Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:16:47 am

Author Topic: What happens if you don't turn up to an oral exam?  (Read 6274 times)  Share 

kxyaa

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
What happens if you don't turn up to an oral exam?
« on: October 13, 2020, 01:59:27 am »
What happens if you don't turn up to a LOTE oral exam...

I'm feeling really unprepared and mine's in a few days  :'(

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: What happens if you don't turn up to an oral exam?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 08:02:29 am »
+9
Please go to your exam, things will be a lot better if you do. I'm not 100% sure on what would happen, except that the outcome would not be good if you missed the exam without a valid reason. Do the best that you can, at least you will have the written exam as another opportunity to bump up your mark.

You might have already done this, but I suggest recording your answers to the potential questions, and then maybe listening to it as often as you can in the lead up to hopefully help some more of the phrases stick in your mind.
Good luck! It will feel so good once you've got it finished.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

kxyaa

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:37:19 am »
+4
Thank you, I really needed this encouragement!

I know we have to get there 30 minutes before, but during this 30 minutes, are we allowed to read through our notes/phone?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 08:53:08 am »
+6
Thank you, I really needed this encouragement!

I know we have to get there 30 minutes before, but during this 30 minutes, are we allowed to read through our notes/phone?
Yes! You get there and check in with some administrative people, then you can sit in the waiting area and can read through notes or go on your phone until about 5 mins before, they send you to sit on a chair outside the exam room and you only bring your exam slip of paper, and then the door will open and your examiners will tell you to come in, (at least that's what happened for me, but I reckon it would be pretty similar anywhere)  :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 11:21:18 am »
+10
Whenever I do anything that I'm scared of, or worried about, or just unsure if what I'm doing is correct, I always like to ask myself - what's the worst/best case scenario?

Well, if you don't go to your oral, what's the best case scenario? You get 0 for your oral. What's the worst case scenario if you do go? You get 0 for your oral. It's scary, sure, but the absolute WORST thing that can happen if you do go is already guaranteed to either be better than if you don't go, or the same as if you didn't go. But what if we looked at it the other way? Well, best case scenario if you do go - you surprise yourself with how well you actually do, and get a decent score. A lot of the oral is about attitude - if you psyche yourself out now, you won't do well. But if you try to swallow your fears and pump yourself up, you can still very well!

Okay, so what's the worst situation if you don't go? You get 0 for LOTE. Not just for the GA - but for the whole subject. I don't know what will exactly happen, but I do believe if you don't have a mark for each of your GAs, that counts as not having done the full subject, and so they don't give you a study score. Again, I don't know this for certain, but based on everything I do know - this is a possibility.

So yeah, it's scary now, but as Owlbird said - you get time to go through things. In my own experience, all my face-to-face examiners (I also did music in VCE as well as Jap SL) were lovely. Usually, they're teachers, and most teachers want you to do well. That's why they get into teaching - because they want students to be able to achieve. 100%, I get the nerves. 100%, knowing that it will be better in the future is never amazing motivation for how you feel now. But trust me and Owlbird in this case - if you just give this one solid push, it'll all be alright, and you'll be in an infinitely better position had you decided to just not show up. It's kinda like getting a vaccine - the needle is scary at first, but if you push through it, then that's one less disease you have to worry about.

kxyaa

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 07:17:17 pm »
+1
Yes! You get there and check in with some administrative people, then you can sit in the waiting area and can read through notes or go on your phone until about 5 mins before, they send you to sit on a chair outside the exam room and you only bring your exam slip of paper, and then the door will open and your examiners will tell you to come in, (at least that's what happened for me, but I reckon it would be pretty similar anywhere)  :)
Oh cool, thank you! :)

Whenever I do anything that I'm scared of, or worried about, or just unsure if what I'm doing is correct, I always like to ask myself - what's the worst/best case scenario?

Well, if you don't go to your oral, what's the best case scenario? You get 0 for your oral. What's the worst case scenario if you do go? You get 0 for your oral. It's scary, sure, but the absolute WORST thing that can happen if you do go is already guaranteed to either be better than if you don't go, or the same as if you didn't go. But what if we looked at it the other way? Well, best case scenario if you do go - you surprise yourself with how well you actually do, and get a decent score. A lot of the oral is about attitude - if you psyche yourself out now, you won't do well. But if you try to swallow your fears and pump yourself up, you can still very well!

Okay, so what's the worst situation if you don't go? You get 0 for LOTE. Not just for the GA - but for the whole subject. I don't know what will exactly happen, but I do believe if you don't have a mark for each of your GAs, that counts as not having done the full subject, and so they don't give you a study score. Again, I don't know this for certain, but based on everything I do know - this is a possibility.

So yeah, it's scary now, but as Owlbird said - you get time to go through things. In my own experience, all my face-to-face examiners (I also did music in VCE as well as Jap SL) were lovely. Usually, they're teachers, and most teachers want you to do well. That's why they get into teaching - because they want students to be able to achieve. 100%, I get the nerves. 100%, knowing that it will be better in the future is never amazing motivation for how you feel now. But trust me and Owlbird in this case - if you just give this one solid push, it'll all be alright, and you'll be in an infinitely better position had you decided to just not show up. It's kinda like getting a vaccine - the needle is scary at first, but if you push through it, then that's one less disease you have to worry about.

Thank you, this really cheered me up! I guess I just felt like this as I've been losing motivation and didn't practise as much as I could, and my dismal progress and the amount of time I had left to go stressed me out to the point that I was considering not turning up because of how unprepared I was... (My fault for doing last-minute cramming, but I'll try my best)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:26:39 pm by kxyaa »