Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:55:56 pm

Author Topic: How much to revise?  (Read 800 times)  Share 

spagehetti

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How much to revise?
« on: January 09, 2020, 10:29:11 am »
New to AN so this might be a silly question :P

Reading through the forums, I've seen a lot of topics on how many hours to revise and from what I gather, it's a very personal thing. But I'd like to know how often I should revise a concept. For example, lets say I just learnt calculus, how often should I revist this topic. Should I just revise it a week or so before a SAC or should I revise it every couple of months?

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: How much to revise?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:24:57 am »
Topics like calculus are applied throughout the methods course even for later topics like probability, so you shouldn’t technically find yourself in a position of forgetting what you learnt earlier in the year (at least not for calculus anyway). But in general you should absolutely be aiming to revise constantly throughout the year, even occasionally, but regularly. As for *how* regularly, it depends on how strong your foundation is, but at least once a month sounds optimal.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 12:23:30 pm »
New to AN so this might be a silly question :P

Reading through the forums, I've seen a lot of topics on how many hours to revise and from what I gather, it's a very personal thing. But I'd like to know how often I should revise a concept. For example, lets say I just learnt calculus, how often should I revist this topic. Should I just revise it a week or so before a SAC or should I revise it every couple of months?
I would recommend revising continuously throughout the year. This can be done a couple of ways but the best way imo is completing exam-style practice questions from the topics you have learnt throughout the year.

A lot of students struggle converting textbook knowledge and understanding of methods to exam questions so it becomes very useful to start early on this.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 12:29:19 pm »
There is an interesting concept called the forgetting curve - which describes the decline of memory retention over time, when there is no attempt to retain memory. So, I would recommend consistently reviewing content you have learnt over the course of the year, as to not be so affected by the forgetting curve. But as colline stated, some topics such as calculus will be applied throughout the whole year. That is one thing that I have found with methods (even though I'm in the QCE system), majority of the content you learn in units 1 and 2, you will revisit in units 3 & 4 - as that knowledge is foundational. So yeah, continuous revision, but that shouldn't be too difficult as you should cover a lot of the content many times in class.
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics