Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 pm

Author Topic: Thinking of taking up Accounting  (Read 2628 times)  Share 

Bluebird

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Thinking of taking up Accounting
« on: January 28, 2021, 12:15:04 am »
Just like the title says, I'm thinking of taking up accounting.

I posted a thread similar in the BusMan board because I'm tossing up between that, accounting and legal studies.

Is accounting hard? Is it geared towards more math-inclined students? How hard is the math in it? Can the theories be rote-learned or is it more application based? Is accounting better for uni courses than BusMan? What excel things do you have to learn? Or is it more to do with bookkeeping?

I gotta make a decision in a couple of days so responses asap are appreciated!

LachlanBarr8

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
Re: Thinking of taking up Accounting
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 02:00:48 pm »
Just like the title says, I'm thinking of taking up accounting.

I posted a thread similar in the BusMan board because I'm tossing up between that, accounting and legal studies.

Is accounting hard? Is it geared towards more math-inclined students? How hard is the math in it? Can the theories be rote-learned or is it more application based? Is accounting better for uni courses than BusMan? What excel things do you have to learn? Or is it more to do with bookkeeping?

I gotta make a decision in a couple of days so responses asap are appreciated!

Hey man,

Accounting was by far my most loved subject! If your interested in things related to finance or are thinking of studying commerce in uni than I definitely believe that Accounting is by far the more useful subject in comparison to busman and legal. The math is often just subtracting, adding or multiplying on the calculator, so extremely basic and nothing difficult. In terms of difficulty, different people will say different things. For the most part the practical aspect of Accounting is quiet straightforward with practice, with people's general downfall being silly mistakes like miscalculations, recording errors or not reading the question properly. The theory aspect I also found to be straightforward; however, the weaker students definitely struggled, especially when answering 4-6 mark questions related to discussion and analyse of a firm's liquidity/profitability based on graphs/financial indicators. Again, with practice these can start to become second nature. Although, for an added bonus remember that Accounting does scale up compared to busman/legal which scaled down. In terms of route learning and being applications based, I would say that there is a mixture of both; however, you can definitely get away with route learning theory and then applying it to similar questions (NOTE: there are some questions which REQUIRE route learned responses to get marks). I cant comment on the excel part as we didn't have to do anything on excel due to corona but from what I heard my teacher say the previous year, it's nothing too hard.

Also a quick question for you, have you done any of the subjects you listed in 1/2?

I hope this helps,
Lachie
2019: Psychology [44], Religion & Society [48]

2020: Accounting [41], English [48], Further [45], Methods [37]

ATAR: 99.00