Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 09:01:57 am

Author Topic: Should I have finished my LOTE Oral by now?  (Read 2135 times)  Share 

lalala123

Should I have finished my LOTE Oral by now?
« on: August 19, 2015, 08:27:16 pm »
My exam is like less than two months away - and I've barely began.
I mean, I've done a bit of general convo but I haven't actually memorized anything :( (I really don't like the idea of memorizing answers, I try to naturally include complex grammar and stuff anyway)

With detailed study - our school didn't begin that early anyway. My mum asked me how much of my detailed study I've done and I said nothing and she full on yelled at me so yeah.

Just wondering where everyone else is up to? Where should I be up to?

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: Should I have finished my LOTE Oral by now?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:21 pm »
+1
Hey there, I'm doing German this year as well so hopefully I can provide some insight as to where others are up to. To begin with, I mainly agree with your philosophy that you shouldn't rote-learn answers or rigidly try to stick to a script. However, at the same time, there is literally no harm in preparing some responses for very frequent questions (e.g. what are your hobbies, tell me about your family, what do you want to do after school). In this sense, you should definitely try to do some preparation. The general conversation shouldn't be too hard to control so long as you've practised it sufficiently.

In terms of the detailed study, I'm surprised your school hasn't begun work on it in class already (unless you were being hyperbolic about having said done 'nothing'). I'd at the very least recommend you to get an idea of what kind of topic you're interested in doing. You want to know your resource(s) inside out and be prepared to talk openly about your Schwerpunkt in this part of the oral exam. Perhaps ask your teacher for some more guidance in this regard. Just remember: it's never to late to start preparing for the exams.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne