Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:52 pm

Author Topic: "Dedicated" to play soccer next semester  (Read 3470 times)  Share 

Yeezus

Re: "Dedicated" to play soccer next semester
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 12:00:09 am »
With no disrespect, but if you are over the age of 18 and have never had a professional contract, you will never play international soccer.

To become a professional soccer player (on the international stage), you need 10,000 hours of practise before you turn 16, which is about 20 hours of practise a week from age of 6. It is a highly competitive industry. On top of this you need a lot of talent, a lot of connections, a lot of luck and a lot more luck.

When you train for these insane hours from the young age, high chance that your joints wear out/get injuries which set you back.

I had about 3 friends I played with as a junior sign professional youth contracts, one of them (Jamie Maclaren) is on track to make it as a professional.

On top of this, you need amazing genetics. I'm sorry to say this, but it just can't be done. You need years and years of honing your skills and improving your physical fitness to the point where you're insane at it.

As a simple diagnostic, go out and see how many juggles of the ball you can make without dropping the ball, almost all professionals can juggle the ball for at least 1 hour without dropping it and if not for tiredness could go on for days.

It is insanely difficult to make it as a professional soccer player from Australia because we are so far behind Europe/South America.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:03:24 am by Yeezus »

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 12:09:18 am »
+3
Don't listen to him Dedicated, all you need is heart.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 12:13:10 am »
+2
With no disrespect, but if you are over the age of 18 and have never had a professional contract, you will never play international soccer.

To become a professional soccer player (on the international stage), you need 10,000 hours of practise before you turn 16, which is about 20 hours of practise a week from age of 6. It is a highly competitive industry. On top of this you need a lot of talent, a lot of connections, a lot of luck and a lot more luck.

When you train for these insane hours from the young age, high chance that your joints wear out/get injuries which set you back.

I had about 3 friends I played with as a junior sign professional youth contracts, one of them (Jamie Maclaren) is on track to make it as a professional.

you dont have to sign a pro contract before youre 16, most pro players didnt ! drogba didnt get a contract until he was 21 !

its just that if you start playing too late when your motor neurons start to prune themselves in adolescence it gets harder and harder to pick up the really technical skills and fluidity that (most) soccer players need, as well as watching the game for ages to know when/where to run and that sort of thing

i think if you have played A grade soccer for three or more years before youre 16, or APS first XI soccer for like two years, and just quit for a while because of studying or whatever, you can get fit enough to play

Mladen Bartolović is a member of the Bosian NT. He did not play soccer until he was 16. and ian wright played sunday league soccer until his 22nd birthday

but the odds are you wont go pro
but how funny would it be if we all did and in a press conference we mentioned this thread as motivation and all realised we're secretly AN buddies weve never met in person, then win the world cup for australia
yay

abcdqdxD

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 12:21:29 am »
+1
Look at Sasa Ognenovski. Few years ago, he was only playing Victorian League (part-time) and worked as a tradie. Look at him now. Representing Australia. Named best AFC player. Going to a world cup.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.

scribble

• is sexier than Cthulhu
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +145
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:15 am »
It took me a disturbingly long time to get this joke...
...i've stared at it for the last couple of minutes and still dont get it. Q____________Q

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 12:52:34 am »
...i've stared at it for the last couple of minutes and still dont get it. Q____________Q

same someone please explain

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 01:02:21 am »
+1
same someone please explain
double entendre with his username
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Yeezus

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 10:26:59 am »
+1
Look at Sasa Ognenovski. Few years ago, he was only playing Victorian League (part-time) and worked as a tradie. Look at him now. Representing Australia. Named best AFC player. Going to a world cup.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.

The Victorian league is not easy at all to play in. And Sasa Ogenovski was playing in the national league at age 21, he then transferred to the Greek first league, suffered an injury, spent two seasons in a Victorian club and was then again in the national league.

I said you need 10,000 hours of practise by 16, not a professional contract by 16, anyway, that figure was if you want to make it to the highest level of football.

I'm not so much deterring you from your task, just trying to make you realise this is an enormous mountain to climb and it takes so much practise to do what the professionals do. I mean you have to understand, in a lot of European and South American countries, the way out of poverty is dribbling a football, these kids work from the moment they are born to play for some of these clubs.

Imagine a bloke who dropped out of  school in grade 1 now comes to a university and says, 'I'm going to get 100 in this semester in every subject', that's about as tough as it is.

And you cannot compare Drogba signing his first professional contract at 21, he was in an elite French youth set-up at the time. Yes he was a late bloomer, but he still received and expert football education, something we don't have in Australia, which is why if you're good enough to make it internationally in Australia, you'd have signed a professional contract by 18 with one of the A-League clubs.

I'll put it to you this way, it's a lot more difficult representing Australian national soccer team than getting an ATAR of 99.95, that's for sure.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:33:29 am by Yeezus »

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 10:33:52 am »
+6
If you are less than age 20, you still have a chance, just practice soccer 24/7 for 1.14 years = 10,000 hours. There's still time hurry.

Edit:
Spoiler
I assume all here are older than 16 though so getting 10,000 hours before 16 seems a bit late.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:32:05 pm by golden »
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 10:34:35 am »
If you are less than age 20, you still have a chance, just practice soccer 24/7 for 1.14 years = 10,000 hours. There's still time hurry.

LOL!!!!!
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.