Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:28 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231613 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4395 on: May 28, 2019, 11:44:11 am »
+2
Hey!

This is quite a vague question (and probably has been answered somewhere else before), but I was wondering if someone would be able to explain how the advanced english trials work?
Will the exams be on all of the units, and evenly weighted between the units/texts we have studied?

Also, if all the texts are included, does anyone have tips for memorising quotes/techniques (to use in any extended responses etc.) ??

Thanks!!
  :)
Hey there,

The English Advanced Trials will be structured the same way as your HSC exams, hence the name 'trials'- it's so you get used to how the HSC works. The only difference is that some schools sit different Trials papers. For example, most Catholic schools use the CSSA Trial Papers (they're notorious for being a lot harder than the actual HSC exam). Other schools might use the Independent Trial paper or write their own Trial paper. So you'll sit for 2 papers and will be assessed all the modules. Another thing I'll add is that teachers are encouraged to mark generously for Trials because you're not given a lot of time to prepare for Trials and all your exams are crammed into two weeks, unlike the HSC.

When it comes to memorising quotes and techniques, I make a quotes sheet for all my modules and organise them either by themes or paragraphs. For example, for Area of Study the essay questions are a lot more predictable so I always organised and grouped them by paragraphs. For Mod A and B, because it's difficult to predict the question and are often very thematic, I organised them by themes. When it came to quotes from novels, I always used the same quotes for my practice essays (with 2 or 3 new quotes up my sleeve just in case). Because of this, it became muscle memory whenever I wrote them. When it came to poems, it took me a lot longer to memorise but I would narrow down to 2-3 quotes per theme. I actually forgot most of my quotes for poems in Trials but again, my essay was marked generously so my mark wasn't too bad. As for creative, I memorised the main points of my creative and any section that was extremely important to the plot I tried to memorise most of it. I guess my point is that it takes a lot of practice essays for you to be able to memorise quotes and techniques.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4396 on: May 28, 2019, 12:32:08 pm »
Hope this helps!

Thanks so much this is super helpful!!!

violet123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4397 on: May 28, 2019, 09:56:17 pm »
Hellooo
Can someone help me identify the technique on this quote from The Crucible
Danforth said "An ocean of tears of not melt the resolute of statues"

Any help will be much appreciated

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #4398 on: May 29, 2019, 12:22:42 pm »
Hey everyone!

I have to do this practice question for T.S Eliot's 'Rhapsody on a Windy Night':

ELIOT'S POETRY HAS BEEN DESCRIBED AS A 'DISTURBING PORTRAIT OF UNCERTAINTY AMIDST THE TURMOIL OF MODERN LIFE'. 

TO WHAT EXTENT DOES THIS PERSPECTIVE ALIGN WITH YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF 'RHAPSODY ON A WINTER'S NIGHT'?

Does anyone have a clue on how to answer this because I've got no bloody idea hahah.

Cheers  :)

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #4399 on: May 30, 2019, 09:01:10 am »
+1
Hey everyone!

I have to do this practice question for T.S Eliot's 'Rhapsody on a Windy Night':

ELIOT'S POETRY HAS BEEN DESCRIBED AS A 'DISTURBING PORTRAIT OF UNCERTAINTY AMIDST THE TURMOIL OF MODERN LIFE'.

TO WHAT EXTENT DOES THIS PERSPECTIVE ALIGN WITH YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF 'RHAPSODY ON A WINTER'S NIGHT'?

Does anyone have a clue on how to answer this because I've got no bloody idea hahah.

Cheers  :)

Hey, Gavan_Ja!

So in short, Rhapsody discusses the loss of memory and individuality as a result of industrialisation. Eliot even uses time to show that nothing changes/gets accomplished anymore. So you can argue that Eliot paints a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life because he shows the loss of memory, individuality and innocence which result from industrialisation/modern life and show uncertainty because you and the persona remains uncertain for the entire poem.

Hope this helps!
meerae :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:42:32 pm by meerae »
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

KC181

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4400 on: June 02, 2019, 08:21:56 pm »
Hello there!

So for my assessment, one part of it is a creative and I want to use a stream of consciousness type style of writing. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to write or ace a stream of consciousness writing style?

Thank you! :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4401 on: June 02, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »
+3
Hello there!

So for my assessment, one part of it is a creative and I want to use a stream of consciousness type style of writing. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to write or ace a stream of consciousness writing style?

Thank you! :)

Hey, KC181!

Love stream of consciousness! I have two resources which you can look into for writing in this style attached below  :)

Literary Devices: How To Master Stream Of Consciousness
Stream of consciousness

As for just some tips, I would like to advise ensuring that despite the "flow" you'll be creating with the piece, aim to still have some coherence and comprehension to the string of random thoughts you'll be weaving. I think it's really important that the thoughts are unified or somehow related in one way or another, even if they're jumping around. It sounds slightly counter-intuitive since stream of consciousness is supposed to reflect the internal mindscape, but it's important that the reader can still make some sense of it. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

classof2019

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4402 on: June 09, 2019, 04:36:39 pm »
Hey,

How do I approach this question/structure a response to this question?

Texts that stand out, whatever the form, mode and medium, have a distinctive voice that creates an effect on the responder.

Respond to this statement referring to your prescribed text (Emma - Jane Austen)

I'm really unsure as to how I group content and structure my paragraphs. Any help is greatly appreciated!

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4403 on: June 09, 2019, 06:53:42 pm »
+5

Texts that stand out, whatever the form, mode and medium, have a distinctive voice that creates an effect on the responder.

Respond to this statement referring to your prescribed text (Emma - Jane Austen)

I'm really unsure as to how I group content and structure my paragraphs. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey!!

I haven't studied your text so I can't give specific examples but if I were to receive this for my prescribed text, I would start by creating a thesis that loops in the main idea you want to address.
Eg. Austen has successfully demonstrated her perspective through her use of ____ (what type of form) form, mode and medium, that texts which have a distinctive voice can have a timeless ______ (what sort of effect) effect on responders.

From here, I would find examples in the text that support my thesis. These would be examples of form, mode and medium and voice.

I would then write a paragraph about each of these examples, continually linking back to the thesis, context, voice and the effect on the responder.

If you only have one text, group each of paragraph around one type of example - eg. all examples about form and its impact / how it creates voice in the first paragraph, mode and medium in the second, etc. 
If you have multiple texts that you need to compare, focus on grouping by themes, then style (eg. form / mode / medium). Keep the examples similar if you are arguing resonance, or slightly different if you are arguing dissonance. (This is more for Module A - I'm not sure what module your text is from)

As for paragraph structure, I like to start by using the SCTEEL structure, and then once editing, I move things around the make it flow better, and to add more context and effect/analysis (those are normally the two most important things markers are looking for)
S - Statement and/or thesis
C - Context
T - Technique
E - Example
E - Effect
(keep repeating the CTEE as many times are you think necessary in each paragraph - usually 2/3)
L - Link

Hope this can help get you started!!
 :D

spnmox

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4404 on: June 11, 2019, 10:20:49 am »
Hey guys,

For our upcoming essay task, we are listening to a stimulus in class, and then writing about a Shakespeare play and its film adaptation (both of which we have studied in class). I'm not sure how to incorporate the stimulus. Apparently, we should mention it in our intro, and then talk about it conceptually throughout the essay. What exactly would we write?

Nguyeniedapooh

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4405 on: June 20, 2019, 08:38:34 pm »
Could someone please explain what human spirit means, in the context of war?

nishta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4406 on: June 23, 2019, 02:03:30 pm »
Hey, everyone.

Super random question, but how do you reference a text in an essay? My teacher has always said to underline a text title in essays, but I'm curious to see what other schools teach.  :D
HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4407 on: June 23, 2019, 06:32:32 pm »
+2
Could someone please explain what human spirit means, in the context of war?
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

Wikipedia defines the human spirit as the spiritual element of humanity and can also include our sense of awareness and judgement. To put this definition in the context of war, I would interpret human spirit as their sense of perseverance, i.e. how civilians have remained resilient during the war.

Hope this helps!

Hey, everyone.

Super random question, but how do you reference a text in an essay? My teacher has always said to underline a text title in essays, but I'm curious to see what other schools teach.  :D
Hey there,

Usually, you'd underline the text title if it's a novel, film or a journal article (if you're referring to literary scholars) and poems are left in quotation marks (the main reason is because poems are often published as a collection of poems rather than an individual piece). If you forget to underline them, the markers shouldn't mark you down but it's good to get into the habit of underlining them for the sake of formality.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4408 on: June 24, 2019, 11:19:00 am »
+2
Hey, everyone.

Underlining is also important so that the reader can distinguish between text and character (if the text is named after a character, for example Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth, lots of other Shakespeare plays)
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4409 on: June 26, 2019, 12:02:26 pm »
Hi all,

How do I actually write a persuasive essay for Mod C? I have an assessment and I need to write a persuasive essay on a particular social issue