Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:28 pm

Author Topic: VCE Music Performance Questions Thread  (Read 11278 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
VCE Music Performance Questions Thread
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:26 am »
+2
VCE MUSIC PERFORMANCE Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the VCE Music Performance course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, including TuteSmart tutors! So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

clegna

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Music Performance Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:46 pm »
Helllooo,

I'm doing yr 12 VCE music performance and I was wondering if anyone out there has any tips regarding becoming more confident in playing? Because whenever I'm playing naturally with no pressure, I'm usually able to play with minimal stops than I do when I'm performing in front of others. My situation is kind of ironic since I actually have performance experience and regularly perform in front of others, yet I still get excessively nervous. Can someone pleaseeeee help me? I also have another question: Is 16 minutes good enough for a music recital? What's the optimal time range a pianist should be at?

Thank you!!!!1 :) :)
[/font]

P.S. Last question, I promise, can someone with no perfect pitch do just as well in the aural component of the written exam as someone with perfect pitch?

Tintintnm

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:57:46 am »
+11
Helllooo,

I'm doing yr 12 VCE music performance and I was wondering if anyone out there has any tips regarding becoming more confident in playing? Because whenever I'm playing naturally with no pressure, I'm usually able to play with minimal stops than I do when I'm performing in front of others. My situation is kind of ironic since I actually have performance experience and regularly perform in front of others, yet I still get excessively nervous. Can someone pleaseeeee help me? I also have another question: Is 16 minutes good enough for a music recital? What's the optimal time range a pianist should be at?

Thank you!!!!1 :) :)
[/font]

P.S. Last question, I promise, can someone with no perfect pitch do just as well in the aural component of the written exam as someone with perfect pitch?

Hello there! Thanks for your post- this will actually be my first reply to an ATARNOTES post so I hope it’s alright!

I did Music Performance last year, and I’m currently undertaking Music Investigation this year [Pipe Organ]. I’d love to share with you some of the advice that I have been given over the years from my teachers and parents as well as the things that I have learnt through my own experience in regards to gaining confidence and combatting the nerves that come with performing. I really hope you find some of my advice useful! 

1) Before you even start playing, breathe, breathe, breathe. Take long deep breaths to fill your lungs and brain with oxygen. Moreover, whilst you are playing, make sure you are constantly breathing as to not build up tension in your body- be aware of your breathing!

2) For an exercise before a performance, breathe in whilst lifting your shoulders as high as you can. Maintain them in that position for a few seconds whilst holding your breath. Then, when you are ready, completely release all the tension by dropping your shoulders quickly and breathing out simultaneously. Do it a few times if you need to!

3) Give yourself time to settle down- don’t ever feel rushed into a performance. Only play when you are ready- you want to give yourself the best chance at a successful performance!

4) Believe in yourself and keep telling yourself that “you got this” and that you have nothing to lose. Have confidence that you know you can play well- If you have prepared your piece/s thoroughly and have worked hard at it, then a lot of the pressure is already off- you know you have it in you to pull it off!

5) Don’t be afraid of your audience. When you are playing to them, they are there to be inspired by your playing! They want to see you do your best, not bring you down- even the examiners!

6) Don’t think about playing wrong notes or the technical difficulties in your piece. Negative thinking and self-doubt makes EVERYTHING worse-put all those thoughts at the back of your mind. Instead, think about performing musically, artistically and expressing yourself in the music- that is above all the most important part of performing, more so than playing every note correct or everything technically sound. Also, always have the composer in your heart and mind- you want to also make them proud!

7) Keep up with performing- take every opportunity you get [although it’s already getting quite close to the exam- mine’s next Saturday!] and use each of them as learning experiences. Keep trying to implement different strategies to cope with nerves/ lack of confidence, whether it be positive self-talk, deep breathing, etc. in each successive performance- you might even discover your own methods along the way that help you to stay calm and confident!

All in all, becoming a confident performer takes A LONG time, and is best improved through performance practice. Even some of the best performers today still get nervous and anxious despite performing for years and years [they fake it very well]! Here’s an article you might want to check out which talks about mastering self-talk and how that helps us as musicians to gain confidence in performing: https://bulletproofmusician.com/how-to-become-a-more-confident-performer/

As for your question about the length of your recital, 16 minutes is cutting it a little short. Around the 20 minute mark is optimal. However, is your program balanced?- A mix between fast, slow, loud, soft etc.? If it is, then it shouldn’t matter TOO much. However, some examiners might be a bit picky about this and deduct marks in other criteria, so you don’t want to take too much of a risk!
What is your program anyhow? [I’m pretty interested in knowing haha, I’m a pianist as well as an organist] And do you have maybe one other short 2-3 minute piece that you could possibly include into your program?

And as for your question about whether you can do well in the aural component without having perfect pitch- of course you can! Why not? I don’t have perfect pitch myself [I can mostly identify notes on a piano, but my pitch isn’t reliable with other instruments/voice etc.] You just have to know all your scales/modes, chords and intervals very, very well, and practise, practise, practise- I cannot emphasise the importance of practice! Practise SINGING intervals, scales and melodies as well as they will help consolidate your memory of it all. Knowing all your scales, chords and intervals back to front will also help you tremendously with the melodic transcription part of the aural component don’t forget!!

Overall, don’t let not having perfect pitch deter you from believing you can’t do well in the aural section. You might have to put in more effort into aural practice than those who have perfect pitch but that’s alright, your hard work will pay off in the end. Keep working towards both exams and good luck!

P.S. If there’s even one thing that you can take from my post, that would truly make my day. Sorry if I went off on a tangent HAHA! I just couldn’t help myself!

Thong
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:01:59 am by Tintintnm »

clegna

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 01:06:41 pm »
+1
Hi Thong!!!

First of all, thank you so much for replying! That was my first post too and I was really scared if anyone would answer my question so I would like to thank you for taking the time to help me. Your advice was really helpful and I appreciate all the tips you gave me. My exam is actually next Sunday so I was desperate to get advice as I kept worrying about making mistakes during my recital. In saying that, your post really made my day and just makes me feel more inspired to do well!!! I wasn't even expecting a response, yet you gave me a very long and thoughtful response :)

My recital list is as follows:
1) Pineapple Rag by Joplin
2) Prelude and Fugue No 23 in B Major, BWV 868 by Bach
3) "Allegro" 1st movement from Sonata in D Major K284 by Mozart
4) "Nocturne" in E minor (posthumous) Op 72 No 1 by Chopin
5) Dance in Bulgarian Rhythm Vol VI nos 153 by Bartok

I don't think I'm able to include another piece just because of time constraints but I have got a range of music so I'm hoping it'll be ok. What are your thoughts?

Just a quick question for you and any other musicians, for the listening component of the aural and written exam, are we allowed to write our answers in dot point/table form or do they have to be in paragraphs?

Again, thank you so much!!!! I feel much better now and good luck for your exam!!! :) :)

Tintintnm

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 11:57:19 pm »
+4
Hi Thong!!!

First of all, thank you so much for replying! That was my first post too and I was really scared if anyone would answer my question so I would like to thank you for taking the time to help me. Your advice was really helpful and I appreciate all the tips you gave me. My exam is actually next Sunday so I was desperate to get advice as I kept worrying about making mistakes during my recital. In saying that, your post really made my day and just makes me feel more inspired to do well!!! I wasn't even expecting a response, yet you gave me a very long and thoughtful response :)

My recital list is as follows:
1) Pineapple Rag by Joplin
2) Prelude and Fugue No 23 in B Major, BWV 868 by Bach
3) "Allegro" 1st movement from Sonata in D Major K284 by Mozart
4) "Nocturne" in E minor (posthumous) Op 72 No 1 by Chopin
5) Dance in Bulgarian Rhythm Vol VI nos 153 by Bartok

I don't think I'm able to include another piece just because of time constraints but I have got a range of music so I'm hoping it'll be ok. What are your thoughts?

Just a quick question for you and any other musicians, for the listening component of the aural and written exam, are we allowed to write our answers in dot point/table form or do they have to be in paragraphs?

Again, thank you so much!!!! I feel much better now and good luck for your exam!!! :) :)

Thank you for replying! I am so thrilled that I was able to help you!

Your recital program looks GREAT- balanced and exploring each of the different styles- should be more than fine. I’ve played the Chopin nocturne myself and I’ve fooled around with the Mozart and Bartok- they’re all great pieces, I’m sure the examiners will love it!

On a side note, if you want/need, perhaps take an extra moment in between each piece to stretch your fingers, relax your shoulders, breathe, think about what you want to convey in your next piece etc. as to really calm yourself down. As long as you don’t take ages [like 30 secs+ In between each piece], the examiners won’t mind. Go at your own pace and don’t take any of your pieces at a faster speed than you can cope! Control>speed!!!

And as for your question about the listening- I assume you are referring to the analysis section. It is completely fine to write in dot point format. However, I think I’ve heard that some examiners may look at the table, but not actually assess it [as it doesn’t really explain your ideas]. I think the safe bet is to use the ideas from your tables whilst you are listening and transfer/implement them into your dot points- ask your teacher to confirm this as I’m not 100% sure!

Best of luck for your exam next Sunday! Will you be playing at MLC?!

Thong

clegna

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 10:29:58 am »
Yeah I'll be playing at MLC, thanks so much again!

P.S. How did you go in music performance?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:33:41 am by clegna »

Tintintnm

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:46:48 am »
+2
Yeah I'll be playing at MLC, thanks so much again!

P.S. How did you go in music performance?

HAHA I figured you would ask this! I got a 43. Wasn’t ecstatic about it, but was relieved to get over 40 haha. I think analysis let me down [I kind of had it coming, I put little to no effort into it, definitely became way too complacent!!!], but also I had 2 slips in the performance of one of my pieces [Toccata and Fugue in D minor] which I didn’t see coming, so that probably somewhat dropped my accuracy mark. Everything was still A+ though so I was happy about that. Basically, don’t neglect any part of the exam and focus at working on your weaknesses [I used to be dreadful at rhythmic transcription, but I really worked hard at it and managed to full mark that section on the exam last year]. You still got time, keep working!

Thong

alexthenerd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 11:47:35 am »
hello,
im currently in year ten and deciding which subjects i should choose to do for VCE. i was wondering, what is this subject like for somebody who does classical voice? is it extremely difficult?
keep in mind im quite good with my theory and aural, im just worried i won't be good enough to score highly in the performance aspect.
is it worth me choosing music performance?
any advice is really appreciated
thanks
2019: biology (42)
2020: english language, methods, chemistry, further, music performance

crepe99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 05:26:11 pm »
Hello!
I'm currently doing Music Performance units 1&2, and my main instrument is the violin. I was wondering if/how the examiners adjust for the difficulty of the instrument? For example, it's harder to reach a level where you can perform 'accurately and with clarity"(VCE study guide) on the violin than the ukulele, but do they account for this? Also, I don't suppose anyone knows where I can see videos of past music performance students? I've watched the top class one, but I am hungry for more :)

Thank you!!

mlidgerwood4617

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 08:57:37 am »
Hello!
I'm currently doing Music Performance units 1&2, and my main instrument is the violin. I was wondering if/how the examiners adjust for the difficulty of the instrument? For example, it's harder to reach a level where you can perform 'accurately and with clarity"(VCE study guide) on the violin than the ukulele, but do they account for this? Also, I don't suppose anyone knows where I can see videos of past music performance students? I've watched the top class one, but I am hungry for more :)

Thank you!!

Hi! I wouldn't worry too much about this, because you are not marked against every single person who does a performance exam, but instead will be marked against just the violin players, when you get to a 3/4 exam. Otherwise there's no fair way to mark a voice, ukulele and violin all the same way! My advice would be to just pick your repertoire as early as you can (within reason - e.g. I would recommend by March next year at the latest), practice efficiently and do your best. Worrying about things out of your control doesn't benefit you in any way :)

antyy69

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 01:19:23 pm »

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the VCE Music Performance course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

My current sac scores were 88 and 85. I'm extremely worried that this isn't enough for a 40+ in music.  :'(

Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, including TuteSmart tutors! So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

redPYRAmid

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 09:58:57 am »
Just wondering...
I'm thinking of continuing Music Performance into Year 11 and 12, what grade do you think I will need to be to do well? I am currently AMEB Grade 5 and can play some harder pieces like Maple Leaf Rag and Nocturne in B flat minor. Any input would be appreciated.

jejo89

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 01:42:15 pm »

What is this thread for?

Hi,
I just did Music performance and I got a study score of 33 :/

like how?? I pretty much aced all my SACS and I got a B for some reason, and I did really well and managed to get an A for both theory and performance exams. Can someone pls explain? I play piano and I am up to my AMus in AMEB.

thanks