Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:46:52 pm

Author Topic: Mathematics Extension 1: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 8060 times)

Blissisignorance

• Trailblazer
Re: Mathematics Extension 1: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 06:42:48 pm »
The probability question in Q14 was a hypergeomteric probability, so I got it quickly thanks to RuiAce.
MCQ was decent and all the way up till Q14 was fine, except for that inverse where I just completely forgot about that quadratic formula.
Half of 14 was fine, until that sum. I kinda got it, but I needed 2 or more steps to get that answer.
In the end, I lost time, and I'll probs get 64+ raw.
But definitely easier than expected

gershadev

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 10:39:30 pm »
Do you guys reckon it was a hard exam? I found it ok, but I made many errors, hoping I can still scape a band 6. What is the E4 cutoff usually for Ext 1?

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »
its plane geometry and circle for 14a) and 14c)then pseudo-circle geo which is actually plane geo and then use those properties to prove a GP expression for the limiting sum of quadrants and then prove an inequality which felt like a harder 3U question for a 4U paper...
for some reason the guys making the papers are so obsessed with geometry and that hit my soft spot so hard since i barely practice for plane geometry T_T... and what the fuck are they doing putting 2U logs in the paper (although it is easy)... I smashed projectiles easy but... the time I spend perfecting exponential growth and decay, shm, and a couple of otherz just goes in vain T_T... I wonder how can I get HD in uni maths with my lvl right now??? my E4 T_T...
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 10:57:45 pm »
Do you guys reckon it was a hard exam? I found it ok, but I made many errors, hoping I can still scape a band 6. What is the E4 cutoff usually for Ext 1?

In 2017, a 76% raw mark was alligned to 90, so a band 6. This year was harder than last year, I would strongly argue, so probably around 74% being a band 6. But I could be wrong, I am just using info from http://rawmarks.info/wiki/Mathematics_Extension_1

Jimmy.arfanis

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 11:06:02 pm »
Q11 integrate by substitution answer -4/3  ?

Ralopsi

• Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 11:09:34 pm »
I got -8/3

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 11:10:41 pm »

Fairly certain I got -8/3. After substituting both of the values, you get -4/3 -4/3, leading to -8/3. Again I could be wrong, but if I am right, you would only lose 1 mark as you likely only messed up your final calculation, and would get the 2 marks for the rest of the working out

phunky

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 11:17:10 pm »
its plane geometry and circle for 14a) and 14c)then pseudo-circle geo which is actually plane geo and then use those properties to prove a GP expression for the limiting sum of quadrants and then prove an inequality which felt like a harder 3U question for a 4U paper...
for some reason the guys making the papers are so obsessed with geometry and that hit my soft spot so hard since i barely practice for plane geometry T_T... and what the fuck are they doing putting 2U logs in the paper (although it is easy)... I smashed projectiles easy but... the time I spend perfecting exponential growth and decay, shm, and a couple of otherz just goes in vain T_T... I wonder how can I get HD in uni maths with my lvl right now??? my E4 T_T...

Loool same tho, wasn't expecting them to put geometry in the last question of BOTH 4u and 3u... saw the quadrilateral thing with the angles during reading time and thought "frick not again -_-"

Jimmy.arfanis

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 11:25:07 pm »
Fairly certain I got -8/3. After substituting both of the values, you get -4/3 -4/3, leading to -8/3. Again I could be wrong, but if I am right, you would only lose 1 mark as you likely only messed up your final calculation, and would get the 2 marks for the rest of the working out

.. Just realised i subbed in 2 instead of 4

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 11:27:27 pm »
.. Just realised i subbed in 2 instead of 4

Haha, you'll be good.

Jimmy.arfanis

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 11:30:39 pm »
Q8 B?

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 10:43:14 am »
Q8 B?

Was Question 8 the values of a,b ,c and d one?? Let me know what the question was and I can share what I answered.

For the values of ABCD one, I put D, where D was definitely -1, and subbing in the other zeroes meant that A = -3. The only answer with those two values was D.

Ralopsi

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 07:09:22 pm »
Hi, absolutely bombed MX1 test idk wtf happened. Got like 2 marks in q14 and accidentally missed an easy question in questioon 11 coz didnt see it. I', probs expecting 68-70% - for this test, would that scale to atleast 85? maybe 87?
Hey, you arent the only one whose disappointed with how they went I absolutely bombed it and I was aiming for quite high E4. I think 70% may be closer to 89, I feel the exam was difficult compared to some of the previous exams. What were you aiming for before this exam?

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 07:25:09 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it now. It's over and done with. It's was a pretty hard test across the board and a lot of people struggled, myself especially. The key is to look at the positives. One, it's another exam done, and one more towards finishing the HSC. Two, as it was a hard test a lot of people did struggle, so collectively across the state our marks will be scaled up. Good luck with the rest of your exams!!
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics