Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:40:50 am

Author Topic: Confused about rankings  (Read 1371 times)  Share 

Samueliscool223

• Forum Regular
  • jjjjj
  • Respect: -5
Confused about rankings
« on: May 04, 2021, 03:45:45 pm »
So, in my further maths class, my teacher keeps emphatically explaining how important your SAC ranking is, and how if you're #1 you'll automatically get the best exam score among all students, however my physics teacher told me today your ranking doesnt really matter, and that even if you only get 2nd or 3rd for SACs you can still get the top exam mark (i.e. 1st place for SACs doesnt guarantee top exam result). Can someone please clear up this apparent contradiction?
Also, for unit 3 physics Ive got 89%, 96% and 97% for my first, second and third SACs, respectively and am (probably) going to ranked 2nd or 3rd in my cohort (considering a couple people are super smart in my class). Is it theoretically possible for me to still achieve a 50 SS if I ace my exam? I heard this was true, as your SACs scale up to 100% if this occurs.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:55:31 pm by Samueliscool223 »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Confused about rankings
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 05:34:06 pm »
+1
There's an element of moderation in there. So your SAC scores get moderated against exam scores and I think vice versa? However, nobody quote me on this; I don't understand it entirely.
It does not follow that you walk into the exam ranked #1 and you get the highest SS - for one subject last year I was ranked #1, and was beaten by someone further down in the ranking, but for another I wasn't ranked first and others didn't do so well on the exam so I topped it (the perks of a tiny cohort).
I believe that it's theoretically possible to get a 50 with such marks. If you sustain them, that is! :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:17:56 pm »
+2
So, in my further maths class, my teacher keeps emphatically explaining how important your SAC ranking is, and how if you're #1 you'll automatically get the best exam score among all students, however my physics teacher told me today your ranking doesnt really matter, and that even if you only get 2nd or 3rd for SACs you can still get the top exam mark (i.e. 1st place for SACs doesnt guarantee top exam result). Can someone please clear up this apparent contradiction?
Also, for unit 3 Ive got 89%, 96% and 97% for my first, second and third SACs, respectively and am (probably) going to ranked 2nd or 3rd in my cohort (considering a couple people are super smart in my class). Is it theoretically possible for me to still achieve a 50 SS if I ace my exam? I heard this was true, as your SACs scale up to 100% if this occurs.

Hi hi, how SAC and study scores work completely is a secret guarded by VCAA that they will take to their grades  ;)
However based on what teachers have said to me and some experiences by people I know, ranking is important rather than the grade you necessarily get. Because SACs are created by the school there's no way that they can all be moderated to the same standard, for example School A might give out really easy SACs so that most students get 80-90% however School B may give very hard SACs that only a few get above 70%. Your exam is important in this regard as it is a way that all students have the same playing field so that VCAA can work their study score magic and, from what I've been told, your exam mark will effectively be your SAC mark as well to some degree.

Your marks so far are amazing, keep up the good effort!! However I know many people who have based their hopes on ranking and such only for it to not work in their favor. So the best advice I can offer is to just keep pushing yourself forward to do the best of your ability so that your end of year result reflects this  :)
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:31:14 pm »
+2
Simple explanation:

Rank 1 has the top exam score become their SAC score
Your exam score is your exam score

If you do the best on the exam, your exam score is the top exam score. If you are not rank 1, your SAC score won't be the top exam score.

It is theoretically possible for you to get a 50 SS but keep in mind that further maths is notoriously easy to drop SS points on (when you're close to 50) for even one or two mistakes in the exam.

Oynx

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:27 pm »
Would you be denied a 50 even though you ace the exam(s) but don't do too well in the sacs?
2021 - Biology | Further mathematics

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 08:38:44 pm »
+1
Would you be denied a 50 even though you ace the exam(s) but don't do too well in the sacs?
Yeah you would.

They dont just hand out 50s or any study scores it is all based on standerdisation, mathematical formulas and how you rank compared to others. If you dont do well on sacs that is going to bring your position in the state down. So less likely to get a 50.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 09:39:14 pm »
As a rule of thumb, SAC marks can be moderated. Your exam score on the other hand is whatever you get on that day you sit the exam.