Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:42:26 am

Author Topic: Vce bad English teacher  (Read 3848 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Vce bad English teacher
« on: February 17, 2020, 10:10:58 pm »
+1
Guys I have a bad teacher for a really important subject.....what should I do next?
Btw that subject is English

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Vce bad English teacher
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:12:13 pm »
+3
Guys I have a bad teacher for a really important subject.....what should I do next?
Btw that subject is English
What does 'bad' mean? Have you tried speaking with your teacher and expressing your concerns?

Without any further details or context it really is difficult to suggest options for you apart from the stock standard response.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:14:49 pm »
I feel like is just not suited to my learning styles and so on. It was only been a few weeks into year 11 and I feel already lost. Also I don't like the way that teacher answer questions. Btw we might have an exam coming up......but so far I am freaking out.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:48:42 pm by Stormbreaker-X »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 10:40:38 pm »
+5
Hmm I'll take your word on your teacher being "bad" sadly this isn't too uncommon especially in English.

Personally I would advise against in speaking directly to them about your concerns (i.e. you letting them know you think they are a bad teacher) - it is probably the easiest way to fall out of favour with your teacher. Given English is somewhat subjective and they are marking your SACs this could be disastrous.

Tutors are definitely not 100% necessary to do well in VCE but If you are sure your teacher is not good - it maybe worthwhile getting a 1 on 1 private tutor if you can afford it (hopefully someone with a high study score and previous students who have scored well + plenty of resources such as quote banks/sample essays)- if someone is going to get tutoring for one subject it would definitely be English.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:49:04 pm »
Hmm I'll take your word on your teacher being "bad" sadly this isn't too uncommon especially in English.

Personally I would advise against in speaking directly to them about your concerns (i.e. you letting them know you think they are a bad teacher) - it is probably the easiest way to fall out of favour with your teacher. Given English is somewhat subjective and they are marking your SACs this could be disastrous.

Tutors are definitely not 100% necessary to do well in VCE but If you are sure your teacher is not good - it maybe worthwhile getting a 1 on 1 private tutor if you can afford it (hopefully someone with a high study score and previous students who have scored well + plenty of resources such as quote banks/sample essays)- if someone is going to get tutoring for one subject it would definitely be English.
I thank you for your advices, also I agree I would not want to tell my teachers that they are bad. Yeah I would definite get at least a few tutors, unfortunately things had to go this way. The worst part is that this could be disastrous especially if English has to be in your top 4, I still work to the best of my ability and somehow find a way to reach a study score of 40+
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:50:38 pm by Stormbreaker-X »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:53:06 pm »
+6
Personally I would advise against in speaking directly to them about your concerns (i.e. you letting them know you think they are a bad teacher) - it is probably the easiest way to fall out of favour with your teacher.
I don't think you give teachers in general enough credit honestly and I say this with the greatest of respect - if it is approached in the correct way it can be quite beneficial to all parties involved. Of course if you go up to them and say "you're crap" then it's going to cause something, but if you perhaps approach them in a nice way and say "look I didn't really understand x or y can you please help me" 99% of the time they're going to want to try and help you (the 1% don't deserve to be in the role they're in).

I am really sick of people thinking teachers are mind readers - sure you could fork out money and get a tutor but hey, you're right in saying marking of essays is subjective and perhaps doing it in a different way to what the teacher has taught may be counter productive for SACs. Teachers cannot automatically detect that somebody is having difficulty - speak up if you don't get something.

I dunno, from my personal experience I really think it is worth having a private chat with the teacher and discussing that you aren't getting a specific concept and require further assistance. Wording it correctly is important to maintain a professional relationship - after all, teachers are humans as well. You aren't going to like every single teacher you meet and not every teaching style is going to suit you... complaining on ATAR Notes isn't really as effective. The teacher is still there, this isn't going to change anytime soon and they will keep teaching the same way unless you let them know you aren't getting it... because silence is golden from a general teaching point of view (a good teacher would do what's called "check for understanding" at regular intervals so they can identify who gets it, who doesn't and what intervention strategies are necessary for success).

I know this is a blunt response but really I needed to write this one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:02:04 pm by Aaron »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 11:14:18 pm »
+4
-
I mean, I agree with you on most of this tbh I think you just misinterpreted my post. Definitely go ask your teacher's for additional help outside of class and as you said you will get help - this has multiple beneficial effects. Firstly the obvious getting better at the subject through the additional teaching but also shows your interest to your teacher thus they are more likely going to be invested in your progression through the year so you get more help throughout the year.

Asking help for specific areas and concepts is much easier than talking about a teacher's whole style. Definitely don't show any disdain towards their overall style (even if it is in hope of receiving better help). I know in theory it would be great if you could have a discussion with your teacher's about what works for you and what parts of your teacher's teaching is not great for you - possibly this may be ok with a theoretical version teacher but beyond that, I don't like the probabilities of it backfiring.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 05:54:53 pm »
+5
Seconding what Aaron said. Tell your teacher that you're not understanding a certain concept that they're teaching, or that you don't really follow what they mean when they say x thing in class. The teacher won't know unless you tell them. Everyone has different learning styles so it's impossible that all your teachers will instantly be a fit for you - you just have to work with them to make it a better learning environment for you.

