Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:14:48 am

Author Topic: I Need Some Serious Advice  (Read 1285 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
I Need Some Serious Advice
« on: December 16, 2019, 09:30:07 pm »
So I barely scraped a pass in both 1/2 methods (i did not do any SACs, tests so I didn't even get a grade, just an S), as I did a reduced workload due to unforeseen circumstances. I still plan on doing 3/4 next year, and to be honest I am quite scared at how I am going to go with the very little capabilities that I have in the subject. I would also like to do decently well, by scoring over a 35.

I was thinking that to get a better foundation, that I would try and essentially re-learn all of unit 1 and 2 by doing practice questions from the Cambridge textbook and watching videos. My logic in this is comes from that unit 3/4 are just 1/2 but a bit harder.  Maybe work into unit 3 a little as well. I am wondering if this is a good idea, and if it is possible to actually do well.

I really feel overwhelmed by my situation, and I really just want any advice in what to do.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: I Need Some Serious Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 09:47:40 pm »
+8
So I barely scraped a pass in both 1/2 methods (i did not do any SACs, tests so I didn't even get a grade, just an S), as I did a reduced workload due to unforeseen circumstances. I still plan on doing 3/4 next year, and to be honest I am quite scared at how I am going to go with the very little capabilities that I have in the subject. I would also like to do decently well, by scoring over a 35.

I was thinking that to get a better foundation, that I would try and essentially re-learn all of unit 1 and 2 by doing practice questions from the Cambridge textbook and watching videos. My logic in this is comes from that unit 3/4 are just 1/2 but a bit harder.  Maybe work into unit 3 a little as well. I am wondering if this is a good idea, and if it is possible to actually do well.

I really feel overwhelmed by my situation, and I really just want any advice in what to do.

Hi Geoo! ;D
First things first, take a deep breath. You will be fine don't worry. :D
I think getting a head start is an absolutely amazing idea! It would be very beneficial to use these holidays to help improve your understanding of Methods. Quite a bit of 3/4 Methods is built on Unit 1/2 so if you have certain areas you are really struggling in, I highly recommend that you revisit them (and then once you are done with your weaknesses in 1/2, go into Unit 3). Jumping straight into practise questions will help you will your application of your knowledge and might even help you reduce time in the long run. Try to avoid writing notes and focus more on the application as in the end, you will be given a formula sheet/bound reference in the exam. Take your time to really understand the material and make sure you learn in a way that works for you!
Anyone can do well with a bit of strategic planning and a willingness to learn and always improve :)

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:49:36 pm »
+7
It is definitely possible to improve your capabilities in methods; in Unit 1/2 I was terrible at methods then decided to work much harder for Unit 3/4 and my sac average went from 60s to 90s. Textbook questions, edrolo/ khan academy etc and practise exams are the best way to learn the content and hone your abilities in maths (and science too).
Good luck.
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »
+6
Hi Geoo!

Please don't feel scared! It is really possible to do well in Methods, even if you didn't do the best in 1/2. Depending on your teacher, they might go through some topics from scratch. My 3/4 methods teacher went through everything in detail, even teaching us how to graph basic functions from scratch.

Unit 3/4 builds on topics learnt in 1/2, with a few added ones. Theres no much point going through the entire 1/2 course. Some topics, such as kinematics, is taught extensively in 1/2, but barely touched upon in units 3/4. Just to save time, you could go through the Unit 1/2 study design, and compare it with the 3/4 and learn the topics that over lap (if that makes sense.)

If you have access to them, it might be worthwhile skimming through the SACs set in Unit1/2. Learning CAS functions will also be a lifesaver.

Some topics that is worth going over during the break is: (You can go through these into 1/2 standard, 3/4 standard should be taugh during class, but wont be that much harder.
1. Sketching basic functions (quadratics, hyperbolas, truncus, square root graphs, quartics, etc)
2. Transformations/Reflections (An important one! It will help you so much if you can learn these well)
3. Properties of th Derivative function, how to use it and what is signifies
4. Basic sine, cos, and tan graphs, and solutions of these

The biggest tip I can give is don't stress. Work through everything slowly, and target your weak spots  ;D

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:58:16 pm by ArtyDreams »

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:52:57 pm »
+7
Quote from: Geoo
I was thinking that to get a better foundation, that I would try and essentially re-learn all of unit 1 and 2 by doing practice questions from the Cambridge textbook and watching videos. My logic in this is comes from that unit 3/4 are just 1/2 but a bit harder.
Oof, that's a lot! Frankly, I don't think that's necessary, because not all of unit 1/2 content carries onto unit 3/4. For example, you would not need to know how to add or multiply matrices in 3/4.

It is true though that you must have a strong foundation if you wish to do well in 3/4. I think the most important topic to get down is functions and calculus, because all of unit 3/4 is built upon this, even in later topics such as probability and statistics. It could be helpful to get a bunch of worksheets on sketching functions and work through them before the new year.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 01:44:29 pm »
Thank you to everyone who replied. This has made me feel alot better, and I will definitely being taking the advice and suggestions!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash