Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 01:58:42 am

Author Topic: Applying for ADF Gap Year  (Read 5638 times)  Share 

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Applying for ADF Gap Year
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:22:08 pm »
+16
Hi...

I am going to be applying for the Australian Defence Force Gap Year Program for 2019 in a few weeks time. Thought I'd post this on AN, so that if there is anyone else interested in applying for 2019, this is a friendly reminder that applications open soon!   ;)

Also, for people considering applying for this in the future, if I get further than the online applications, I may be able to provide some insight into what the process/ Gap Year in general will be like. I have researched the program fairly thoroughly, so feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding how it works. I might post some further updates if people are interested!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:23:53 pm by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Applying for ADF Gap Year
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:00:32 am »
+1
I'd love to hear how you go with this kauac! Please keep us posted :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 05:18:24 pm »
+4
I lodged my application today! (They also officially opened today) I chose some of the air force options for my 3 preferences: crew attendant, aviation support technician and airbase security.

There were two parts to the application: an initial application, which was fairly straight forward, and supplementary application, which was a little tedious. It pretty much asked for all of your resume information without actually getting you to upload it, so there was a lot of typing involved...

Next, I have to wait to be contacted by a recruiter to book an information/aptitude session... I honestly don't think I will get very far through the process, but I guess there's no shame in trying.  :D

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:58:24 pm »
+3
Everything's been progressing pretty fast!

I was contacted by the recruiters over the weekend to book my YOU Session - where there will be aptitude testing, a medical questionnaire and you talk to a ADF careers counsellor. I have to be there are 7.30am (eek!), which means catching an even earlier train.  ;D They said the session will go for 4-5 hours.

This is last guaranteed stage of the application - after this, from my understanding, they pick who they will interview and then go from there...

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »
+3
Everything's been progressing pretty fast!

I was contacted by the recruiters over the weekend to book my YOU Session - where there will be aptitude testing, a medical questionnaire and you talk to a ADF careers counsellor. I have to be there are 7.30am (eek!), which means catching an even earlier train.  ;D They said the session will go for 4-5 hours.

This is last guaranteed stage of the application - after this, from my understanding, they pick who they will interview and then go from there...

Nice one! Good on you for pursuing this. :) Definitely keen to stay in the loop with how you progress.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 01:35:43 pm »
+3
(May have forgotten about this thread oops!  ;D)

So a few weeks ago, I attended my YOU session at the defence recruiting centre. It went really well, and my aptitude test results meant that I could pick any job... It was pretty funny because the ADF careers counsellor was trying to push me to apply to be a pilot (I would have made the most terrible pilot though haha!  ;D).

Just have been sorting out an issue with my medical this week, which means that I can't apply for some of my jobs on my original preference list... I have now swapped a few of my preferences around, then hopefully will be contacted to book an assessment session - the next stage in the process.

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »
So, it's been a while, but I've finally booked my assessment session in!

It consists of three parts:

A job interview
A psychological interview
A medical examination.

Really the only one I need to prepare for is the job interview, where I need to know all about the specific jobs I am applying for, as well as general Air Force and ADF knowledge... Shouldn't be too hard, especially since my Dad will be able to help quiz me on it (he's in the Air Force).

This is the stage where they decide whether you are a yay or a nay, so it's pretty important...But I'm not too worried about the end result... This process so far has helped me develop many skills (such as being comfortable talking on the phone) that will be help me later in time...  :)

masonbursill

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 05:30:34 pm »
+1
Any updates at all?
Would they accept someone who was purely going just for the gap year and not to stay on?