Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:58:54 am

Author Topic: How does one get better at verbal reasoning?  (Read 2215 times)  Share 

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How does one get better at verbal reasoning?
« on: January 10, 2020, 03:40:43 pm »
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at verbal reasoning, is there any particular books that i should be reading that will help?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: How does one get better at verbal reasoning?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:49:45 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at verbal reasoning, is there any particular books that i should be reading that will help?
I am not too famliar with the selective school test so can only speak to verbal reasoning in general.

These sorts of things try to test you on your overall reasoning skills that you have developed over your lifetime which makes it quite difficult to improve quickly in a short space of time (still possible though). A few ways I believe one can improve is practice (obviously) of the questions you expect to see but also read widely in different genres to expand your vocabulary and also understanding of what you read. With reading it becomes difficult as this is something you need to have done over yoru lifetime or at least a few years rather than a week or two.

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 08:18:29 am »
Thanks heaps for the advice, i have got 5 months till the exam , so i'll definitely be reading more books!

I am not too famliar with the selective school test so can only speak to verbal reasoning in general.

These sorts of things try to test you on your overall reasoning skills that you have developed over your lifetime which makes it quite difficult to improve quickly in a short space of time (still possible though). A few ways I believe one can improve is practice (obviously) of the questions you expect to see but also read widely in different genres to expand your vocabulary and also understanding of what you read. With reading it becomes difficult as this is something you need to have done over yoru lifetime or at least a few years rather than a week or two.

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 02:30:53 pm »
+1
You can improve verbal reasoning by learning proverbs such as blood is thicker then water and by learning prefixes and suffixes

meher.sultan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 03:14:24 am »
+1
hey rohan, i'm applying this year as well! best of luck!! :)

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 11:24:07 am »
Hey, that's awesome :)! Best of luck to you too!

hey rohan, i'm applying this year as well! best of luck!! :)

rakshanaraj06

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 03:39:12 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

okay so basically you have to familiarise yourself with guessing the meaning of words based on the context it is used in and the origin. what i would suggest you to do is keep reading books but when you come across a word you do not know, then jot it down in a notebook along with the meaning, example sentence, synonym, antonym and keep reviewing these words everyday. Also I recommend doing the Henderson's Verbal Reasoning workshop and the materials they give you are very helpful

gasha1920

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 03:34:59 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Learning prefixes and suffixes and their meaning can really help u identify words u don't know that appear on the test. If you learn all the meanings of the prefixes and suffixes you can pretty much understand 80% of the words in the English language with no trouble.

Rose34

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 01:42:24 am »
+1
Hey guys,

you can try vocabulary.com to improve your knowledge on meanings!