Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:32:14 am

Author Topic: Reimagined Worlds Related Text  (Read 10324 times)  Share 

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Reimagined Worlds Related Text
« on: July 06, 2020, 07:11:35 pm »
Hey guys, what are some recommended texts for reimagined worlds? The texts we are studying are Tracy K. Smith's Life on Mars, Ursula K. Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness and Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Reimagined Worlds Related Text
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:26:56 pm »
+3
Hey guys, what are some recommended texts for reimagined worlds? The texts we are studying are Tracy K. Smith's Life on Mars, Ursula K. Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness and Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth.

Hey, BakerDad12!

I didn't do this elective so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt but here are some recommendations based on how themes and rubric elements overlap across texts.

Novels and Short Stories
Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude
Tea Obreht's Inland
Laura Esquivel's Like Water for Chocolate
Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore
Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery
Angela Carter’s The Bloody Chamber

Poetry
Alberto Rios’ When There Were Ghosts

Films
Studio Ghibli films are fantastic for this elective, especially since they thrive on magic realism as a basis for narratives. I would highly recommend Hayao Miyazaki’s Howl’s Moving Castle.
Liev Schreiber's Everything is Illuminated

Even if you don't want to pursue any of these for your exams, I'd recommend checking some of them out anyway as applied analysis practice  :D Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:32:26 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 09:35:13 am »
Hey, thanks so much for the response! I'll be sure to check some of them out! With the short stories you've recommended like The Bloody Chamber, do you mean the entire collection or that short story itself?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 12:13:25 pm »
Hey, thanks so much for the response! I'll be sure to check some of them out! With the short stories you've recommended like The Bloody Chamber, do you mean the entire collection or that short story itself?

Hey again!

Good question! I was referring to the title short story (so The Bloody Chamber itself) but would also recommend reading the full collection if you have time  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 04:41:45 pm »
+2
Hey, thanks for the response! All of your responses on basically all of my questions in my last few posts have been really helpful, so thank you for always responding to these questions quickly and with great information! :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 05:11:25 pm »
Hey, thanks for the response! All of your responses on basically all of my questions in my last few posts have been really helpful, so thank you for always responding to these questions quickly and with great information! :)

You're very welcome! All the best with your Trials study  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:53:21 pm »
Hey, sorry, another two questions. Our last text, Pan's Labyrinth, is so complex in it's themes, characters, etc. it's hard to articulate those ideas into a standard set of notes, which for me would be a character analysis, theme analysis, some readings, etc.

Would you recommend spending time and trying to articulate the themes/characters etc.  or just making a quotes/effect table and know the text really well? I'm leaning towards the latter because it seems much easier with the limited time we have left before trials, but do you think the former is more useful?

Also, how many related texts do you recommend knowing?
Thanks in advance!  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:13:55 pm by BakerDad12 »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 10:16:52 pm »
+1
Hey, sorry, another two questions. Our last text, Pan's Labyrinth, is so complex in it's themes, characters, etc. it's hard to articulate those ideas into a standard set of notes, which for me would be a character analysis, theme analysis, some readings, etc.

Would you recommend spending time and trying to articulate the themes/characters etc.  or just making a quotes/effect table and know the text really well? I'm leaning towards the latter because it seems much easier with the limited time we have left before trials, but do you think the former is more useful?

Also, how many related texts do you recommend knowing?
Thanks in advance!  :) :)

Hey again!

Very delayed response but here it is! If you think that having a quotes/effects table would be more beneficial for you, then do that! There's no best way to study for English so if you've identified something that works well for you, I would go with it  :) I'd still recommend having your paragraphs structured by themes though so maybe you can think about grouping your quotes under those key ideas. I'd recommend tuning into Niamh's English Extension 1 Lecture this week if you want a more in-depth explanation  ;D

And you should have two related texts ready to use in your essay for the Trials and HSC exams. You might also want to have a third one (something small like a photograph or a short poem) in the event that it may be more suitable for the question you get. Two is a must though  :D Keep the questions coming if you're still stuck on anything but hope this helps :D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:24:45 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

olivier.beltran-woodward

• Fresh Poster
  • chil
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 06:43:21 pm »
Hey, BakerDad12!

I didn't do this elective so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt but here are some recommendations based on how themes and rubric elements overlap across texts.

Novels and Short Stories
Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude
Tea Obreht's Inland
Laura Esquivel's Like Water for Chocolate
Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore
Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery
Angela Carter’s The Bloody Chamber

Poetry
Alberto Rios’ When There Were Ghosts

Films
Studio Ghibli films are fantastic for this elective, especially since they thrive on magic realism as a basis for narratives. I would highly recommend Hayao Miyazaki’s Howl’s Moving Castle.
Liev Schreiber's Everything is Illuminated

Even if you don't want to pursue any of these for your exams, I'd recommend checking some of them out anyway as applied analysis practice  :D Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D

Just wondering if you have any other texts you could recommend?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa