Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:33:20 am

Author Topic: will these vce subjects get me into bachelor of law and science?  (Read 1057 times)

hildegard

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
hi,

i'm not sure if my post is in the correct forum since i'm completely new to this atar notes system, so apologies if i got anything wrong

to start off, i'm currently in year 9, and at my school, we're given the opportunity to accelerate methods unit 1, 2 and another vce subject (unit 1, 2) of our choice in year 10

that being said, i was wondering if these vce subjects would get me into bachelor of law and science (preferably at UNSW), and would my subject choices be too stressful during my senior years?

- english language
- methods (starting at year 10)
- further
- biology (starting at year 10)
- chemistry
- legal studies
- japanese SL

if you could provide me with some personal experiences on the workload and sacs, etc., that would be very much appreciated :)

thank you in advance!
Class of 2025

possible_to_return_passport

• Fresh Poster
Re: will these vce subjects get me into bachelor of law and science?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 11:05:00 am »
In my opinion as someone in the same grade level, I don’t think you need 7 subjects.

I think that you can do without further.

Also, I said accelerate legal, I didn’t read your post right… bio is fine.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:09:56 am by possible_to_return_passport »

hildegard

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 11:58:37 am »
hey there,

thank you so much for your response!

i will definitely take your advice into account when i'm selecting my subjects :)
Class of 2025

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 06:25:27 pm »
Hi hildegard!

First, if I were you do some research into what prereqs they want from you and their atar cutoff.

There is no need for 7 subjects. I'm only doing 7 subjects because my school didn't let me drop into 4 subjects, so they made me do the usual 5 during yr 12.

Yr 11 is your "safety net". Its when you sus out to find out what you like and don't like; find out what study habits suit you etc.

Enjoy being in yr 9, don't stress out too much now. I wish I didn't take everything so srsly then. You'll have plenty of time to figure what you like and don't like then.

Feel free to pm me anytime,
beep boop
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 07:12:10 pm »
that being said, i was wondering if these vce subjects would get me into bachelor of law and science (preferably at UNSW)
From this website, I think the assumed knowledge for this course includes: Chem, Biology/ Physics/ Environmental Science, and depending on your major, the equivalent of Maths Advanced/ Extension 1 (this apparently translates to Methods and Spesh respectively according to Insanipi). You'll also need to take the LSAT eventually. Please note: if you're primarily interested in NSW uni courses, you'll need to find out what the VCE equivalents of the prereqs are, as they will be directed primarily at a HSC student (i.e. NSW students), and they're not always perfect equivalents.

For most Victorian uni science/ law double degrees, you'll probably need some form of Methods/ Spesh and/or Science + English subject. You can check VTAC CourseSearch for most Victorian uni courses.   

would my subject choices be too stressful during my senior years?
 - snip -
if you could provide me with some personal experiences on the workload and sacs, etc., that would be very much appreciated :)
Not really. I've seen a lot of people who have taken similar workloads and Methods and Biology as advanced subjects.

In fact, way back in 2014 (when I did Year 12 - yes I'm a dinosaur), I did most of those subjects (all except Legal and Biology; I took Psych instead). Personally, the workload was relatively hectic, but manageable in Year 12, particularly since I was doing Eng Lang, Methods, Chem, Further and Japanese SL in the same year.       
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:50:54 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread