Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:10 pm

Author Topic: Chemistry marking scheme  (Read 1271 times)  Share 

xenx

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Chemistry marking scheme
« on: July 16, 2020, 09:46:56 am »
Hey guys,
How is sig figs and state marks taken off? I got taken a mark off for sigfigs but my answer was already wrong. Additionally I was taken a mark off for the wrong states but I included states in my answer even though it was wrong so I didn’t get the mark for the question. Thanks in advance!

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: Chemistry marking scheme
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:03:59 am »
Hello!

I'm pretty sure that 1 mark is taken off overall from your exam mark if you have the wrong states and 1 mark is also taken off if you have the wrong number of sig figs in your answer.
Since you got the answer wrong, you wouldn't get the mark regardless of whether you put the correct states or not.

xenx

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 10:18:51 am »
Hello!

I'm pretty sure that 1 mark is taken off overall from your exam mark if you have the wrong states and 1 mark is also taken off if you have the wrong number of sig figs in your answer.
Since you got the answer wrong, you wouldn't get the mark regardless of whether you put the correct states or not.
That’s what I thought! So on our sacs they circle states/sig figs/units if we don’t include them in the corner of a particular page. So I can tell which question they are referring to. Like these questions that I got the mark taken off were ones I got wrong and they were only worth one mark (so practically they’re there taking 2 marks off for a one mark question). And I am certain that I included other s/sf/u in my other answers so don’t think it’s possibly from those ones. I asked the teacher and she said it doesn’t matter that I got the question wrong, which I think is quite unfair.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:23:52 am »
+3
Yes, that does seem unfair.  :(
But if they're doing that to your paper, they're doing that to everyone else's paper as well, so it won't affect your ranking in SACs.
But, the good thing is, I'm pretty sure they don't do that in the 3 4 exam at the end of the year.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:44:29 am »
+6
I'm not entirely sure if this is right, but this is what my teacher told my class in regards to sig figs. (She's a VCAA marker)

So essentially, for the entire exam, they choose one question that they WILL penalise sig figs for - this is decided, but they don't tell you. For the other questions, even if you slightly mess up your sig figs you will not be penalised. But this being said, your sig figs should be accurate for all questions just to be on the safe side, as you dont know which question they'll penalise you for.

Not sure if this is right, but its what I was told.
But of course, SACs is a different story, and up to your teacher.

Not sure how states work though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:46:12 am by ArtyDreams »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 01:17:14 pm »
+3
I'm not entirely sure if this is right, but this is what my teacher told my class in regards to sig figs. (She's a VCAA marker)

So essentially, for the entire exam, they choose one question that they WILL penalise sig figs for - this is decided, but they don't tell you. For the other questions, even if you slightly mess up your sig figs you will not be penalised. But this being said, your sig figs should be accurate for all questions just to be on the safe side, as you dont know which question they'll penalise you for.

Not sure if this is right, but its what I was told.
But of course, SACs is a different story, and up to your teacher.

Not sure how states work though.
Yeah this is my understanding of sig figs in the vce chem exam