Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:18:32 am

Author Topic: Pre-Selective School Exam Advice  (Read 4752 times)  Share 

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
  • Respect: 0
Re: Pre-Selective School Exam Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 05:08:12 pm »
Do you remember any other words from verbal.
And what was the phrases and the quote for creative

For the year 10 entrance, it was  a picture of the inside of a building that looked quite old and fancy. The phrase was something along the lines of some figures dressed in olden day clothing and moving around the building. Also about some science equipment been scattered across the room? There was also this other quote , it was like
"Welcome to the hall!" boomed a voice out of nowhere. " I'm glad you have finally come home"

---- I'm really sorry guys, It was quite a confusing prompt.There was alot of prompts and quotes thrown at us.  I can't remember that well even though i did it yesterday aha. sorryyy.

For the year 9 entrance last year we got a picture of a train station and we got a phrase which i forgot. soz.
The persuasive piece was "Should we use electrical cars?" ---- something along those lines, aha my bad, i can't remember that well.

Umm for verbal reasoning, there was alot of syllogisms, logic questions and we also got some of those questions where you had to say who came first or who came second.
 For example:
In last years Brown-bird cookies selling contest in my class, I sold more cookies than Ross. Cathy sold more than Ross and me, but did not sell as much as Niles. Who among us, sold the least number of cookies?
A. Myself
B. Ross
C. Cathy
D. None
Answer - B
Obviously it might not be that easy but those are some types of questions you'll get. You might also get those foreign language questions and synonym questions like shown below:

urdonungoo means dramatic film
naranbaton means fiction book
urdonwalla means dramatic story
Which word could mean  'story book'?
A. batonwalla
B. naranurdon
C. Ungoowalla
D. wallabaton
E. none of these
Answer - D

You might also get questions like these:
Criminal is to illicit as:
A. Delinquent is to outrageous
B. Prisoner is to convict
C. Scandalous is to disgraceful
D. Felony is to crime
E. None of these
Answer - C

or even questions like these:
A synonym for LACKLUSTRE is:
A) Glowing
B) Uninspired
C) Unimportant
D) Bright
E) None of these
Answer - B

Lily and tom have three children -- Alex, Bert and Coraline. Bert is married to Florence but has no children. Coraline and Alex are married to Liam and Tina respectively. The latter pair have two children - Tyler and Yasmin. The former pair are parents to Harry. What is Yasmin's relationship to Florence?
A) Aunt
B) Mother
C) Cousin
D) Niece
E) None of these

Idk guys, there's not much I can tell yous cuz the style of questions in the exam can vary. Those are the most common types of questions to be present in the exam but for you guys it might be completely different. Logic and vocabulary is probably the most important for these type of questions. Since yall only have two days left, just relax. The more relaxed you are, the easier it will be.

MY BIGGEST TIP FOR YOU RIGHT NOW is to think only about passing. Don't think about anything else. seriously, cuz since you only have two more days left, stay as positive and calm as you can possibly be. AND YOU ARE NOT TO GIVE UP AT ANY MOMENT DURING THE EXAM. IF YOU THINK YOU DID BAD ON ONE TEST,  FORGET IT AND TRY HARDER FOR THE NEXT TEST. (as cringey as it sounds, you seriously need to be positive at all times) All the best and I really hope all of yous will get in!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:42:32 pm by I don\'t know »

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 05:18:04 pm »
For numerical are their questions like 2 cars are going which time would they meet at the same place like speed Ditance time questions

Yes, most likely there will be speed, distance and time questions. I don't exactly remember getting those car questions but I did do a lot of them during practice exams so I think it will be good to know those. Also know how to work with RATIOS AND PROBABILITY.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:34:18 pm by I don\'t know »

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 05:38:55 pm »
May you please send a probability and ratio question please.

Thank you so much sorry for bothering you.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 05:49:22 pm »
Given that we have less than 3 days before we sit the test, is there any valuable advice in terms of study, relaxation or general tips that any past test sitters can give for us?

Personally I've been relaxing pretty much for this whole 'pre-exam' period. I don't think cramming and studying hard will serve much use this late in the game.
Hello!
So, going way back to when I sat the exam, I remember being in a meditative mindset where I wasn't too stressed or too excited. I just felt emotionless. If you are able to get into this mindset, I suggest you do so because it is crucial that you are not stressing out or are feeling so many emotions at once as that can really throw you off when you start the exam. A clear mind is good because you can really focus and concentrate.
Also, do NOT have a negative attitude on the day. This can alter your exam performance. Stay focused on the task at hand and be mindful. Have a positive attitude but not an overly confident one.

It would also be wise to redo any questions you got wrong or you struggled with. These may be from the practice tests or trial exams you have done. This will help ensure that you have understood why you made that mistake so that you don't make the same mistake again. Keep redoing questions again and again until you get them correct.
Also, I suggest thoroughly revising all the questions that you have been exposed to.

For the writing, use your planning time wisely as this is where all your ideas are generated and where brainstorming takes place. Make a well-thought out plan so that you do not waste any time during writing time and you are able to quickly write the actual essay.

Also, it would be good to make sure you know all the general math formulas in case a question comes up.

I wish you the best for the exam! I know you will smash it!
 :)

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 06:08:04 pm »
+1
May you please send a probability and ratio question please.

Thank you so much sorry for bothering you.

No It's absolutely fine,, i'm more than happy to help.  :)

Two coins are tossed, find the probability that two heads are obtained.
Answer - 1/4

Paul flips two coins and then rolls a dice with six sides. What is the probability that he gets two heads and a 5 or a 3?
Answer - 1/12

Ratio questions:
A fruit drink called Fruto is sold in cartons. Fruto is made from orange and mango juice. The ratio of orange juice to mango juice is 3:2. If a carton of Fruto contains a volume of 250 cm3 , find the volume of orange juice in a carton of Fruto:
Answer - 150 cm3

Tropica is a another fruit juice made from lemon, lime and grape fruit juice. The ratio of lemon juice to lime juice to grapefruit juice is 1: 2: 5. The volume of grapefruit in the fruit juice is 200 cm3. Find the volume of Tropica in a carton:
Answer - 320 cm3

Chandied

• Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 11:03:41 pm »
+1
In either creative and persuasive essays what are simple, but normally made mistakes?
This may seem like an easy question to answer myself but I suck horribly at essay stuff.  :-[

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 07:39:11 am »
Can you please send me some maths questions that were on the test. Like from most of the topics. Maybe send the hard ones you found in last years test

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 05:52:55 pm »
In either creative and persuasive essays what are simple, but normally made mistakes?
This may seem like an easy question to answer myself but I suck horribly at essay stuff.  :-[
Hi!
For both writings, you need to effectively use your planning time well so you know exactly what you're going to write about.
For creative, I guess you need to make sure you are SHOWING instead of TELLING. This means describing the thing instead of just explicitly saying it. You can do this using metaphors, similes and imagery.
Another thing is that your creative should have a general plot so that it has a structure that flows really well.You don't want to be rambling and talking nonsense for the whole time. There has to be plot development. Make sure that you have some sort of structure to your writing. This includes orientation, complication and resolution. This just makes sure that the story flows and is not disjointed.
Also, try to use other words other than 'said'. Use muttered, replied, questioned, mumbled.

For analytical, make sure you know what you are going to write in each of your paragraphs in planning time.
Also, make sure you use evidence well and you integrate it well. You need to explain your evidence and connect it to the topic so that the examiner knows exactly what you're talking about in relation to the topic. Linking is crucial.

Those are the general tips I can think of.
I will update if I have any more suggestions.
I hope this helped!
 ;D

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 06:05:41 pm »
+1
Hi!
For both writings, you need to effectively use your planning time well so you know exactly what you're going to write about.
For creative, I guess you need to make sure you are SHOWING instead of TELLING. This means describing the thing instead of just explicitly saying it. You can do this using metaphors, similes and imagery.
Another thing is that your creative should have a general plot so that it has a structure that flows really well.You don't want to be rambling and talking nonsense for the whole time. There has to be plot development. Make sure that you have some sort of structure to your writing. This includes orientation, complication and resolution. This just makes sure that the story flows and is not disjointed.
Also, try to use other words other than 'said'. Use muttered, replied, questioned, mumbled.

For analytical, make sure you know what you are going to write in each of your paragraphs in planning time.
Also, make sure you use evidence well and you integrate it well. You need to explain your evidence and connect it to the topic so that the examiner knows exactly what you're talking about in relation to the topic. Linking is crucial.

Those are the general tips I can think of.
I will update if I have any more suggestions.
I hope this helped!
 ;D

thanks

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 06:51:02 pm »

thanks
All good.

Hi everyone!
Best of luck for the selective exam tomorrow!
Just keep calm and do your best. That's all you can really do!
 :)

ngupta

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 05:23:53 pm »
Hi, I just wanted to know what is the format of the boxhill high school seal exam and what are the best coachings and where can I get past papers from?