Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:53:52 am

Author Topic: VCE English Language Exam - 31/10/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions  (Read 7399 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477

Post all exam discussion, questions, and sample solutions here! To make a post, you will have to be logged in. If you don't yet have an ATAR Notes account, you can register here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:24:33 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

HaileyAstiare

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE English Language Exam - 31/10/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 08:04:35 am »
Hey. I need to know the extent that VCAA expects you to write on both visuals. For example, omitting the EFTPOS visual because you had a bad idea? Also, did anyone find anything good for the visuals?

Zappi

• Forum Regular
  • Official ATARNotes Passerer of Food
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 08:10:41 am »
+2
Hey. I need to know the extent that VCAA expects you to write on both visuals. For example, omitting the EFTPOS visual because you had a bad idea? Also, did anyone find anything good for the visuals?

This thread is for the English Language exam, not the English exam. Post your question here and they'll happily answer your question :D https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=188410.45
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

My website: https://zappi.xyz/

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 04:25:06 pm »
+1
How was it, everybody? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

ProfitBirb

• Adventurer
  • med hopeful
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 04:40:53 pm »
Ahhhhhh I'm so relieved that was really good! ACs have always been my strongest section and my essays a little lacking in detail so the sit. context essay topic was a gift for me, had so much I could write about. AC itself also had plenty of features to mention in it, short answer seemed straightforward enough, I'm very happy with how it all went.
Camberwell Grammar class of '19 ^_^ (VCE)
2018: Global Politics [32]
2019: Accounting [34] Chemistry [37] English Language [39] Maths Methods [39] Legal Studies [30]
ATAR: 89.10

hopes and dreams died 12/12/2019 7:09am

Seamus Wong

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:58:55 pm »

AC was okay, I finished the whole booklet and went over to the back page with the essay (the topics were pretty good cos they were so broad). SAQs were very straight forward. I don't even remember the questions cos I went through them so quickly. I hope I didn't miss anything significant in the AC or in the SAQs. Just gotta wait and see.

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 05:04:22 pm »
Unhappy/unsure about section C

What did you guys write for the second topic? Found it difficult to link linguistic quotes to the topic
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Seamus Wong

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »
+1
Unhappy/unsure about section C

What did you guys write for the second topic? Found it difficult to link linguistic quotes to the topic

I wrote about how people use different language in different contexts depending on what is expected, but also on what satisfies their own needs to the greatest degree.

So I talked about:

Paragraph 1:
- Politicians using non-standard lang to connect with their audience (Daniel andrews and Scotty M + the positive and negative public reactions from the public to their language)

Paragraph 2:
- Yassmin Abdel Magied using distinctively Australian lexemes but also codeswitching to Arabic to connect to those two groups + Negative reactions from Australian public to her expression of her religious beliefs  AND Liberal party using obfuscating language (made this up on the spot and it didn't really fit, but it was good enough I reckon and it sorta flowed on from the other example, so I am not too stressed about it)

Paragraph 3:
- Aboriginal English is Australia - Positive and negative attitudes to it

I wrote so much, so hopefully I get a good score for it. I think I'll get within the range of 12-14. 13 and I'll be happy

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 05:19:25 pm »
I wrote about how people use different language in different contexts depending on what is expected, but also on what satisfies their own needs to the greatest degree.

So I talked about:

Paragraph 1:
- Politicians using non-standard lang to connect with their audience (Daniel andrews and Scotty M + the positive and negative public reactions from the public to their language)

Paragraph 2:
- Yassmin Abdel Magied using distinctively Australian lexemes but also codeswitching to Arabic to connect to those two groups + Negative reactions from Australian public to her expression of her religious beliefs  AND Liberal party using obfuscating language (made this up on the spot and it didn't really fit, but it was good enough I reckon and it sorta flowed on from the other example, so I am not too stressed about it)

Paragraph 3:
- Aboriginal English is Australia - Positive and negative attitudes to it

I wrote so much, so hopefully I get a good score for it. I think I'll get within the range of 12-14. 13 and I'll be happy

Yeah like the sound of it

I had a paragraph on discrim Lang and I had things like the St Kevin’s College incident where the fact that it was a group of boys together in a pack would have given the individual boys a sense of anonymity, meaning that the context basically overrides and values/morals they have leading them to use discrim Lang

Felt like a lot of the time the explanations were straying a bit too far away from linguistics

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Seamus Wong

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 05:26:06 pm »
Yeah like the sound of it

I had a paragraph on discrim Lang and I had things like the St Kevin’s College incident where the fact that it was a group of boys together in a pack would have given the individual boys a sense of anonymity, meaning that the context basically overrides and values/morals they have leading them to use discrim Lang

Felt like a lot of the time the explanations were straying a bit too far away from linguistics

fuuuuckckk, that's a really good example

Seamus Wong

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 05:28:54 pm »
How did everyone find the AC text? And how many pages did everyone write?

ProfitBirb

• Adventurer
  • med hopeful
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:34:21 pm »
hmmm I more focused on prioritising one individual aspect of sit context in each paragraph, eg target audience, and I then used clive’s tell shifty he’s dreaming tagline which is inappropriate for a politician and in an election context but effective on his target audience specifically, or how social purpose can make euphemisms obfuscatory (regional processing centre vs detention centre) or face-need-maintaining (friendly fire vs killed by ally)
Camberwell Grammar class of '19 ^_^ (VCE)
2018: Global Politics [32]
2019: Accounting [34] Chemistry [37] English Language [39] Maths Methods [39] Legal Studies [30]
ATAR: 89.10

hopes and dreams died 12/12/2019 7:09am

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 05:42:19 pm »
hmmm I more focused on prioritising one individual aspect of sit context in each paragraph, eg target audience, and I then used clive’s tell shifty he’s dreaming tagline which is inappropriate for a politician and in an election context but effective on his target audience specifically, or how social purpose can make euphemisms obfuscatory (regional processing centre vs detention centre) or face-need-maintaining (friendly fire vs killed by ally)

Yeah I feel like I would have been better off structuring mine like this

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Zappi

• Forum Regular
  • Official ATARNotes Passerer of Food
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 05:46:56 pm »
For the context question I ended up comparing the different factors of context and discussed how each can / cannot influence language use :'( Really stressing now reading other people's responses

AC was easy but I only just just finished the third paragraph in the last five minutes.

Short answers were alright for the most part but the cohesion question threw me off for a few minutes before I recognised anaphoric / cataphoric referencing ;D
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

My website: https://zappi.xyz/

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »
How did everyone find the AC text? And how many pages did everyone write?

Sooo much to write about, especially discourse features/strategies

A bit unsure About purpose paragraph - didn’t really know how to phrase the purpose to discuss diet soft drinks (obviously the more pertinent purpose was to entertain tho)

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40