Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 11:30:13 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1235891 times)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4290 on: January 21, 2019, 05:35:04 pm »
+1
Hi so for the questions that are set for assessments, is it necessary that they come from the syllabus. So if it it set on the syllabus, is it best to comprise notes based on the different points of the syllabus. Such as for the common module have notes on human emotions and qualities, anomalies and paradoxes etc...

Hi...
Yes, all questions should follow the syllabus.

For the common module, definitely grab some quotes for each part of the rubric (as you stated above). The best way to do this would be structuring a table that has a column for the rubric aspect, quotes, techniques, effects/analysis, context etc. This way, you can make sure that you cover all parts of the syllabus, and when you practice writing essays, you can go straight to the quotes you know are relevant to the question. It also definitely helps with memorising quotes too.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

UStoleMyBike

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4291 on: January 23, 2019, 07:07:29 pm »
Hi, doing 1984/Brave New World for Common Module

What techniques/literary devices are used in these quotes?

"'Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it." (Syme)

“‘We do not destroy the heretic because he resists us. . . . We convert him, we capture his inner mind, we reshape him.’” (O'Brien)

BNW: ‘Murder kills only the individual – and, after all, what is an individual? We can make a new one with the greatest ease. Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at society itself.’ (DHC)

I need a quote (with its techniques) that demonstrates the actions of the party in destroying individual freedoms and thinking.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:12:30 pm by UStoleMyBike »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4292 on: January 23, 2019, 07:33:37 pm »
+3

"'Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it." (Syme)

“‘We do not destroy the heretic because he resists us. . . . We convert him, we capture his inner mind, we reshape him.’” (O'Brien)

BNW: ‘Murder kills only the individual – and, after all, what is an individual? We can make a new one with the greatest ease. Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at society itself.’ (DHC)

I need a quote (with its techniques) that demonstrates the actions of the party in destroying individual freedoms and thinking.

Thanks

Hey, UStoleMyBike!

I would recommend using the second half of the second quote for 1984 and the one you currently have for Brave New World but to choose a smaller part of it since it's really long. Here's what I found for those quotes  :)

“‘We convert him, we capture his inner mind, we reshape him.’”
- Anaphora of "we" emphasising the party's collective motivations against individual freedoms and thinking.
- Commas to simulate the gradual process of freedom destruction for the individual by the party.

"what is an individual? We can make a new one with the greatest ease."
- Juxtaposition of the "individual" with the plural pronoun "we", suggesting the destruction of individual identity through mass production under collective authorities.
OR
"Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at society itself."
- Syntax of the sentence with the semi-colon signifying how an individual's "unorthodoxy" is destroyed to preserve collective interests and stability.

Hope this helps  :) Let me know if you have any further questions.

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4293 on: January 23, 2019, 07:41:54 pm »
+3

Hey there,

In this quote, you could talk about neologism since Orwell is creating a new language. Since the purpose of Newspeak is to limit human expression, this prevents the exchange of ideas and thus individuality.

Here, you could talk about the repetition of the word 'we' to reinforce control over Winston. You could also talk about the use of the pronoun 'we' to isolate Winston, giving the Inner Party a reason to indoctrinate him and allow him to "return to society."

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #4294 on: January 23, 2019, 07:54:20 pm »
+3

Thanks

Hi...
(Angelina & Olivia beat me to it, but I'll just add my thoughts, seeing as they are different)

1. "'Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it."  - Rhetoric, irony, circumlocution as a means of propaganda (like Squealer's Speech, if you know Animal Farm).

2. “‘We do not destroy the heretic because he resists us. . . . We convert him, we capture his inner mind, we reshape him.’” - Inclusive language suggests speaker is representing the views of those they are associated with, tricolon (second sentence).

3. "Murder kills only the individual – and, after all, what is an individual? We can make a new one with the greatest ease.
"Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at society itself." - Personficiation, sibilance --> conveying a toxic attitude, synecdoche ("unorthodoxy" representing the unorthodox aspects of society).

I did BNW for my own HSC last year and loved using this quote! I only used the last part of it though, so it can definitely work being shorter if you need it to be.  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:00:32 pm by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4295 on: January 23, 2019, 07:58:45 pm »
+2
(Angelina & Olivia beat me to it, but I'll just add my thoughts, seeing as they are different)

Different and bloody brilliant might I add  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Syqo

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4296 on: January 23, 2019, 10:57:26 pm »
How can I approach questions asking to discuss a statement/quote?

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #4297 on: January 23, 2019, 11:03:30 pm »
+2
How can I approach questions asking to discuss a statement/quote?

Hey, Syqo!

I'm going to assume you mean essay questions. So, when a statement/quote is given, it's important to base your thesis around it, your thesis should either agree/disagree with the quote - this could also be to an extent. Thus, your essay should be in agreement or disagreement to the statement/quote/idea presented within the question. Sometimes they may ask you to include the statement/quote within your essay; I usually do this within my intro/conclusion (depending on where it fits better) and include the notions presented in the statement/quote in my linking sentences at the end of each body paragraph.

Hope this made sense!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4298 on: January 25, 2019, 11:16:33 am »
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. I just have a question based on poetry. I am doing Rosemary Dobson's poetry as my prescribed text for the common module.
My question is: what is the effect of techniques like meter, rhyme, sound devices, etc. ?? And how do we find and analyse this in poems?
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4299 on: January 25, 2019, 12:00:44 pm »
+3
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. I just have a question based on poetry. I am doing Rosemary Dobson's poetry as my prescribed text for the common module.
My question is: what is the effect of techniques like meter, rhyme, sound devices, etc. ?? And how do we find and analyse this in poems?
Hey there,

Although I haven't really looked at Rosemary Dobson's poetry, I can give you general advice in regards to poetic techniques. When it comes to rhyme, it depends on the rhyming scheme but usually rhyme is used to create a sense of completeness. On the other hand, half-rhymes create a sense of dissatisfaction. All of this just comes from human psychology- naturally, we like to feel a sense of completeness, so maybe Dobson uses half-rhymes to evoke a reaction from you.

This is also similar with metre. We (naturally) like a sense of rhythm and stability. The best way to find rhythm is to read it out loud and see if you fall into a pattern when you read it. A great example of this is Yeats' An Irish Airman Foresees His Death, where Yeats uses the rhythm to create a sense of stability, and also predictability since the persona's predicting his fate. Or perhaps the poem does not have a regular rhythm- all of this effects the overall tone of the poem.

These are just a few examples, but the main point of these poetic techniques is to add to the textual integrity, which is essentially asking us: has the poet created a text that is consistent and produces meaning? If their purpose is ambiguous, then the poet has failed. This is why poetry can be a bit difficult because we have to nitpick at their word choice, syntax and structure to see whether the text is meaningful (and poets only have a handful of lines to express themselves).

I guess the best way to approach poems is to find any patterns (or a lack of patterns) in the poem because a lot of things (including the punctuation) has an effect. Honestly, I struggled with this throughout Year 12 so you may have to read the poem a few more times to really understand the poem because it actually took me right up until a few weeks before my HSC when I had a lightbulb moment with Yeats' poetry.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

bradsimp.son

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4300 on: January 25, 2019, 04:49:01 pm »
Hi, I'm doing Dobson poetry for my common module and am struggling heaps on finding a related text so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I'm considering An Artist of the Floating World and Brooklyn (2015 film) but I started writing an essay for Brooklyn with Dobson but found that it was really limited in ideas

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4301 on: January 25, 2019, 04:58:39 pm »
Hi, I'm doing Dobson poetry for my common module and am struggling heaps on finding a related text so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I'm considering An Artist of the Floating World and Brooklyn (2015 film) but I started writing an essay for Brooklyn with Dobson but found that it was really limited in ideas
Hey there,
We have a thread here suggesting some related texts, and we certainly have suggestions for Dobson poetry.

Hope this helps!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4302 on: January 29, 2019, 08:53:55 am »
Hello everyone,

For one of my assignments, we have to compare a text we have written with a related text through a comparative table, in order to find the relationship between them. I was originally planning on having themes on one column and then my text and the related text, but it turns out there is only ONE major theme in my story. How would you approach this type of comparison?? I have tried to think of ways to do this of a couple of days, but can't seem to find a solution. Please help!

HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4303 on: January 29, 2019, 09:41:08 am »
Hi guys,
For my HSC Task 1 I have to make a Ted Talk comparing a Kenneth Slessor to a related text and I am thinking of comparing 'Beach Burial' with 'Three Cups of Tea'.

However, I'm getting confused with what I have to do.
Would someone please be able to explain what it means by 'the anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies that exist in the representation of such experiences' and pretty much what they want me to do.
I have been on exchange for two months and this is due next week  :'(
Thanks!!

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #4304 on: January 29, 2019, 10:34:48 am »
+2
Hello everyone,

For one of my assignments, we have to compare a text we have written with a related text through a comparative table, in order to find the relationship between them. I was originally planning on having themes on one column and then my text and the related text, but it turns out there is only ONE major theme in my story. How would you approach this type of comparison?? I have tried to think of ways to do this of a couple of days, but can't seem to find a solution. Please help!

Hi!
My ext1 assignment was something similar to this - I compared how literary techniques were used to achieve a similar theme, by doing this you show that there’s a difference in the writing but they achieve the same/similar theme.

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}