Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:49:22 pm

Author Topic: Introducing: Monash MD 2017 entry  (Read 19416 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Introducing: Monash MD 2017 entry
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:35:59 pm »
+17
Not sure if many people on AN are keen on med, but thought I'd post this here regardless ;)

Monash is introducing its MD program in 2017. Both undergraduate and graduate-entry students will receive a BMedSc qualification from the Y1/2/A component + part of 3B, and the MD from 3B/4C/5D. Only Monash course applicants will be accepted for the graduate-entry pathway, the majority being from BBiomed and a minority from BSc, BPhysio and BPharmacy.

The only real changes to curriculum will be:
- replacement of the elective with a scholarly intensive unit (research) in final year (ie. like UoM's stint but shorter)
- strengthening of the EBCP (evidence based clinical practice) component in 3rd year to prepare students for the scholarly intensive, plus some streamlining of the 1st and 2nd year theme II to match that
- strengthening of the patient safety curriculum in final year - this will constitute major summative assessment, so 4th year won't be quite the 'final hurdle' as it currently is

I'll post an official link when I get one (although the change is confirmed here), but until then, stay safe and don't do drugs xox
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:39:10 pm by pi »

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
Re: Introducing: Monash MD 2017 entry
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:45:39 pm »
What are the prerequisites? Am I correct to assume that I'm out?
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:45:47 pm »
+7
Not sure if many people on AN are keen on med

m8 where have you been?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 09:50:12 pm »
m8 where have you been?

There was heavy sarcasm in that :P

What are the prerequisites? Am I correct to assume that I'm out?

Yeah you'd be out :/

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:51:47 pm »
Will MBBS remain?

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:00:55 pm »
Finally Monash buckled to the trends.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:01:22 pm »
Will MBBS remain?

Nah I'm just doing 6 years of uni for fun :)

But seriously, it ends when the class of 2020 graduates, so the class of 2021 will all get their shiny MD. Very similar to what UoM did a few years back without adding time to the degree. Also BMedSc is distinct from BMedSc(Hons) which is still a full research year... Very confusing.

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 10:12:26 pm »
So when I apply next year pt and get in - o lawd please have my back man Im a good guy xx <3 - will I be doing mbbs or the new program? Because from what I've heard my year is the last year on the MBBS program?
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:59 pm »
So when I apply next year pt and get in - o lawd please have my back man Im a good guy xx <3 - will I be doing mbbs or the new program? Because from what I've heard my year is the last year on the MBBS program?

It's not clear. My sources suggest 2017 entry may be the first year, but I've heard conflicting information. Time will tell and med will be med. Nothing to really worry about, I only really posted here as a curiosity more than anything :)

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:15:15 pm »
It's not clear. My sources suggest 2017 entry may be the first year, but I've heard conflicting information. Time will tell and med will be med. Nothing to really worry about, I only really posted here as a curiosity more than anything :)
ooh - from what I've heard there'll be less undergrad spots (or none if any? ) but i my sources aren't monash sooo dont know how credible they are.
as long as same opportunities to get in im all g

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:20:01 pm »
Yeah who really knows. I highly doubt Monash will give up its undergrad spots given the apparent "higher quality" of school leavers that they've been getting ever since UoM went the way of the Melbourne Model (and probably more-so now that Chancellor's won't have their pre-uni interview!). I think the fact that hospitals which traditionally hired UoM grads are now hiring more and more Monash grads probably reflects that, or so I'm told. It's the #1 preference med school for the vast majority of Victorians (and probably the most desired med school along with UNSW in Australia) and I think it'd like to stay that way :P

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 10:21:45 pm »
Yeah who really knows. I highly doubt Monash will give up its undergrad spots given the apparent "higher quality" of school leavers that they've been getting ever since UoM went the way of the Melbourne Model (and probably more-so now that Chancellor's won't have their pre-uni interview!). I think the fact that hospitals which traditionally hired UoM grads are now hiring more and more Monash grads probably reflects that, or so I'm told. It's the #1 preference med school for the vast majority of Victorians (and probably the most desired med school along with UNSW in Australia) and I think it'd like to stay that way :P
yeah but undergrad --> post grad = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
and we all know $$$$$$$$ trumps quality any day (hope im not being ignorant here)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:24:18 pm »
Yeah that's true, but I'd like to think they'd value "higher quality" school leavers over doing what UoM did. Perhaps I'm being wildly optimistic.

Either way, at the end of the day, I don't really care haha :P As I said, just a curiosity for me :P

edit: also with your post response times, you must be the keenest AN-er for med I have ever seen!

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 10:31:05 pm »
Yeah that's true, but I'd like to think they'd value "higher quality" school leavers over doing what UoM did. Perhaps I'm being wildly optimistic.

Either way, at the end of the day, I don't really care haha :P As I said, just a curiosity for me :P

edit: also with your post response times, you must be the keenest AN-er for med I have ever seen!
Aha let's hope this eagerness translates into getting in :P - because interest and capability is not measured in your exam scores!
I should probably spend less time on AN and more time studying

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 10:35:27 pm »
Yeah you'd be out :/

Cheers mate.
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries