Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:52:38 am

Author Topic: The Gap Year Diary ☆  (Read 879 times)

liladh

• Adventurer
  • ☆☆☆☆☆
  • Respect: +12
The Gap Year Diary ☆
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:26:34 pm »
+12
Hey all :D,

I'm taking a gap year!! And while I'm really excited for the year ahead, I must admit that I've already felt a bit... bored. I have been working, seeing friends (but they have jobs too so not as much as I hoped :( ), going out, reading, watching netflix (binging YOU and this addictive yet totally trashy reality TV show called Below Deck), but I feel as if I'm lacking something. I still feel in motion, and need something else to pour some energy into.

It's not all lazing around - The Plan
I'm planning on a solid few months of travel later this year (living my ancient history loving dream and going to Europe!!) with my closest friend. Unfortunately, travel requires money and money = work!! I have a job but haven't been getting as many shifts as I'd like, so I'm thinking of looking for another job or starting to do some tutoring. I am hoping to get a working visa/patriality stamp and working and living in the UK at the end of this year as well, so if anyone has any tips I would be so thankful!!

I want to travel to:
-Italy (especially Rome and Pompeii)
-Greece (especially Crete)
-Spain
-the Netherlands
-Germany
-Croatia
-France

In 2020, I will be studying Arts/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholar) at Sydney Uni.

Why a gap year? 
Even though I'm so keen for uni (anyone else heading to Sydney Uni??), I feel that I need this year. I feel as though I would be limiting myself if I decided to go to uni this year, as although cliche, I don't think I really know who I am, and need more life experience before I head off to uni. That's not to say that everyone should take a gap year, I just think that this is personally what will work best for me!! Sometimes I do wonder what it would be like going straight to uni though, good luck to everyone starting in Feb!! 

My Goals
-Travel
-Meet new people and make new friends
-Grow as a person
-Gain independence and confidence
-Continue learning Japanese

What I've been up to
I've recently been doing a lot of reading so I have some book reccommendations for you all! A fantastic book I just finished reading is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, it completely drew me in and I couldn't put it down! Even if you have no interest in Japanese culture or history, this book is amazing! It is a fictional account of the life and experiences of a geisha working in Kyoto pre-WW2.

Another great read (my favourite book of all time) is Just Kids by Patti Smith. This is a memoir detailing her life and relationship with artist Robert Mapplethorpe and it is SO. GOOD.

I'll try and update regularly, (and thanks Mada438 for the inspo!)

love you all <3

HSC 2018: English Advanced ✼ Ancient History (5th in the state) ✼ History Extension ✼ Society and Culture ✼ Visual Arts ✼ Japanese Continuers

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: The Gap Year Diary ☆
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 06:54:53 am »
+4
As someone who didn't take a gap year I'm excited to have a glimpse into what that can be like :)

Best of luck for your journey this year & I how that you find what you're looking for (plus more)!