Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:01:45 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1232033 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1755 on: April 24, 2017, 04:52:30 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for keeping up to date on class notes? Is it more efficient to type or write? My teacher goes so fast!  ;D

Hey Chloe!!

- Do your notes progressively, tidying them up and adding to them as you go not just in the big breaks. Try and allocate an hour or two every weekend just to doing your notes. It sucks as you do it (a little), but you will thank yourself near exams while everyone else is rushing to put their notes together! Remember you have a huge library of FREE notes you can build on top of :)
- Personal preference! Scientifically, you remember more if you handwrite. That said, I was a huge neatness fanatic so I always typed all of mine - You could even do a mix of both! Right now for uni I type detailed notes then handwrite palm cards with the key details :) :)
- Structure everything around your textual evidence; quotes, techniques and structural elements. These will be the key thing you'll need to remember so they should form the key part of your study notes ;D

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #1756 on: April 24, 2017, 11:12:40 pm »
Hello again!  ;D

Just another question regarding creative writing. When using the stimulus, is it best to ensure that you make a link to it at the beginning of your creative? Or doesn't it really matter? As long as it is a central element, right?

Thanks  :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1757 on: April 24, 2017, 11:14:26 pm »
+1
Hello again!  ;D

Just another question regarding creative writing. When using the stimulus, is it best to ensure that you make a link to it at the beginning of your creative? Or doesn't it really matter? As long as it is a central element, right?

Thanks  :)

Hey! It depends on how you are asked to use it - But usually, yes! ;D the exception would be if they said, "Use this as the first sentence of your creative piece." Obviously ;)

But yes, the way and timing of how the stimulus is incorporated is completely up to you, as long as it is there and there to an adequate degree ;D

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #1758 on: April 24, 2017, 11:45:47 pm »
Hey! It depends on how you are asked to use it - But usually, yes! ;D the exception would be if they said, "Use this as the first sentence of your creative piece." Obviously ;)

But yes, the way and timing of how the stimulus is incorporated is completely up to you, as long as it is there and there to an adequate degree ;D
Thanks for the advice :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

mary123987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #1759 on: April 25, 2017, 12:49:27 pm »
Hey guys sorry to bother you but i would really appreciate it if someone could let me know what technique/s is/are being used in this quote ;
“period bedrooms swathed in rose and lavender silk and vivid with new floors” and “a toilet set of pure dull gold”
(I need this as soon as possible)
Thanks
Mary
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1760 on: April 25, 2017, 03:04:59 pm »
Hey guys sorry to bother you but i would really appreciate it if someone could let me know what technique/s is/are being used in this quote ;
“period bedrooms swathed in rose and lavender silk and vivid with new floors” and “a toilet set of pure dull gold”
(I need this as soon as possible)
Thanks
Mary

Never a bother Mary, welcome to the forums! ;D That first one is heavily sibilant with all those 's' sounds in the first phrase, 'swathed' and 'vivid' are quite elaborate and fanciful word choices :) "dull gold" is sort of an oxymoron? You normally associate gold with being shiny, so it being dull is definitely a play on words that captures attention :)

mary123987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #1761 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:53 pm »
+1
Never a bother Mary, welcome to the forums! ;D That first one is heavily sibilant with all those 's' sounds in the first phrase, 'swathed' and 'vivid' are quite elaborate and fanciful word choices :) "dull gold" is sort of an oxymoron? You normally associate gold with being shiny, so it being dull is definitely a play on words that captures attention :)

Thanks alot much appreciated :)
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1762 on: April 25, 2017, 07:45:12 pm »
+1
Hey Chloe!!

- Do your notes progressively, tidying them up and adding to them as you go not just in the big breaks. Try and allocate an hour or two every weekend just to doing your notes. It sucks as you do it (a little), but you will thank yourself near exams while everyone else is rushing to put their notes together! Remember you have a huge library of FREE notes you can build on top of :)
- Personal preference! Scientifically, you remember more if you handwrite. That said, I was a huge neatness fanatic so I always typed all of mine - You could even do a mix of both! Right now for uni I type detailed notes then handwrite palm cards with the key details :) :)
- Structure everything around your textual evidence; quotes, techniques and structural elements. These will be the key thing you'll need to remember so they should form the key part of your study notes ;D

Awesome feedback! I'll be sure to take all of these suggestions into consideration. Thank you! ;D
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

selinayinz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1763 on: April 27, 2017, 04:29:57 pm »
Hi everyone!
In regards to Advanced English, would getting a lower mark in ext1. Eng (e.g. 60-70 percent) effect your adv and other subjects?

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #1764 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:14 pm »
+1
Hi everyone!
In regards to Advanced English, would getting a lower mark in ext1. Eng (e.g. 60-70 percent) effect your adv and other subjects?

All your subjects are independent of one another when you're concerned with results so you won't need to worry about a bad mark in one subject affecting a completely unrelated one (it's like worrying about how a bad modern mark will bring down your physics one, it won't). In terms of having your ATAR calculated, only your two best units of English will be taken into account (or if extension 1 is in your top 10 best units it will also be counted). This means that if you do badly in 3u and are sitting on 11+ units then it might not even end up counting towards your ATAR. In hindsight, one bad mark in one assessment in 2 units out of 10 isn't likely to bring down your ATAR at the end of the day (if that subject even ends up counting.)

Hopefully this helped, I think the most important thing is to try your best and let NESA do your ATAR calculations for you :)

selinayinz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1765 on: April 27, 2017, 05:23:13 pm »
Hi everyone
I am pretty scared about the HSC because my most recent exam essay got 17/20 (which I was already unhappy with) was remarked by my tutor (a hsc eng marker) who said that he wouldnt have given it 17, and that it was resting in the 14/15 mark. This made me question whether my own teacher was correct or not in assessing my work, and I was not sure how I could improve it.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1766 on: April 27, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »
Hi everyone
I am pretty scared about the HSC because my most recent exam essay got 17/20 (which I was already unhappy with) was remarked by my tutor (a hsc eng marker) who said that he wouldnt have given it 17, and that it was resting in the 14/15 mark. This made me question whether my own teacher was correct or not in assessing my work, and I was not sure how I could improve it.

Hey Selina! So in terms of whether your teacher is 'correct,' I'd say they are. And your tutor is probably correct too. What you should take from that is, "Yeah, it is probably sitting at about a 15-17 (so maybe a 16?) out of 20." More beneficially, you are sitting in the High Band 5 range - Which is a great point to be at at this stage of the year btw! ;D

There will always be a little difference in how different individuals mark your essay. In the HSC exam environment, the markers are very "tightly controlled," well guided by senior markers, and checked regularly for fairness. So don't worry - Your exam mark by the end is definitely going to be fair, and for now, a little ambiguity in the mark is totally normal. It would be impossible for two people to give the same mark for an essay every single time. They are close and that is what counts ;D

I can see that you are posting your work and asking questions, that is the absolute best way to improve! I am sure that if you keep motivated, you will absolutely be able to push those essay marks into the high range ;D

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1767 on: April 27, 2017, 10:37:13 pm »
Hey! I'm doing Module C with People and Politics as the elective, and I had a question about my related text. Would Lincoln (the film) be sufficient for it or should I look for something else? My other option is Animal Farm but I feel as if that's really overused grrr. Thanks!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1768 on: April 27, 2017, 10:46:05 pm »
+1
Hey! I'm doing Module C with People and Politics as the elective, and I had a question about my related text. Would Lincoln (the film) be sufficient for it or should I look for something else? My other option is Animal Farm but I feel as if that's really overused grrr. Thanks!
heya! What is your prescribed text? Mine was Wag the Dog and I studied Candide by Voltaire and the Evil Empire Speech by Ronald Reagan :) I haven't watched all of Lincoln, but I'd assume that would work as well, as from what I know of the film it deals with a lot of the key issues. I wanted to do animal farm last year too, but my teacher suggested not to use it for that very reason. She also said that since a lot of schools teach animal farm in junior school some don't look upon it too favourably as a related in year 12 - however in the long run it all comes down to your analysis, and if that is still really strong then (imo) you're unlikely to be brought down.

Hope this helps!

Susie
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:47:40 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1769 on: April 28, 2017, 12:43:08 pm »
heya! What is your prescribed text? Mine was Wag the Dog and I studied Candide by Voltaire and the Evil Empire Speech by Ronald Reagan :) I haven't watched all of Lincoln, but I'd assume that would work as well, as from what I know of the film it deals with a lot of the key issues. I wanted to do animal farm last year too, but my teacher suggested not to use it for that very reason. She also said that since a lot of schools teach animal farm in junior school some don't look upon it too favourably as a related in year 12 - however in the long run it all comes down to your analysis, and if that is still really strong then (imo) you're unlikely to be brought down.

Hope this helps!

Susie

Hey, thanks Susie! And I'm sorry, I forgot to mention my prescribed, but it's Brave New World!