Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:30:23 pm

Author Topic: Unsw Co-Op  (Read 3276 times)  Share 

Anfar3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Unsw Co-Op
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:45:04 pm »
Hey guys,
Im currently progressing through my app for the coop program and haven't emailed my expression of interest to my school so they can do the school assessment. Have i left it too late? What is in the school assessment?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Unsw Co-Op
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:34 am »
+3
Hey! No stress - The school assessment is basically just your VP or coordinator estimating how high your ATAR will be, and a few other things.

Email your school TODAY and get the ball rolling, you'll be fine!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:02:22 pm »
Hi  :D
I'm currently working through my application and I need some guidance on how best to answer the questions. Should I just be 100% genuine? Or is there a certain way to answer scholarship questions. I feel like there is an art to answering these types of questions.
Below are the questions in the application:
1.   What is it that most attracts you to the UNSW Co-op Program and the academic field(s) that you have chosen? 750 character word limit.

2.   Co-curricular activities: You will be asked to select from a drop down list of activities. Activities not listed may be added. 1000 character word limit

3.   Learnings: Select one or two activities from either list in Question 1 and tell us the most important things you gained or learned from these activities. Do not just provide a list of dot points. 1000 character word limit

4.   Personal development: What do you regard as your key strengths and areas for improvement? 1000 character word limit

5.   Leadership and team work: Tell us about a situation where you were effective as a leader and/or as a team player. e.g. Describe how you significantly influenced others, or contributed to the effective operation/successful outcome of a situation or team. 1000 character word limit

6.   Decision making or problem solving: Drawing on your experience or involvement in a part-time job, community or school activity, describe how you overcame a challenging situation and what you learnt from the experience. 1000 character word limit

7.   Significant achievement or project: Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something. Your example might relate to recent work experience, a part time job or a major non-school based project you have undertaken. You might choose to highlight your creativity; the ability to see alternatives; come up with many varied or original ideas; or willingness to try/learn new things 1250 character word limit

8.   After graduation: What sort of graduate position do you imagine yourself in after university? 750 character word limit

9.   Personal qualities: Why should you be selected as a UNSW Co-op Program scholar? Describe the personal qualities and values that differentiate you and that you would bring to the UNSW Co-op Program. 1000 character word limit

Any tips/advice would be great!

Thanks!  ;D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »
+4
Hi  :D
I'm currently working through my application and I need some guidance on how best to answer the questions. Should I just be 100% genuine? Or is there a certain way to answer scholarship questions. I feel like there is an art to answering these types of questions.

Being 100% genuine, and there being an 'art' to the questions aren't mutually exclusive. You should be 100% genuine, but there is an art to answering the questions, and that art is pretty much just knowing what they are looking for.

The Coop scholarship is about finding high school graduates with advantageous qualities for employers - Dedication, passion, communication skills. University teaches technical knowledge, the scholarship is about finding people with transferrable/soft skills, and giving them the opportunity to develop those skills further in industry. The benefit to the sponsor is that they then get first access to the best graduates of the bunch - They are looking for their future employees.

So, all your answers should be showing off things that employers would like. Notice how all the questions focus on something to that end - Leadership, overcoming challenges. Make sure you show them you have those qualities.

However, don't manufacture an answer - Be genuine! Answers written just to "tick boxes" stick out like a sore thumb, and won't do you any favours :)

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:04:05 pm »
+1
Being 100% genuine, and there being an 'art' to the questions aren't mutually exclusive. You should be 100% genuine, but there is an art to answering the questions, and that art is pretty much just knowing what they are looking for.

The Coop scholarship is about finding high school graduates with advantageous qualities for employers - Dedication, passion, communication skills. University teaches technical knowledge, the scholarship is about finding people with transferrable/soft skills, and giving them the opportunity to develop those skills further in industry. The benefit to the sponsor is that they then get first access to the best graduates of the bunch - They are looking for their future employees.

So, all your answers should be showing off things that employers would like. Notice how all the questions focus on something to that end - Leadership, overcoming challenges. Make sure you show them you have those qualities.

However, don't manufacture an answer - Be genuine! Answers written just to "tick boxes" stick out like a sore thumb, and won't do you any favours :)

Thanks so much for clearing things up Jamon! ;D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced