Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:35 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570995 times)  Share 

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #13305 on: January 26, 2021, 08:03:17 pm »
+10
Hi ATARNotes!

My question is why do chloride ions use facilitated diffusion through a channel protein to cross the plasma membrane? I thought they would use active transport since they are ions.
What molecules do use active transport then?

Active transport is required when you're pushing against the concentration gradient, i.e, moving from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration. If the chloride ions are going down the concentration gradient (from high conc to low conc) this doesn't require energy so it's not active transport even if it's facilitated by protein channels. If the ions are going against the concentration gradient only then is active transport required.

Chlorine ions are charged so they can't permeate the plasma membrane directly.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:05:52 pm by dedformed »
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

Bluebird

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13306 on: January 26, 2021, 10:52:05 pm »
+1
Active transport is required when you're pushing against the concentration gradient, i.e, moving from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration. If the chloride ions are going down the concentration gradient (from high conc to low conc) this doesn't require energy so it's not active transport even if it's facilitated by protein channels. If the ions are going against the concentration gradient only then is active transport required.

Chlorine ions are charged so they can't permeate the plasma membrane directly.

That helps a lot, thank you!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #13307 on: January 27, 2021, 11:49:14 am »
+11
For this question
Luke’s arrived at the hospital dehydrated from having spent the past few days with diarrhoea and vomiting. Is a hypertonic solution suitable for him? Explain

Dehydrated therefore there is a low concentration of solutes outside the cell.
- need a solution that will increase the concentration of solutes outside the cell
- A hypertonic solution would not be suitable
- A hypotonic solution would be suitable - solutes would move from inside the cell to outside

This is what I was thinking would this be right
I don't particularly like this question for the main reason that - from a quick bit of reading on google - it appears dehydration can be hypernatremic/hypertonic (net water loss with a higher sodium concentration than normal), hyponatremic/hypertonic (net water loss with lower sodium concentration than normal, or isonatremic/isotonic (net water loss with a normal sodium concentration. As you would imagine, the treatment for these different types of dehydration would be different.
Assuming of course that the type of dehydration in the question is hypernatremic/hypotonic meaning there is a higher conentration of sodium than normal, then you would want to treat it with a hypotonic solution such to increase the concentration of water in the body without increasing the concentration of sodium (as much). Once again, i am not well versed in how dehydration works, but I imagine that both the extracellular sodium concentration and the extracellular sodium concentration would be increased when dehydrated and so I think that stating that you need to increase the solute concentration outside the cell is not particularly correct. Instead I think we are trying to decrease the concentration of solute (and increase the concentration of water) inside and outside the cell. Administering this hypotonic solution intravenously for example, would increase the water concentration and decrease the solute concentration in the extracellular environment (outside the cell) relative to the extracellular environment. As a result a net diffusion of water into the cells down this concentration gradient would occur, increasing the concentration of water in the cell and decreasing the concentration of sodium (since there is now more water content).
Sorry for how long-winded this reply is - but hopefully this has helped clarify some points. Please let me know if I haven't explained something well or if I have made a mistake somewhere  :)

Please note though that you don't need any knowledge about how dehydration works for VCE bio, hence why I think the question is a little silly - unless ofcourse a question stem is provided explaining the specifics of the situation.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:52:54 am by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #13308 on: January 31, 2021, 02:10:23 pm »
Thanks

I'm not sure about my answer for this question if someone could give feedback

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #13309 on: January 31, 2021, 06:52:43 pm »
+5
Thanks

I'm not sure about my answer for this question if someone could give feedback

i) the conc in the cell increased but the rate it which it moved into the cell (the gradient) was initially constant, then decreased. Therefore, I would not say the rate of uptake increased overtime
ii) I think your answer here is pretty good, make sure you're emphasising what the question wants to hear about, which is how from the graph you can conclude it was diffusion.
iii) Hard to know without having a mark allocation, but for this question it's a good idea to include why you have that net movement of water. 

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13310 on: February 01, 2021, 12:58:01 pm »
Ok thanks . So should I say the concentration of molecule w increased inside the cell until around 8 minutes where equilibrium was reached and the net flux is zero.
The uptake of molecule w rapidly increased and then decreased.

