Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:32:53 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1232042 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4440 on: July 23, 2019, 09:55:56 pm »
+3
Hi there!

I'm studying T.S. Eliot and I was wondering, what are the chances of HSC testing us on three poems? Usually, from the old syllabus, it was either two poems, or a prescribed poem and another of choice. But because it is a new syllabus, I was wondering if that "two poem" pattern could possibly change?

Thank you!

Hey, therese07!

I highly doubt that'll ask for three poems because the questions have previously been worded as either "at least two poems" or specifically "two poems." However, I would recommend preparing a third equally in depth. This can prepare for you for that possibility of three poems being required. It could also be a smart move should you find a different pairing might be more suitable for the given question than the two main poems you have in mind. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:57:57 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

nishta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4441 on: July 26, 2019, 11:10:05 am »
Hey guys,

I'm doing T.S. Eliot for Module B, and was wondering if we need to reference critics or scholars?

If so, are there any sources or links to useful criticisms you could provide me?

HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4442 on: July 26, 2019, 12:14:34 pm »
+8
Hey guys,

I'm doing T.S. Eliot for Module B, and was wondering if we need to reference critics or scholars?

If so, are there any sources or links to useful criticisms you could provide me?

Hey, nishta!

Referencing scholars and critics in Module B isn't a requirement but it may enable you to elevate your response. This is because it shows you have done further reading and engaging more critically with the text as a result. I have a sample paragraph below showing you how you could integrate the quotes in  using An Artist of the Floating World.

Spoiler
Simply acknowledging the irreversibility of tragedy would limit a text’s academic longevity; literature ultimately invites us to examine the enduring quality of hope in response to these uncomfortable truths. Though the text explores human flaws and misguidances to a moderate extent, An Artist of the Floating World delivers more positive implications by repositioning its reflective discourse to the present. The conclusion of the novel effectively depicts a promising recovery from the impact of war and economic prosperity ahead. The motif of light characteristic of the pleasure district, a significant setting constructed as representative of the past, manifests in visual imagery of “brightly-lit bars...beneath those lamps”, coloured with a reminiscent tone. However, this symbolism skilfully transforms into one of hope with how the metonymy of “bright whiteless shirtsleeves emerging”, signifying “groups of employees”, replaces the former illusion of decadence with the reformation of Japan. The inclusive language created with the plural pronoun “Our nation” and the indefinite pronoun in “One can only wish these young people well” enables the author to finally renounce Ono from his narrator role, extending the aspirations of a flourishing society to the contemporary context. While the novel is indeed a “sensitive examination of the turmoil in postwar Japan, a time when certainties were overturned” (Iain Maloney, 2015), Ishiguro deliberately illuminates glimpses of success amid the stasis and despair to encourage readers to empathise and speculate with optimism on the future. Thus, the text seeks to not only acknowledge uncomfortable truths for empathy, but can be appreciated from its resonance with our continual ambitions, striving for the betterment of humanity today.

I also compiled a tonne of critic quotes and miscellaneous resources for the individual poems which you may have a look at here! Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4443 on: July 26, 2019, 08:57:39 pm »
Hi Guys!!

My english trial is in two weeks and I was looking for tips to learn/memorise quotes, and for a lot of texts.
I know I have left this a bit late but I have just finished some other trials and exams  :o

I have finished my notes and have all my texts arranged into quote-technique-anaylsis tables.

Does anyone have tips on memorising quotes, or is my best bet to do lots of practice essays and try to incorporate them (the quotes) to learn them??

Thanks!!  :D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4444 on: July 26, 2019, 09:24:28 pm »
+3
Hi Guys!!

My english trial is in two weeks and I was looking for tips to learn/memorise quotes, and for a lot of texts.
I know I have left this a bit late but I have just finished some other trials and exams  :o

I have finished my notes and have all my texts arranged into quote-technique-anaylsis tables.

Does anyone have tips on memorising quotes, or is my best bet to do lots of practice essays and try to incorporate them (the quotes) to learn them??

Thanks!!  :D
Hey there,

I memorised my quotes by writing a lot of practice essays because I can also remember where in the essay the quote fits in. When it came to quotes from texts that aren't prose (say, poetry), I would still use them in a bunch of practice essays but I'd also bring those quotes everywhere. So when I did Yeats and had to know a handful of quotes from 7 different poems, I printed out the quotes I used a lot and read them everywhere, like when I was brushing my teeth, in the bathroom- I even made a playlist of people reading out the poems and played it on loop.

When it came to the few hours before my exam, I would use that time to write all my quotes over and over again just to do some last minute cramming.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

THSCStudyOnly

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4445 on: July 26, 2019, 10:35:04 pm »
What is the Module C part of Paper 2? We have a short story and a poem but what is it we have to know about for these texts? Do we have to somehow integrate those texts into the creative and reflective piece we write? If so how? Thanks!

jelena_nina2001

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4446 on: July 27, 2019, 08:50:29 am »
Hey guys,

does anyone have any quote/technique/effect table or document for the Tempest and Hag Seed (mod A)? trials are in a week and i haven't got any!

please help

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4447 on: July 27, 2019, 01:37:25 pm »
+5
What is the Module C part of Paper 2? We have a short story and a poem but what is it we have to know about for these texts? Do we have to somehow integrate those texts into the creative and reflective piece we write? If so how? Thanks!

Hey!

The module C part of paper 2 will be 20 marks, which can be either you writing a text worth 20 marks, or split into a text and a reflection (eg. 12 and 8 marks, or 10 and 10 marks etc.).

From what we have been told, you should know specific textual features of each of the texts, and be able to write about these, or incorporate something similar into your writing.

For example, if your short story includes a lot of visual imagery and you are asked to write an imaginative text drawing inspiration from your module C text, then you could write a short story about a similar theme to that of your short story, and incorporate lots of visual imagery.

You won't be asked to analyse your mod C texts, however you could be asked to justify your creative choices in your writing. Due to this, it would be important for you to know what your text is about, and textual features it incorporates.
That way if you got asked to include a reflection, you could say something like, "I decided to write about the topic of war and includes lots of visual imagery because in this text the author focuses on the subject of the impact of war and uses visual imagery to explain the author's specific perspective.

By being able to justify your creative choices, it demonstrates your knowledge of your mod C texts.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck!!
 ;D

classof2019

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4448 on: July 28, 2019, 04:44:38 pm »
Hi, just a question for Module C - if we are specifically asked to write an opening or an ending of a piece, how do we go about writing it such that it explicitly sounds like an opening or ending instead of a full imaginative/ persuasive/ discursive?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:43:37 pm by classof2019 »

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4449 on: July 28, 2019, 06:50:42 pm »
I NEED HELP URGENTLY.
My English trials are coming up next week. How should I prepare adequately? Should I just memorise 3 themes and how many quotes should I memorise for each text?

Thanks

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4450 on: July 28, 2019, 08:13:14 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

does anyone have any quote/technique/effect table or document for the Tempest and Hag Seed (mod A)? trials are in a week and i haven't got any!

please help
Hey there,

The Notes section has a bunch of notes on The Tempest- not for Hagseed unfortunately because it's a new text.

Hope this helps!

I NEED HELP URGENTLY.
My English trials are coming up next week. How should I prepare adequately? Should I just memorise 3 themes and how many quotes should I memorise for each text?

Thanks
Hey there,

3 themes should be fine for the Trials, but it would be good to have 1 or 2 up your sleeve just in case it doesn't fit with the question. As for the number of quotes, there isn't a specific amount you need but I usually have 3 quotes per text in one paragraph- so if I were to do a comparative essay, that's 9 quotes, but this number is a bit flexible.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:16:08 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4451 on: July 28, 2019, 11:19:04 pm »
+1
Hi, just a question for Module C - if we are specifically asked to write an opening or an ending of a piece, how do we go about writing it such that it explicitly sounds like an opening or ending instead of a full imaginative/ persuasive/ discursive?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Hey, classof2019!

I would ensure that you place the central conflict or turning point of your piece specifically at the end (for an opening) or at the beginning (for an ending) to establish a shift in narrative, perspective and/or style. This way, you can either create a build up to the height of tension in your piece or resolve it accordingly. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4452 on: July 28, 2019, 11:30:53 pm »
For Mod A, I am doing Looking for Richard and King Richard iii.
There are different types of context that relate to one theme. If I discuss all the context for theme 1, then I'll have no different context for theme 2.
The should I stick to one context per theme?

Tierney_P

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4453 on: July 29, 2019, 09:22:20 am »
Hello!
Quick question...I'm also doing King Richard III and Looking for Richard for Mod A- and I'm having trouble distinguishing between values and themes. Can anyone help me please?
bring on 2nd november 🤩

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4454 on: July 29, 2019, 11:18:02 am »
+3
For Mod A, I am doing Looking for Richard and King Richard iii.
There are different types of context that relate to one theme. If I discuss all the context for theme 1, then I'll have no different context for theme 2.
The should I stick to one context per theme?

Hey, violet123!

Contextual references should be integrated throughout the response, as opposed to discussed and mentioned all in one go. Consider context across the different branches (personal, social, political, cultural) and aim to distribute them over the two themes as you justify your analysis. This way, you're providing a judgement on how the context influences the representation of those particular ideas in a cohesive manner. This sample Band 6 essay can show you how it's done  :D

Hello!
Quick question...I'm also doing King Richard III and Looking for Richard for Mod A- and I'm having trouble distinguishing between values and themes. Can anyone help me please?

Hey, Tierney_P!

Themes and values are actually used synonymously in the syllabus but what differentiates them is their connotation and what they mean for your analysis. While themes suggest concepts/ideas that are represented in a text, values elevates your thinking in terms of how those concepts reflect the attitudes, beliefs and perspectives of the context as well. Hence, we can think of say loyalty as a theme because it is explored in both those texts, but in Advanced, considering how contextual circumstances and views can deem loyalty as a value. In short, themes and values are essentially the same (loyalty, justice, power) but framing your response around the mindset of them being values is more effective for Advanced-style analysis. Hope that makes sense!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-