Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:49:21 pm

Author Topic: Complementary Angles - Circular functions  (Read 1377 times)  Share 

jashaan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Complementary Angles - Circular functions
« on: December 28, 2019, 08:48:42 pm »
I was wondering whether we need to memorise the complementary/supplementary angle rules and are there many questions related to it in the exam?

Thank you!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Complementary Angles - Circular functions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:11:12 pm »
+4
I was wondering whether we need to memorise the complementary/supplementary angle rules and are there many questions related to it in the exam?

Thank you!
It is definitely not worthwhile rote-learning all those angle rules but make sure you understand them and have the ability to derive them if necessary e.g. using the unit circle

A possible question would be something like evaluate sin(pi/2 - theta)
Assuming theta is between 0 and pi/2 (i.e. within the 1st quadrant)

The way I would solve this is picture pi/2 on a unit circle and visualise a deduction of theta from that. Thus, that angle is within the 1st quadrant. In the 1st quadrant sin/cos/tan are all positive.

So sin(pi/2 - theta) = cos(theta)

Another example would be solve cos(3pi/2 - theta)
thus this angle in the 3rd quadrant. Sin is negative here so.
cos(3pi/2 - theta) = -sin(theta)

jashaan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 11:51:24 am »
It is definitely not worthwhile rote-learning all those angle rules but make sure you understand them and have the ability to derive them if necessary e.g. using the unit circle

A possible question would be something like evaluate sin(pi/2 - theta)
Assuming theta is between 0 and pi/2 (i.e. within the 1st quadrant)

The way I would solve this is picture pi/2 on a unit circle and visualise a deduction of theta from that. Thus, that angle is within the 1st quadrant. In the 1st quadrant sin/cos/tan are all positive.

So sin(pi/2 - theta) = cos(theta)

Another example would be solve cos(3pi/2 - theta)
thus this angle in the 3rd quadrant. Sin is negative here so.
cos(3pi/2 - theta) = -sin(theta)

Thank you!

But why is sin(pi/2+theta) = cos theta, considering that is second quadrant and in that, cos is negative??
and also cos(pi/2 + theta) = -sin theta, considering that is first quadrant and sin is meant to be positive?

MOD EDIT: merged posts
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:56:07 pm by Sine »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 12:55:21 pm »
+2
But why is sin(pi/2+theta) = cos theta, considering that is second quadrant and in that, cos is negative??
and also cos(pi/2 + theta) = -sin theta, considering that is first quadrant and sin is meant to be positive?

For your second equation that is actually the 2nd quadrant but yes sin is positive there as well.

I might not have been clear in my first post but as a rule, you should consider what quadrant the original circular function is in. Not what circular function you are trying to equate it to.

E.g. cos(pi/2 + theta) is in the 2nd quadrant.  Thus you know cos(pi/2 + theta) is negative.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 12:58:38 pm »
+3
For your second equation that is actually the 2nd quadrant but yes sin is positive there as well.

I might not have been clear in my first post but as a rule, you should consider what quadrant the original circular function is in. Not what circular function you are trying to equate it to.

E.g. cos(pi/2 + theta) is in the 2nd quadrant.  Thus you know cos(pi/2 + theta) is negative.
Shouldn't you technically say that pi/2 + theta is in the 2nd quadrant, and hence cos(pi/2 + theta) is negative?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:00:39 pm »
+1
Shouldn't you technically say that pi/2 + theta is in the 2nd quadrant, and hence cos(pi/2 + theta) is negative?
YES  :P

EDIT: my bad
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:03:20 pm by Sine »

jashaan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 12:15:31 pm »
YES  :P

EDIT: my bad

Hahaha, that's alright, but yes I understand what you meant :) Thank you!