Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:44:57 am

Author Topic: Literary Worlds - Critical Response  (Read 3973 times)  Share 

Muir.mclennan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Literary Worlds - Critical Response
« on: October 26, 2019, 02:08:58 pm »
+3
Hey so I was just wondering if there is an ideal structure or way to go about writing a critical response to an unseen stimulus for the Literary Worlds section? I feel like this component is a bit unclear and honestly really confuses me. So any help on how to decipher these texts, what I should be looking for, and how to write a response in this form would be really helpful.

Thanks so much.

distorm

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Adventurer
  • Sleepy.
  • Respect: +18
Re: Literary Worlds - Critical Response
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:30:51 pm »
+5
Heyy fellow English Extension Student here united in our suffering ;D

So the potential unseen critical response question in Lit. Worlds, in some way shape or, form, the question will inevitably fall into the themes of 'how does this text invite audiences to a literary world' or 'how does this text portray a literary world'..

How I plan on answering this question (if it potentially pops up which I'm begging no plez), is that I'd structure it based on the different 'elements' of what constitutes to a Literary world. My teacher gave us the following list as a guide:

Why do artists create fictional worlds? Some answers may include:
  • It’s personal – you escape to other places and develop (personal growth model)
    It broadens your experience and knowledge (cultural literacy)
    It immerses you in the beauty of language (cultural heritage model)
     It can be a profound experience of human meaning/the effectiveness of literature (cultural heritage model)
     It helps you explore human values – morality and ethics from a distance – writers can present ideas, values, views that can be tried on   and decided upon (liberal humanist values)

I tried my hand at planning a response for the stimulus on the sample paper, and it's a structure that seems to work for me :)  With this structure, I'd analyse the unseen and try to pinpoint the key ideas, and link them to respective language forms and feature, and these would form my body paragraphs. I also prepped a general thesis statement for Literary Worlds just to hopefully make things easier in the exam. Unseen criticals will always be near-identical to the rubric, so don't forget to use alot of the rubric terminology or fancy as 'Literary-World's-esque' words like mimesis  ;D

Good luck!!
2019 HSC

English Advanced [94]
English Extension 1 [48]
Modern History [91]
History Extension [48]
Geography [90]
Economics [91]
2U Maths [95]

ATAR: 98.65

I offer tutoring for the above subjects in the Parramatta, Blacktown and Penrith Area of Sydney:
https://highschooltutors.com.au/tutor/23950