Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 09:24:06 am

Author Topic: What English Resources Should I Buy?  (Read 1507 times)  Share 

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
What English Resources Should I Buy?
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:11:47 pm »
My school booklisted only the English texts we are studying.
What are some other good books and resources I can buy for English eg thoughts on ATAR Notes, Neap, insight and Pearson. What are the best books you guys used in the past. Or ami better off using the internet and AN?
Thanks

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
Re: What English Resources Should I Buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:52:41 pm »
take a look at this thread   ;)
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

JamieLeaf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 04:10:01 pm »
Hi there
I definitely recommend the insight text guides as they are pretty simple and explain complex themes and concepts in a succinct and clear manner that will make it easy to comprehend and serve as a springboard for you to develop your own original interpretations of the text - a very important part of english.

However, if you can I highly recommend that you purchase York Notes. York Notes doesn't provide guides to all VCE texts however, if you are lucky enough I found york notes highly beneficial to my english vce studies. This was because York Notes provide a lot of literary criticism and deep exploration of the text. It is also written in a very academic manner and contained a lot of vocabulary which can be harvested and reused in your essay writing.

Hope this helps and best of luck in your english studies.

crawlingvines

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »
Hi there
I definitely recommend the insight text guides as they are pretty simple and explain complex themes and concepts in a succinct and clear manner that will make it easy to comprehend and serve as a springboard for you to develop your own original interpretations of the text - a very important part of english.

These are commonly available in public libraries so make sure you snoop around those if you want to save money. In fact most if not all the english resources I used were from public and school libraries so don't be afraid to max out your library card ;)