Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:19 am

Author Topic: Second Language  (Read 5687 times)  Share 

Tjsdn

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Second Language
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:31:28 am »
Is there any benefits of doing Second Language in VCE?

aspiringantelope

Re: Second Language
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:49:58 am »
+1
Is there any benefits of doing Second Language in VCE?
in VCE? Or in General?
In VCE, learning a Second Language will allow you to delve deeply into the cultural aspects of the country, which is one of the main points that excites VCE language takers which results in their choice.
Another point is the enormous scaling that "Second" Languages provide  (Not First), which is normally around 8-10.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: Second Language
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:33:22 pm »
+2
Hi!

Obviously, there are many benefits on learning a Second, or Additional Language in VCE, some of which aspiringantelope has already mentioned. Learning additional languages have been said to increase brain plasticity and capacity to learn greater amounts of information, as our language learning is separated from our main memory bank where facts and such would exist. That said, I'm no expert on this and most of it is what our Languages teachers have told us and from the little research I've done on the internet, so forgive me if I'm wrong!

One thing I can confirm, however, is that completing a 3&4 Additional Language Unit, alongside doing Methods and/or Spesh and getting a minimum study score of 30 in an English will give you the VCE Baccalaureate, It is simply another certificate given to you with your Statement of Marks, and despite not being another 'qualification', it does give additional recognition for those doing a Language & higher level of Maths. It is also a positive thing to have if you're interested in international study. If you want to read further, just type VCE Baccalaureate into Google and I'm sure you'll come across some stuff on it.

Hope this information has been useful!  :)
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University