Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:54:54 am

Author Topic: What are the advantages of different Unis?  (Read 1915 times)  Share 

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
What are the advantages of different Unis?
« on: May 13, 2021, 10:14:43 am »
So recently been looking into what uni courses I may be interested in and the requirements needed to be able to enroll but I'm sure many of you know how much overwhelming stuff there is to look at. For example, the courses I'm looking at are biomedicine or law related (basic I know) and a lot of unis such as RMIT and UniMelb claim that they are better ranked than each other. Does this ranking really affect your job prospects once you leave uni and do the facilities that each uni offer give you a better edge (like the Peter Doherty Institute at Melb)?
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: What are the advantages of different Unis?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 11:34:37 am »
+6
So recently been looking into what uni courses I may be interested in and the requirements needed to be able to enroll but I'm sure many of you know how much overwhelming stuff there is to look at. For example, the courses I'm looking at are biomedicine or law related (basic I know) and a lot of unis such as RMIT and UniMelb claim that they are better ranked than each other. Does this ranking really affect your job prospects once you leave uni and do the facilities that each uni offer give you a better edge (like the Peter Doherty Institute at Melb)?
Rankings are not static so they can definitely change over the next few years. I don't think they are a great way of assessing on what makes a good university tbh since a lot of the criteria for rankings are dependent on research output and most undergraduates are not doing research. Also, there is gonna be a heap of conflicting interests and biases by whatever organisation is making the rankings.

In terms of jobs, I think it depends on the field on how importnat what university you go to but also how you go in uni (e.g. your actual grades + extracurricular stuff).

EDIT: Rankings are probably useful for just getting a gauge on how a university is viewed by others either in Australia or Internationally
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:37:14 am by Sine »

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: What are the advantages of different Unis?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 04:58:24 pm »
+5
I’d like to add that there is no ‘best’ uni, only a uni that is best for you. This depends on your personal circumstances, and many factors may come into play such as travel time, scholarships, clubs & societies you may be interested in, offered electives and opportunities. If you’re finding it overwhelming, a table comparing the different unis might help, and know that it’s okay to take time to compile information since it can be quite a lot to take in! I also recommend talking to students from these unis who are doing the courses you are interested in to get some firsthand insight into their experiences.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash