Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:23:24 am

Author Topic: Aural Analysis Club-Week 1 2018  (Read 3960 times)  Share 

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Aural Analysis Club-Week 1 2018
« on: August 18, 2018, 07:01:10 pm »
+6
WEEK 1 2018!!

The excerpt recording is available here!!

Question (6 Marks)

An Excerpt from The Marriage of Figaro (Overture) by Mozart will be played four times, for you to answer the question.

First playing- Short pause
Second playing- 30 second pause
Third playing- 1 minute pause
Fourth playing-2 minute pause

Describe the ways pitch and dynamics/expressive techniques are manipulated in the piece.

Post any responses you have below! It could be a response under exam conditions or dot points which you’d include in an answer -whatever you think might be useful. Feel free to give feedback to other people, build on each other’s answers, and Jamon and I will help give feedback as well! :D

Huge thanks to Jamon for helping me put this together and answering all my questions!! :)

Looking forward to see what everyone comes up with!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
Re: Aural Analysis Club-Week 1 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:09:54 pm »
hello! will be attempting this tonight, what an awesome idea, totally need practice
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
Re: Aural Analysis Club-Week 1 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 09:24:40 pm »
WEEK 1 2018!!

The excerpt recording is available here!!

Question (6 Marks)

An Excerpt from The Marriage of Figaro (Overture) by Mozart will be played four times, for you to answer the question.

First playing- Short pause
Second playing- 30 second pause
Third playing- 1 minute pause
Fourth playing-2 minute pause

Describe the ways pitch and dynamics/expressive techniques are manipulated in the piece.

Post any responses you have below! It could be a response under exam conditions or dot points which you’d include in an answer -whatever you think might be useful. Feel free to give feedback to other people, build on each other’s answers, and Jamon and I will help give feedback as well! :D

Huge thanks to Jamon for helping me put this together and answering all my questions!! :)

Looking forward to see what everyone comes up with!  ;D

hey hey hey
I had a go but gosh I kinda found this one challenging cos I had trouble structuring the exerpt there was also just so much to talk about, but heres the points I got in exam conditions ;; what a banger piece, thanks for recording the exerpt times etc made it very easy to do this !!!

A:
- in the beginning, low register strings articulate fast paced successive notes in steps in a p dynamic
- Following this, a cresc. begins rising to around mf before a sfz by the upper strings which maintain the higher register and repeat the previously heard sucessive notes in a ff dynamic
- after this, new melodic material is introduced with a woodwind; a clarinet oboe, cor anglis-like aerophone produces a piercing loud high register swelling phrase in long sustained notes above the familiar repeated drone like lower string sucessive note passage which occurs contrastingly in pp (motif?)

B
- strings strong articulation with accents on each of the 4/4 beats contrasts to the previous section and adds to melodic interest as each accent is supported by a sudden rise in dynamic ??

C
- In the middle of the section, a call in mf by a medium registered aerophone, clarinet? at the end of a phrase is responded to by a higher register aerophone? oboe? which repeats the same material only in p creating musical interest

another section (no notes made)  D

another section (i didn't have a proper observation, I had like chicken scratch ) E
- A waterfall? faster articulation of notes in strings playing quavers/semi quavers? accenting on the 1,2,3,4 is maintained, repetition from before? (not the +)
- sudden rising and falling of wavy melodic contour (drew a diagram)

C (finale/ return?)

- Towards the beginning, the violin mimics a familiar phrase of the aerophone's and plays held long and sustained notes which decresc at the same time as a descending melodic phrase
- This is accompanied by the lower strings which harmonises by playing the motif of powerful? sucessive notes heard in the beginning
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:26:49 pm by Fluffysama_ »
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts