Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:34:38 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231924 times)

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4560 on: October 17, 2019, 04:11:25 pm »
How exactly do I answer a "to what extent" do i mention that the text successfully explores...
like what do i have to say to show I how much i agree with the statement?
also how do i show that i disagree with it? is it safe to disagree with the statement they give us?

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #4561 on: October 17, 2019, 05:11:42 pm »
+2
How exactly do I answer a "to what extent" do i mention that the text successfully explores...
like what do i have to say to show I how much i agree with the statement?
also how do i show that i disagree with it? is it safe to disagree with the statement they give us?

Use modality to show your judgement, e.g. if you completely agree, use words like "overwhelmingly" or "significant" etc. If you partially agree, consider words of lower modality - e.g. "moderate", "partial".
You can basically take any stance you want, as long as it's justified well. While oftentimes it is easier to agree, if you have a strong personal opinion that goes against the question, then by all means go for it. In this case you'd use words like "invalid", "inaccurate", etc.
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

sophiabunt1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4562 on: October 17, 2019, 05:42:33 pm »
I am a bit confused about how to answer this textual conversations question, any help would be very appreciated!
The house lights dim. The audience quiets.
ON THE BIG FLATSCREEN: Jagged yellow lettering on black: THE TEMPEST By William Shakespeare
Margaret atwood, Hag-Seed

Explain the centrality of the motif of performance in the textual conversation between
Shakespeare’s The Tempest and Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Seed.
In your response, refer to the quotation and your understanding of the prescribed texts.

elania2171

• Adventurer
« Reply #4563 on: October 17, 2019, 07:44:30 pm »
+1
I am a bit confused about how to answer this textual conversations question, any help would be very appreciated!
The house lights dim. The audience quiets.
ON THE BIG FLATSCREEN: Jagged yellow lettering on black: THE TEMPEST By William Shakespeare
Margaret atwood, Hag-Seed

Explain the centrality of the motif of performance in the textual conversation between
Shakespeare’s The Tempest and Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Seed.
In your response, refer to the quotation and your understanding of the prescribed texts.

English has become a subject where you need to bend your arguments in order to fit the question.... When I did this practice question last week, I wrote about the theme of reconciliation and how this notion is enhanced through performance -- ie. The theatre empowers Felix to reconcile just like jacobean values and stage directions allow for Prospero to reconcile with his illusions and enemies..

zkaislsi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4564 on: January 20, 2020, 08:36:43 pm »
Hey, just wondering if anyone could help give some pointers for a question I'm stuck on for 'The Crucible' in the common module.
"How was your understanding of the challenges of the human experience been shaped by the author's use of narrative voice?"
I understand that the tragedy is written in third person, omniscient POV.
Many thanks in advanced

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4565 on: January 21, 2020, 04:45:59 pm »
+2
Hey, just wondering if anyone could help give some pointers for a question I'm stuck on for 'The Crucible' in the common module.
"How was your understanding of the challenges of the human experience been shaped by the author's use of narrative voice?"
I understand that the tragedy is written in third person, omniscient POV.
Many thanks in advanced

Hey, zkaislsi!

Let's break this question down! I usually look for three components in the question which are concept, prescribed focus and audience impact. The concept refers to what part/s of the rubric have been included; in this case, we have "challenges" in the human experience. We now look for the prescribed focus to guide our arguments; a technique has been specified in this question which is "narrative voice." Narrative voice isn't just what particular POV the text is written in. It's also how language has been manipulated to express ideas and agendas. Your essay would need to explore how Miller "speaks" through his characters and uses storytelling to generate a certain narrative about what it means to be human (i.e facing, acknowledging and overcoming challenges). The last thing you need to address is the audience impact which is the "your understanding" part of the question. Your response should essentially argue that through these challenges represented in the text, you have gained insight of some kind or perhaps have had your previous beliefs renewed. Some themes you could look at include the role of religion, gender roles or misjudgement/human error. Does that clarify the question's demands a little more?

Another small tip I have is to just make sure you refer to Miller as the playwright and not the author.  This is the correct terminology to use since you're studying a play  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:45:34 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

milie10

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4566 on: January 29, 2020, 07:34:16 pm »
Hi!
I'm currently doing 1984 as my english advanced text, and I'm in the process of writing my first essay on it!

I'm a bit stuck on my third body paragraph- my teacher told us that it should be on 'The implications beyond the individual (relationships/truth/memory/power)', but I'm not sure how to do this without it clashing with my first 2 arguments.

My first argument is on the collective experience and I concentrated on how psychological fear allows the Government to gain control and thus manipulate the past (I feel like this already clashes with truth/memory/power). My second argument is about the individual and I wrote about how Winston's hope encourages him to rebel against the Government despite its futility.

Any advice on how I could structure my 3rd paragraph to make a different argument to my other two? I was thinking about talking about Winston's relationship with Julia and how it symbolises their rebellion.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:36:04 pm by milie10 »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4567 on: January 29, 2020, 08:51:26 pm »
+2
Hi!
I'm currently doing 1984 as my english advanced text, and I'm in the process of writing my first essay on it!

I'm a bit stuck on my third body paragraph- my teacher told us that it should be on 'The implications beyond the individual (relationships/truth/memory/power)', but I'm not sure how to do this without it clashing with my first 2 arguments.

My first argument is on the collective experience and I concentrated on how psychological fear allows the Government to gain control and thus manipulate the past (I feel like this already clashes with truth/memory/power). My second argument is about the individual and I wrote about how Winston's hope encourages him to rebel against the Government despite its futility.

Any advice on how I could structure my 3rd paragraph to make a different argument to my other two? I was thinking about talking about Winston's relationship with Julia and how it symbolises their rebellion.

Thanks!!

Hey, milie10!

I think looking at Winston's relationship with Julia as a reflection of the rebellion is a great way to contrast your final argument from the others. You can look at how examining their relationship contributes to Winston's individual motivations against the Party, but also at how their behaviour represents a collective revolt against the established order in the society. It'd be worth noting that because their relationship is unsuccessful, the novel is educating audiences of the dangers of living in a world absent of love and compassion which can tie in nicely with the "implications beyond the individual" point your teacher is aiming for you to explore. This argument can bring forth the idea that having passion, in the form of desire and freedom, is integral to the human experience and therefore should be embraced to prevent our own world becoming a place devoid of humanity. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:04:12 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

milie10

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4568 on: January 29, 2020, 10:18:48 pm »
Hey, milie10!

I think looking at Winston's relationship with Julia as a reflection of the rebellion is a great way to contrast your final argument from the others. You can look at how examining their relationship contributes to Winston's individual motivations against the Party, but also at how their behaviour represents a collective revolt against the established order in the society. I'd be worth noting that because their relationship is unsuccessful, the novel is educating audiences of the dangers of living in a world absent of love and compassion which can tie in nicely with the "implications beyond the individual" point your teacher is aiming for you to explore. This argument can bring forth the idea that having passion, in the form of desire and freedom, is integral to the human experience and therefore should be embraced to prevent our own world becoming a place devoid of humanity. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

thanks so much!!

one more question- does anyone know of any historical events that could be used as Orwell's context for this paragraph?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4569 on: January 29, 2020, 11:10:43 pm »
+2
thanks so much!!

one more question- does anyone know of any historical events that could be used as Orwell's context for this paragraph?

Hey again!

I'd actually advise against directly linking any historical events if you were thinking of pursuing this idea for your essay paragraph and instead to just look at it from a dystopian lens. There are plenty of historical events that had restrictions placed on who you could love and marry but while context is important, it's also worth considering how the novel transcends its immediate contextual boundaries and presents a warning that rings true in our current day. You can say that the novel is serving a speculative role and is aiming to represent a daunting, bleak future in hopes of cautioning audiences of what could happen in their own world should desensitisation happen.

That being said, I also didn't study 1984 myself so if there is anyone else with insight on how this idea might be supported with contextual details, I'd be super intrigued to find out! Let me know if that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

zkaislsi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4570 on: January 30, 2020, 02:14:35 pm »
Hi again, just wondering if I could get some pointers for another question about 'The Crucible'.

'Texts provide profound insights into the human experience of connection'
To what extent is the above statement reflected within The Crucible and one related text.

For my related text I was thinking of looking at 'Caged Bird' Maya Angelou. I was also thinking of going with Abigail and her power in the court and use of manipulation but not sure how to link it. Any help would be great :)

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #4571 on: February 01, 2020, 07:16:33 pm »
Hello, for my mod A im doing Richard III and Looking for Richard, sadly I can't seem to find any sites online ( free ) that i'm able to stream looking for richard on, any tips and if you know where to watch for free, please link or let me know
Thank you very very much
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4572 on: February 02, 2020, 08:06:25 am »
+1
Hi again, just wondering if I could get some pointers for another question about 'The Crucible'.

'Texts provide profound insights into the human experience of connection'
To what extent is the above statement reflected within The Crucible and one related text.

For my related text I was thinking of looking at 'Caged Bird' Maya Angelou. I was also thinking of going with Abigail and her power in the court and use of manipulation but not sure how to link it. Any help would be great :)

Hey, zkaislsi!

Looks like you've got a great question going there  :D I think your related text would work nicely with The Crucible. You could twist the question a little and instead look at how the texts explore the absence of connection and meaningful human relationships which provide audiences with profound insights into the importance of having them.  Common thematic links between the two texts that you could dive into include prejudice, marginalisation, oppression and struggle. If you wanted to look at power and manipulation, you could present yourself an interesting point of comparison between the texts; Abigail weaponises manipulation in order to gain and maintain power, whereas the persona in Caged Bird seems to be facing the challenges that exist without it instead. Either way, both look at how a lack of connection can generate deeply personal motivations to break free. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Hello, for my mod A im doing Richard III and Looking for Richard, sadly I can't seem to find any sites online ( free ) that i'm able to stream looking for richard on, any tips and if you know where to watch for free, please link or let me know
Thank you very very much

Hey, Fluffysama_!

Great to hear that you're planning to look at the texts in advance! I can't seem to find any sites in particular that you can stream it for free on which is quite unfortunate. Perhaps someone else might know if they've managed to source it from somewhere. You could also ask your teacher where they got their copy from and get yourself one from there too. Hope that helps and feel free to ask more questions about Mod A if they pop up!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:49:52 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

tafarax

• Adventurer
« Reply #4573 on: February 05, 2020, 09:25:29 pm »
Hello, was just wondering if I could get feedback for a paragraph from my advanced text. Am not sure if I should just post it here or if there is a specific place to post the paper on? 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4574 on: February 05, 2020, 11:20:07 pm »
+1
Hello, was just wondering if I could get feedback for a paragraph from my advanced text. Am not sure if I should just post it here or if there is a specific place to post the paper on?

Hey, tafarax!

You can post your work for marking, whether it be a paragraph or an essay, for marking in the HSC Marking and Feedback thread  :D Meanwhile, this thread is designed for all your Advanced English questions and queries so if you have ever any, ask away :) Hope this helps and a warm welcome to the forums!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-