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13311 on: February 04, 2021, 07:46:13 pm »
does anyone know for this question wouldn't all the options be wrong

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #13312 on: February 07, 2021, 08:48:32 am »
+4
does anyone know for this question wouldn't all the options be wrong

I think A would be correct.

If you think about the formula, increasing beginning pressure would mean ΔP would increase, and increasing the numerator on the fraction would mean the value would increase so F would be larger.
You can think about it by trying to picture the fluid flowing too, higher pressure would mean more particles in a smaller area in the beginning therefore faster flow.

Let me know if you need more clarification!

(also, this isn't VCE bio, is this from a different course?)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

mishyprzed1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13313 on: February 07, 2021, 12:58:38 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm in Bio 3/4 and I have this question.

When mountain climbers reach high altitudes the concentration of gas particles decreases.  What affect would this have on the diffusion of carbon dioxide? Explain.

Thank you to the people who reply :)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13314 on: February 07, 2021, 06:27:39 pm »
+5
Hi Guys,

When mountain climbers reach high altitudes the concentration of gas particles decreases.  What affect would this have on the diffusion of carbon dioxide? Explain.

Hey mishyprzed1!
I think the diffusion of carbon dioxide would be faster at high altitudes, because rate of diffusion increases when there's a bigger concentration gradient. So since that air inhaled into lungs would have a lower concentration of carbon dioxide than normal, the carbon dioxide in the blood would be faster to diffuse out.
Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong!

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13315 on: February 07, 2021, 08:08:04 pm »
+5
Hi Guys,

Owlbird83 is spot on, but just for interest I will explain further how the principles of diffusion relate to this (this is beyond the SD- and is soley for interest)
Below is an image of the oxygen-binding curve

*Note Hb = haemoglobin (the protein that carries oxygen in the blood)
We are interested in the blue line; the blue line presents where there is less partial pressure of oxygen compared to normal which is seen in high altitudes (because there is less oxygen availability in high altitudes)
As a result, the body has adapted to overcome there reduced oxygen availability by reaching Hb saturation (i.e. when the haemoglobin is fully occupied with oxygen) quicker compared to normal.
This also explains why people who live in high altitudes are able to survive, the amount of Hb increases in the blood in high altitudes in response to a decrease in oxygen availblity.
For the sake of VCE bio, Owlbird's answer would be sufficient but if you were interested in how this relates to the human body here ya go ;)
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13316 on: February 10, 2021, 12:55:26 pm »
The rate of simple diffusion of a solute across the cell membrane would be would be fastest in a cell with an
A.  internal solute concentration of 1.0mM and an external solute concentration of 2.0mM at 30 degrees Celsius
B. internal solute concentration of 3.0mM and an external solute concentration of 0.5mM at 30 degrees Celsius
C. internal solute concentration of 3.0mM and an external solute concentration of 0.5mM at 37 degrees Celsius
D. internal solute concentration of 1.0mM and an external solute concentration of 2.0mM at 37 degrees Celsius

Would this be c

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13317 on: February 10, 2021, 12:59:56 pm »
+5
The rate of simple diffusion of a solute across the cell membrane would be would be fastest in a cell with an
A.  internal solute concentration of 1.0mM and an external solute concentration of 2.0mM at 30 degrees Celsius
B. internal solute concentration of 3.0mM and an external solute concentration of 0.5mM at 30 degrees Celsius
C. internal solute concentration of 3.0mM and an external solute concentration of 0.5mM at 37 degrees Celsius
D. internal solute concentration of 1.0mM and an external solute concentration of 2.0mM at 37 degrees Celsius

Would this be c
Yep!
higher temp = faster
larger concentration gradient = faster

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13318 on: February 10, 2021, 05:13:08 pm »
Thanks

For this question wouldn't a also be correct because an increase in radius would result in increased flow

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #13319 on: February 10, 2021, 05:34:32 pm »
+4
Thanks

For this question wouldn't a also be correct because an increase in radius would result in increased flow

It says directly proportional, so the two things need to have the same power. That's why radius doesn't work