can very soon become not a dream, but a reality! I believe in you. With practice, I'm sure you'll smash it.

And don't apologise about being negative - we all feel like that sometimes. But it's about how you pick yourself back up again (resilience! psych kids will know). Good luck with your studies, and your exams!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

YussifK

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2019, 11:12:43 pm »
+3
Heellllooooo Geeoooo, I just read through everything, and I found something eye catching.... your doing so well in bio do you have any study tips for biology sacs to pass on to younger future vce students ??

Please do
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2019, 07:41:12 pm »
+1
I know exactly how you feel buddy. I feel horrible that I didn't get nearly enough study done over the holidays. But your VCE subject this year is a chance to learn and improve next year. I hope you pick up your motivation soon and continue ploughing on - it's really the only thing we can do. It's always the best scenario to finish the exam feeling like you did your very best, so that's what we're all working towards, I suppose. And that 45 of yours can very soon become not a dream, but a reality! I believe in you. With practice, I'm sure you'll smash it.

And don't apologise about being negative - we all feel like that sometimes. But it's about how you pick yourself back up again (resilience! psych kids will know). Good luck with your studies, and your exams!
Awe thank you so much, this meant alot to me! Today I marked my first complete prac exam for bio, and I ended up with a 47%..... This really broke me today, so thank you for the kind words. I am really struggling at the moment with everything but it is nice to have some solidarity!
Heellllooooo Geeoooo, I just read through everything, and I found something eye catching.... your doing so well in bio do you have any study tips for biology sacs to pass on to younger future vce students ??

Please do
Hey thanks for reading! At the moment I am not up to giving tips at the moment as I am really struggling with bio exams at this time, so I don't feel confident to give others tips right now. If I do well, I may give some in the future. However my best advice for bio is to just keep going forward and learn that content inside and out.
Good luck for your exams!

YussifK

• Trendsetter
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2019, 07:45:43 pm »
+1
Hey thanks for reading! At the moment I am not up to giving tips at the moment as I am really struggling with bio exams at this time, so I don't feel confident to give others tips right now. If I do well, I may give some in the future. However my best advice for bio is to just keep going forward and learn that content inside and out.
Good luck for your exams!

Im really confused what you mean know the content inside out.... please elaborate... cause I have no common sense ughhhhh....
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2019, 08:09:23 pm »
+3
Im really confused what you mean know the content inside out.... please elaborate... cause I have no common sense ughhhhh....

Well in order to do well, you need to know everything well about the content. You need to know the details, how it relates to other things previously learn't, you need to be able to explain it, describe it and compare it but also apply that knowledge.

For instance, lets look at protein synthesis(gene expression)
Instead of just knowing the basics of transcription and translation, you should know the names of the coding strands, be able to know what a degenerate triplet code is, compare it to similar processes such as PCR(polymerase chain reaction), explain the process... etc. Be able to apply it to a question that isn't directly related to it, for instance: mutations in nucleotides and how the can frame shift the coding sequence.

It is all about knowing your content and how to use it. Hope this helps. :)

YussifK

• Trendsetter
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2019, 08:24:06 pm »
+1
Well in order to do well, you need to know everything well about the content. You need to know the details, how it relates to other things previously learn't, you need to be able to explain it, describe it and compare it but also apply that knowledge.

For instance, lets look at protein synthesis(gene expression)
Instead of just knowing the basics of transcription and translation, you should know the names of the coding strands, be able to know what a degenerate triplet code is, compare it to similar processes such as PCR(polymerase chain reaction), explain the process... etc. Be able to apply it to a question that isn't directly related to it, for instance: mutations in nucleotides and how the can frame shift the coding sequence.

It is all about knowing your content and how to use it. Hope this helps. :)

Would atar notes topic help with this or knowin all of the study design
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2019, 10:42:31 am »
+1

I can't believe the school holidays are over! I didn't get anywhere near as much study done as I wanted, and I am now suffering the stress of not doing enough exam prep. I have done some topic tests, and got through all the multiple choice question on the 2018 bio exam and then completely stuffed up the short answered questions....... Getting that 45 seems like just a dream at the moment, but I just have to work harder to get there.

This has made me doubt myself so much and made me stop doing practice exams. I know that more practice the better, but this really put a dent in my spirt, but I really need to get back on the banwagon to exam prep. I am hoping to do 1 exam a day, or at least one part to try do something. I just can't believe were the time has gone. I am also really scared of having a fatigue episode on the day, were I am just so tired that nothing computes.....

Biology
Pretty much just studying for exams at the moment. I do have my last SAC this week (yay), and also need to start studying that as well!

English
I hate this subject so much at the moment. I can't find any motivation for to write any more essays, read or just do anything. I am getting constantly frustrated with my writing and what we have to write. There is a final SAC in 2 weeks time, and a practice exam this week, which I am putting off for as long as possible....

Chemistry
So guess who stayed up to finish their scientific poster, me... It honestly wasn't that much to do, and I managed to write the whole thing within 2.5 hours after getting the results. The experiment that I did went just so horribly wrong, and my entire discussion part was just me explain all the errors and solutions that could have made it better. I am not enjoying unit 2 of chemistry, it has to be one of the most boring things I have done in a while. Just the sheer amount on water...... I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! The good thing is is that I only have 1 week to go, and them it is done for the year!!!!!!!

Food Studies
So this is the last SAC for the year, and I am currently 2/3 through it. I have done all the write up and all I need to do is cook the dish, which is just a buddha bowl since it meets all the constraints and considerations. There is an exam in two weeks, but I am going to try do it this week to get it out of the way for my other studies. And as the same with chem, I will be done for the year.

Methods
I only have myself to blame for how behind I am in methods, 13 weeks. I just kept putting it up and it has pilled on. I have to balance my other subjects, bio exam prep, and cramming an entire semester of methods in 4 weeks.... yay me. It is a reduced work load which is good.

I do apoligise that this is so negative. I am very stressed an frustrated as my health plus all the things I need to do are staggering. Everyone studies at the own pace but I can't even manage a normal work load. I am "home schooled", yet I can only work for 3-4 hours a day, with massive naps in between that last for 4-6 hours. Trying to do some much work when I just can't find the time is so frustrating! So, I do apologise, but that is what this journal is for, to tell how my VCE journey is going, this is just a down moment  in the ups and downs of life. Good luck studying everyone!

Hey Geoo!
Don't beat youself up about only being able to work for 3 - 4 hours a day, make sure you rest and look after youself. Good luck with your study, you got this!
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

chopsticks

• Trendsetter
  • 昔は今の鏡
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2019, 08:14:03 pm »
+1

Biology

English

Chemistry

Food Studies

Methods

Awe, I get how you feel to be overwhelmed by the workload for so many subjects. I'm also doing Methods 1/2 and all I've got to say is don't worry! It's not as hard to catch up on as it may seem. Most of it is just briefly looking through chapters - maybe a summary notes would help like ATAR Notes' 3/4 (I use 3/4 instead of 1/2 books for Methods because it really is the same content) - and spending a bit of time applying them

Chemistry sounds awful!!! Good luck, like you said it's one week to go and you will definitely get through it!
2020: Mathematical Methods | History: Revolutions
2021: Specialist Mathematics | Literature | English | Chemistry | Japanese SL
吉兆!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:12 am »
+3
Would atar notes topic help with this or knowin all of the study design
They probably would, but they would come to late and I think focusing on the VCAA exams is the best thing at the moment due to time contraints.
Awe, I get how you feel to be overwhelmed by the workload for so many subjects. I'm also doing Methods 1/2 and all I've got to say is don't worry! It's not as hard to catch up on as it may seem. Most of it is just briefly looking through chapters - maybe a summary notes would help like ATAR Notes' 3/4 (I use 3/4 instead of 1/2 books for Methods because it really is the same content) - and spending a bit of time applying them

Chemistry sounds awful!!! Good luck, like you said it's one week to go and you will definitely get through it!
Thanks for the support, it really helps in times of stress. Thats a bit of a relief, I am a bit scared that it will still take a while as I haven't learnt the content before, but hopefully I can push through! And thank you for the advice, i'll definitely go check out the notes! It's interesting that I have fallen behind this much, since I have loved maths in the past, but with a new format of learning it online, it has really thrown me for a loop and made me lose my passion for it.
Hey Geoo!
Don't beat yourself up about only being able to work for 3 - 4 hours a day, make sure you rest and look after youself. Good luck with your study, you got this!
Awe thank you, I will try and look after myself. I am pacing more as I have found a better routine so I have gotten the chance to resting a bit more. Thanks for the wishes!
 :D