I had some issues with my year 12 English teacher re: learning styles and the way things were taught, it helped me so much to talk to them and let them know I was struggling. It made me enjoy class a lot more and they gave me heaps of different strategies to use.

Teachers aren't there to make your life hard, they're there to help you learn things :) All the best.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 07:47:25 pm »
Seconding what Aaron said. Tell your teacher that you're not understanding a certain concept that they're teaching, or that you don't really follow what they mean when they say x thing in class. The teacher won't know unless you tell them. Everyone has different learning styles so it's impossible that all your teachers will instantly be a fit for you - you just have to work with them to make it a better learning environment for you.

I had some issues with my year 12 English teacher re: learning styles and the way things were taught, it helped me so much to talk to them and let them know I was struggling. It made me enjoy class a lot more and they gave me heaps of different strategies to use.

Teachers aren't there to make your life hard, they're there to help you learn things :) All the best.
I will try to have a better attitude in English, I have committed myself to trying despite setbacks and have prioritised this subject. Yeah I will continue to ask questions in class and still put in the best of my abilities. Although this is still early on into the year and I cannot say for certain if that teacher will improve. *Also my teacher is creepy and hard to approach*
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:58:20 pm by Stormbreaker-X »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 11:20:49 pm »
Sorry for double posting, I would also like to let you all know that I am struggling in chemistry, biology and methods because the workload is too much and I got really bad time management. So far this year (I am in year 11 now), I hope it is not too late to fix up my mistakes and reach my dream goals (90+ Atar).

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 05:20:47 pm »
Sorry for double posting, I would also like to let you all know that I am struggling in chemistry, biology and methods because the workload is too much and I got really bad time management. So far this year (I am in year 11 now), I hope it is not too late to fix up my mistakes and reach my dream goals (90+ Atar).
If you're struggling with the workload, have a chat to your teachers and get some advice from them. It can even be beneficial to see a counsellor at school bc they're super experienced with this stuff! I remember the adjustment from year 10 to year 11 being massive and overwhelming. Give yourself some time to get into a routine. Year 11 is a bit of a practice run for year 12, if things don't go to plan in year 11 it definitely doesn't impact how you'll go in year 12, it just gives you the chance to develop good study habits and when you make mistakes you don't have to stress about it affecting your ATAR.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 05:31:30 pm »
Since I don't want to start the same new thread again, I am gonna give a quick update. So this term sucks and my English teacher is still very bad. So far I have missed multiple lessons online and don't feel like attending those lessons at all, I really dislike my teacher. Worst teacher I ever had, anyways you guys got any free English tips for me? That does not include chatting with my teacher and telling her she should change or complaining to her. Pls reply I really can't take any more of her lame classes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 06:14:32 pm by Stormbreaker-X »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 05:47:47 pm »
+5
Since I don't want to start the same thread again, I am gonna give a quick update. So this term sucks and my English teacher is still very bad. So far I have missed multiple lessons online and don't feel like attending those lessons at all, I really dislike my teacher and right now I am considering jumping off a bridge just to avoid her classes. Worst teacher I ever had, anyways you guys got any free English tips for me? That does not include chatting with my teacher and telling her she should change or complaining to her. Pls reply I really can't take any more of her lame classes.

Can I respectfully ask you to think before you post in the future please. Some of your posts lately have been extremely inconsiderate.

Please know if this is genuinely the case, there are many supports available to you. I would advise if you are genuinely feeling this way, to please get in touch with a professional so they can assist you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:49:58 pm by Aaron »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 05:56:06 pm »
Can I respectfully ask you to think before you post in the future please. Some of your posts lately have been extremely inconsiderate.

Please know if this is genuinely the case, there are many supports available to you. I would advise if you are genuinely feeling this way, to please get in touch with a professional so they can assist you.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't any professional help. Suggestions and tips should do. Also my post are never to offend anyone, apologies if you are offended.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 05:57:33 pm »
+6
Since I don't want to start the same thread again, I am gonna give a quick update. So this term sucks and my English teacher is still very bad. So far I have missed multiple lessons online and don't feel like attending those lessons at all, I really dislike my teacher and right now I am considering jumping off a bridge just to avoid her classes. Worst teacher I ever had, anyways you guys got any free English tips for me? That does not include chatting with my teacher and telling her she should change or complaining to her. Pls reply I really can't take any more of her lame classes.
- Chat to the school counsellor/online counsellor
- Do the work, if you need feedback for like essays or something chat to another English teacher
- also bear in mind complaining and having such a negative mindset is not going to help you in any way and if you are stuck in that mindset about this teacher you won't change or be open to anything.
- go to the classes do the work and do extra work to help learn the way you want to learn
- Please just communicate with the teacher, tell her you are struggling/your learning style doesn't match her teaching style
- I'm also sorry your feeling that way but AN isn't the place to be saying stuff like this unless you are asking for help on who to reach out to, such as the resources below
(its the same as the issue atm of people not knowing the line between dark humour and offensive/triggering content)
eHeadspace
Beyond Blue Chat
Psychology Services
and if you arent being genuine then consider a better choice of words to convey how you are feeling

I understand its really difficult to deal with a 'bad' teacher but you should try and take on board suggestions such as communicating with your teacher :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 06:10:57 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP