Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:11:03 am

Author Topic: LAT test  (Read 14846 times)  Share 

SRH923

Re: LAT test
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 08:49:33 pm »
Is 95 atar the lowest UNSW accepts because ive heard people who get 94 and 93 atars get accepted at times?

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 07:25:20 pm »
Wonder if someone doing Standard English like me can still do it 😶😶😶... (Unfortunately I am far too late to change back and I am already pressed with time for other subjects)... Well, well, well...  Last year the highest atar for standard is 99.40 and that is I always hear negative things about taking standard english which contrasts the statement of not worrying about scaling...

I want to take a double with advanced science or maths....  Anyone know anything about this?
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 08:01:24 pm »
Wonder if someone doing Standard English like me can still do it 😶😶😶... (Unfortunately I am far too late to change back and I am already pressed with time for other subjects)... Well, well, well...  Last year the highest atar for standard is 99.40 and that is I always hear negative things about taking standard english which contrasts the statement of not worrying about scaling...

I want to take a double with advanced science or maths....  Anyone know anything about this?

Standard versus Advanced is an interesting one, and the one choice where I say something different to "Do what you enjoy." For two subjects with identical workload, yeah, Advanced does perform much better when you start scaling marks. It's still the same, "Don't worry about scaling," but from a purely efficiency based standpoint Advanced students do get more "bang for their buck."

But that's irrelevant for you, so I'll say:

- That maximum ATAR of 99.40 would easily get you into Law at UNSW, as long as you went decently on the LAT. People get into law with lower ATAR scores than that.
- The LAT is considered in addition to your ATAR. I don't think UNSW publishes the details but a strong performance in the LAT offsets a relatively lower ATAR score.
- Statistically, your chances of getting a Band 6 in Standard are low. That doesn't mean you won't -  Push hard and you'll get results, I've seen it done many times :) a lot of the bad stats are skewed because Standard has a much larger cohort and a lot of the strong English students go to Advanced, so you'd expect less Band 6's as a percentage. Many stronger students are in Advanced, and the course is still much larger.
- Your goal course is well within your reach - Doing Standard doesn't exclude you at all :)