Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:35:30 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469850 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #435 on: May 28, 2017, 02:54:34 pm »
+1
Hey Psychlings!

I am currently in year 12 and I am doing psychology (obviously)

I was wondering, usually people who get above 45 in psychology do like 15 practice exams.
With the new study design there isn't much to practice on!
What resources have you been using, are planning to use or recommend if you are aiming for a 45 in psychology?

Your replies are appreciated!!
Hey Ashjames!

I've had a quick peek at the 2017 Psych Study Design and it doesn't look like it's overly changed from previous years. Although not 100% accurate, any previous resources up to 2017 should still be relevant to some degree (70-95% usually between years). Thus, you can use any of the ones I listed in the previous post with a hint of caution, with the knowledge that textbooks and the latest Checkpoints are usually relevant to the current or last study design. I can't find it currently, but someone probably remembers where the study design changes are kept for you to double check that, so you can avoid the sections that have been altered. Hopefully that helps.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #436 on: May 28, 2017, 03:01:18 pm »
Hey Ashjames!

I've had a quick peek at the 2017 Psych Study Design and it doesn't look like it's overly changed from previous years. Although not 100% accurate, any previous resources up to 2017 should still be relevant to some degree (70-95% usually between years). Thus, you can use any of the ones I listed in the previous post with a hint of caution, with the knowledge that textbooks and the latest Checkpoints are usually relevant to the current or last study design. I can't find it currently, but someone probably remembers where the study design changes are kept for you to double check that, so you can avoid the sections that have been altered. Hopefully that helps.

Yep - the thread I link below may be of use. :)

A summary of changes to the 2017+ study design.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #437 on: May 28, 2017, 03:38:44 pm »
+1
Hey Psychlings!

I am currently in year 12 and I am doing psychology (obviously)

I was wondering, usually people who get above 45 in psychology do like 15 practice exams.
With the new study design there isn't much to practice on!
What resources have you been using, are planning to use or recommend if you are aiming for a 45 in psychology?

Your replies are appreciated!!

It's a painful problem, I do feel sorry for you.

To give you an idea, I did about 10 prac exams for Psych, as they can be pretty long and arduous. I won't lie, I feel like the Psych study design has changed quite significantly from the previous one - particularly Unit 4, although I haven't looked at that in as much detail yet.

I would still definitely be doing past VCAA exams and trying to pick out relevant exam questions. Painful, I know, but still definitely worth it. VCAA have also put out a sample exam for the new study design. Other than that, the companies I did practice exams from included NEAP, Insight and STAV, so I would check those out to see if they've put out anything new. 

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: May 28, 2017, 03:41:54 pm »
@Ashjames,

Out of interest, would you find it useful if somebody (hypothetically) went through previous Psych exams and identified which questions were still relevant? Like, would that make things easier? :)

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #439 on: May 28, 2017, 05:35:15 pm »
+1
@Ashjames,

Out of interest, would you find it useful if somebody (hypothetically) went through previous Psych exams and identified which questions were still relevant? Like, would that make things easier? :)

OMGGGG are you serious??? I'd be on cloud 9 if someone did that for me!!!! Seeing as I have 2 other subjects which are content heavy (texts and traditions and business management) I kind of don't have enough time for anything like that  :'( (you feel me??)

But if someone meant to do that, I would appreciate it soooooo muchhhhhhhhhh  ;D

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #440 on: May 30, 2017, 07:52:44 pm »
Wait guys, so if I was given a report, how would I identify a possible hypothesis for the study? And is the saving score stuff something we need to learn, or just what relearning is?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:42:27 pm by Novashock »
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #441 on: May 30, 2017, 08:10:22 pm »
Wait guys, so if I was given a report, how would I identify a possible hypothesis for the study?

It's usually explicitly stated in the introduction as something like "we hypothesised that...", but if you're stuck, you can usually deduce it from the conclusion or ending of the discussion.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:21:20 pm by remi »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #442 on: May 31, 2017, 10:41:37 am »
+1
OMGGGG are you serious??? I'd be on cloud 9 if someone did that for me!!!! Seeing as I have 2 other subjects which are content heavy (texts and traditions and business management) I kind of don't have enough time for anything like that  :'( (you feel me??)

But if someone meant to do that, I would appreciate it soooooo muchhhhhhhhhh  ;D

It will get done. 8)

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #443 on: June 04, 2017, 09:44:00 pm »
+1
Hey guys !!! It's me again hehe, so basically i was wondering,
1- Can we forget information that is held in the short term and sensory memories? Or is it because they haven't been consolidated properly, they were never able to be forgotten in the first place?
2- Would consolidation and encoding be considered the same thing or?
3- How do context and state dependent cues help our ability to retrieve implicit and explicit memories? Is it because they just aid in locating and retrieving the memories?
4- and what are some limitations of the retrieval failure theory?

THANKS AGAIN DUDES <3
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #444 on: June 04, 2017, 10:04:23 pm »
+3
Hey guys !!! It's me again hehe, so basically i was wondering,
1- Can we forget information that is held in the short term and sensory memories? Or is it because they haven't been consolidated properly, they were never able to be forgotten in the first place?
2- Would consolidation and encoding be considered the same thing or?
3- How do context and state dependent cues help our ability to retrieve implicit and explicit memories? Is it because they just aid in locating and retrieving the memories?
4- and what are some limitations of the retrieval failure theory?

THANKS AGAIN DUDES <3

1) Nope. Forgetting is defined as an inability to retrieve stored information, and since information technically isn't stored within sensory or STM, you can't 'forget' information in them.

2) Nope. Consolidation is making memories stronger neurologically, whereas encoding is converting information into a form that could be stored in memory. There is some overlap, but they're mostly different.

3) Yes? Not sure though - check with someone else for this one. .

4) Only one I could think of is that  you can't really validly test the model scientifically, since you can't be sure if the memory is even in LTM in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:07:20 pm by remi »

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #445 on: June 05, 2017, 04:51:31 pm »
+1
1) Nope. Forgetting is defined as an inability to retrieve stored information, and since information technically isn't stored within sensory or STM, you can't 'forget' information in them.

2) Nope. Consolidation is making memories stronger neurologically, whereas encoding is converting information into a form that could be stored in memory. There is some overlap, but they're mostly different.

3) Yes? Not sure though - check with someone else for this one. .

4) Only one I could think of is that  you can't really validly test the model scientifically, since you can't be sure if the memory is even in LTM in the first place.

Top answers, Remi! Would agree with all of them. Just a couple of notes I would add:

2) There definitely is some overlap between consolidation and encoding, and occasionally you may see the terms used similarly.

3) State and context dependent cues do make it easier to locate and retrieve the memory, as has been said. This is simply because the external environment (for content) or the feeling/emotion (for state) acts a cue to help retrieve those memories. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #446 on: June 05, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »
3) State and context dependent cues do make it easier to locate and retrieve the memory, as has been said. This is simply because the external environment (for content) or the feeling/emotion (for state) acts a cue to help retrieve those memories. :)

You can even use this knowledge to aid your own exam performance. :) For example, if you know where your exams will be held (as in, the physical location), you might like to do your practice exams there! ;)

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #447 on: June 05, 2017, 05:08:04 pm »
+2

Ashjames, just a note to you (and others) that you may want to check out this thread here, if you haven't already. 

LukeFromVic

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #448 on: June 07, 2017, 10:29:33 pm »
Hey Guys,

I stumbled upon this in the textbook regarding recall, relearning and recognition;

"Recall tends to be the least sensitive measure of retention
Relearning tends to be the most sensitive measure of retention
Recognition tends to be less sensitive than relearning but more sensitive than recall. "

Can somebody please explain what the term 'senstive' means in this context?! I don't really understand what it's trying to say.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #449 on: June 08, 2017, 09:14:17 am »
Hey Guys,

I stumbled upon this in the textbook regarding recall, relearning and recognition;

"Recall tends to be the least sensitive measure of retention
Relearning tends to be the most sensitive measure of retention
Recognition tends to be less sensitive than relearning but more sensitive than recall. "

Can somebody please explain what the term 'senstive' means in this context?! I don't really understand what it's trying to say.

You can basically replace "sensitive" with "effective". So recall is least likely to be effective in the retention of information, and recognition the most effective.

It's weird terminology, I agree. :)