Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:13 pm

Author Topic: journey to self discovery  (Read 23525 times)

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
Re: journey to self discovery
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2021, 09:06:06 pm »
+12
January 16th 2021
I’ll end this journal with a banger of a story.

So I didn’t get an interview. It’s one thing to miss out on medicine, it’s something else to miss out on it due to a 2 hour aptitude test than undermined every shred of my abilities. I’ve decided on radiography, and that should I decide I was capable, I’ll study medicine down the track, whether straight out of my degree or when I’m 30.

A friend of mine asked me if I received an invite for the interview. No I did not, I said, my UCAT is too low.

“What’s your UCAT?” they asked. 85, I said. I had nothing to hide really. He was dumbfounded because his friend got an invite with a lower ATAR and UCAT combination. No SEAS or other considerations too. It was my turn to be dumbfounded. Mate, are you sure? I asked, in disbelief.

Now at that point I thought, damn this is unfair. How could this be the case? Then he said the magic word, “Unlucky.” I refuse to be unlucky. What’s this got to do with luck?

Determined, I went to Monash campus, hoping to speak to someone about admissions. Just my luck, this was the period where probably the entire university were in holidays. Great, just great. I managed to talk to someone on the phone, though they were not directly involved but told me to email some address.

What have I got to lose? I told myself, and emailed furiously and swiftly. No words came for two days and I was certain this was the end of it. Ah, well.

My phone rang some late afternoon. “Hello angrybiscuit, we would like to invite you to an interview.”

I faltered, this was the moment I’ve been waiting for. “Tomorrow morning, at 9.” They said.

First round interview people had two weeks to prepare for their interviews. Second round interview people had about a week. I had less than 20 hours and counting. No apologies, no explanations, nothing of that sort. But still this was better than no interview at all.

Like a person with a thesis due the next day worth 30% of their grade I tried to prepare for an interview that was supposed to save my UCAT score and worth as much as my ATAR. I could not believe that with these things on the line I was not more nervous. Probably because I had less than a day between invite and actual interview that I did not even have the time to feel nervous.

On the actual day, I was pretty relaxed, I had nothing to lose. I’ve already accepted my fate with radiography. In fact, I made a game out of it. How fun is this? Meeting 6 strangers and giving them my opinions. Hilarious.

The interview was uneventful. It wasn’t “it made Obama president great” but it wasn’t a disaster either. Either way it was mediocre in my eyes, not enough to offset the UCAT.

Jan 14 crept by and I have accepted my fate. After all, I’ve already accepted the prospect of doing Radiography so come what may, I will be satisfied.

Jan 14 and I had the morning shift so it was only until 1pm that I checked my emails. I thought offers wouldn’t come until 2pm that day haha. Imagine my surprise to see my offer.

Spoiler
Medicine - School Leaver Entry

Unbonded. My interview did it. IT FREAKING DID IT. IT DID THE IMPOSSIBLE. Looking at those with offers I probably had the lowest UCAT of the metropolitan kids, un-freaking-believable. I will no longer be defined by my UCAT failure yipeee

This is just the beginning of a long, difficult road. I’ll have to learn to be a little fish among a pond of big fish, to be amongst intimidating great minds. I’ll have to learn to struggle to gain wisdom. I’ll have to learn to pick myself up after struggle, not rely on others to.  But I will embrace every moment and remember that in the end, the destination is not what matters but the journey.

I truly love to learn and I don’t think I will ever quench my thirst for knowledge. It excites me that this is a step towards a life long journey of learning.

This ends this VCE journal. While the title suggests that I am supposed to have achieved something or gone somewhere, really it was all about a journey and not the end. A documentation of my self doubts, triumphs and tribulations. The hardships that have hardened me but also given me wisdom. A realisation of my short comings but also my abilities.

So while this might be an end, really this is just the beginning. The beginning of a life-long journey of learning, a journey of self discovery.
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2021, 09:27:06 pm »
+6
Brilliant!!!!!
*Clapping*
What a crazy story, but it will be a fantastic one to tell! Congratulations i'm so happy for you!!! I'd be so nervous to do that interview with only short notice, so good on you for having the courage to do your best given the crazy circumstances. You did it, you made it, that's awesome, and good on you for going that extra mile and contacting them, that takes confidence and perseverance and was a bit of a gamble the payed off in the end.

I've thoroughly enjoyed your updates throughout the year, of all your triumphs, thoughts, and moments. It's sad the journal has to come to an end, but as you said, it's not the end of a journey. Good luck for med school, I'm sure you'll be an amazing doctor!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2021, 09:29:25 pm »
+5
Hey angrybiscuit,

Super proud of your achievements, truly an inspiration! Another worked example that determination is a predictor of success!  8)
All the best for med, keen to hear your experiences this year. Good luck future Dr. ! ;)

And PS: You narrate with an imbued fervour!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:34:17 pm by SmartWorker »
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2021, 09:30:41 pm »
+6
Great story!! Great job!! :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2021, 10:22:36 pm »
+6
So happy to hear, angrybiscuit. You deserve it, and I can’t wait to meet you and the rest of the cohort!! It’s crazy that the med admissions team made a mistake hahah, you’d think they’d be more organised and mistakes like this wouldn’t happen. Good on you for enquiring further.  CONGRATULATIONS and all the best for the future!!!

P.S. not a low UCAT at all - 85th is in the top 15% which is an amazing score when you think about it!!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2021, 10:55:55 pm »
+5
Amazing story- congratulations my hearts melt for such an amazing achievement!

Wish you all the best for your future studies, there's alot coming for you it's gonna be exciting.

-T&S
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2021, 11:12:00 am »
+3
Such an inspiring story! Congratulations angrybiscuit! I'm so happy and proud for you that you reached out to the admissions team, it's something that most people wouldn't have the balls to do so I'm SUPER proud of you :D
All the best! You're gonna smash med <3
Are you planning to have a med journey journal?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2021, 07:05:22 pm »
+5
Geoo
Brilliant!!!!!
*Clapping*
What a crazy story, but it will be a fantastic one to tell! Congratulations i'm so happy for you!!! I'd be so nervous to do that interview with only short notice, so good on you for having the courage to do your best given the crazy circumstances. You did it, you made it, that's awesome, and good on you for going that extra mile and contacting them, that takes confidence and perseverance and was a bit of a gamble the payed off in the end.

I've thoroughly enjoyed your updates throughout the year, of all your triumphs, thoughts, and moments. It's sad the journal has to come to an end, but as you said, it's not the end of a journey. Good luck for med school, I'm sure you'll be an amazing doctor!
AWW thanks Geoo <3

So honoured that you've read my journal to the end. Likewise, it's been such a pleasure being by your side and reading through your journey. All the best and keep in touch :)
SmartWorker
Hey angrybiscuit,

Super proud of your achievements, truly an inspiration! Another worked example that determination is a predictor of success!  8)
All the best for med, keen to hear your experiences this year. Good luck future Dr. ! ;)

And PS: You narrate with an imbued fervour!
Thanks for dropping by SmartWorker and for your words!

Glad to hear that my writing style is up to your standards ;D
The Cat in the Hat
Great story!! Great job!! :)
Thanks! All the best for this year with nursing and all <3
whys
So happy to hear, angrybiscuit. You deserve it, and I can’t wait to meet you and the rest of the cohort!! It’s crazy that the med admissions team made a mistake hahah, you’d think they’d be more organised and mistakes like this wouldn’t happen. Good on you for enquiring further.  CONGRATULATIONS and all the best for the future!!!

P.S. not a low UCAT at all - 85th is in the top 15% which is an amazing score when you think about it!!
Thank you whys! I can hardly believe it and likewise, I can't wait to meet you!

Right?? Super weird. Imagine if I didn't enquire any further...

HAHA if you put it that way it does seem like a good score. Just wasn't 'competitive' in my eyes.
tiredandstressed
Amazing story- congratulations my hearts melt for such an amazing achievement!

Wish you all the best for your future studies, there's alot coming for you it's gonna be exciting.

-T&S
Hey TS!
Thanks for your words <3 All the best to you as well for this year and beyond!
homeworkisapotato
Such an inspiring story! Congratulations angrybiscuit! I'm so happy and proud for you that you reached out to the admissions team, it's something that most people wouldn't have the balls to do so I'm SUPER proud of you :D
All the best! You're gonna smash med <3
Are you planning to have a med journey journal?
Thanks potato! Such a pleasure having you around this past year and I'm going to miss it so much!

We'll see HAHA I'm very adamant on keeping my part-time job but it might not work out well with med :-X Please do keep in touch and all the best for year 12 <3

<3
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan