Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:29:20 am

Author Topic: Could my study score be wrong?  (Read 4649 times)

Em.C11

• Adventurer
Could my study score be wrong?
« on: December 31, 2020, 05:49:41 pm »
I have some concerns about my Italian study score (which I received yesterday). I ended up receiving a study score of 29. However, throughout the year I was averaging mid to high 80’s and was likely ranked 2 (although my cohort was very small). Is it possible for me to have messed up the exams that bad for these marks to get dragged down significantly? I wasn’t expecting a 40 or anything but I would have thought to get at least above a 30. I hope this makes sense and if anyone could provide me with some advice that’d be great.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:29:01 pm by Em.C11 »

humanbeing

• Adventurer
Re: Could my study score be wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 07:51:47 pm »
I have some concerns about my Italian study score (which I received yesterday). I ended up receiving a study score of 29. However, throughout the year I was averaging mid to high 80’s and was likely ranked 2 (although my cohort was very small). Is it possible for me to have messed up the exams that bad for these marks to get dragged down significantly? I wasn’t expecting a 40 or anything but I would have thought to get at least above a 30. I hope this makes sense and if anyone could provide me with some advice that’d be great.
Do you know what study score rank 1 got? What were your marks for GA1, 2 and 3?

Em.C11

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 07:54:18 pm »
Do you know what study score rank 1 got? What were your marks for GA1, 2 and 3?
Not sure what rank 1 got. My marks were Ga1= B+, GA2=B+ and GA3=C+. When I look at the GA’s it kinda makes sense I just feel like my sacs were scaled down heaps but idk
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:00:00 pm by Em.C11 »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 07:59:37 pm »
Not sure what rank 1 got. My marks were Ga1= B+, GA2=B+ and GA3=C+.
Your score is definitely within the realms of possibility given in the past a C+ on the exam is a below-average exam score when looking at the italian grade distribution.
https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/statistics/2019/section3/vce_lote_italian_ga19.pdf

If you are still a bit unsure it wouldn't hurt to order a statement of marks to see how your exam was graded or a statement of study score to see how your sacs scaled.

Em.C11

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 08:06:17 pm »
Your score is definitely within the realms of possibility given in the past a C+ on the exam is a below-average exam score when looking at the italian grade distribution.
https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/statistics/2019/section3/vce_lote_italian_ga19.pdf

If you are still a bit unsure it wouldn't hurt to order a statement of marks to see how your exam was graded or a statement of study score to see how your sacs scaled.
Yeah I guess just didn’t expect my sacs to get scaled down so much...

humanbeing

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 08:07:53 pm »
Not sure what rank 1 got. My marks were Ga1= B+, GA2=B+ and GA3=C+. When I look at the GA’s it kinda makes sense I just feel like my sacs were scaled down heaps but idk
Maybe rank 1 underperformed on the exam and your SAC scores were negatively affected because of this?

Or bc of your exam performance which was significantly lower than your 80's on your SACs as marked by your school, VCAA assumed that either your school SACs were too easy or they were marked too easy by your teacher so they were moderated down. Or they assumed that you cheated on online SACs and therefore moderated your SAC's down.

Did you have a bad day on either the Oral or Written exams? 

If you're really unsure of your mark, you could always pay $25.55 by asking for an exam inspection. Here's the link for the form: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/results/StatMarkInspReturnForm.pdf

Another thing you could do is ask your teacher what study score, your SAC marks would have given another student in past years. What's the highest study score your school has gotten for Italian? 

Also, it's less about the percentage and what you actually got out of 50 for each GA (GA1 = unit 3, GA2 = unit 4) as shown in the grade distribution Sine linked
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:11:49 pm by humanbeing »

Mvv1995

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 08:58:39 pm »
the same thing i think has happened to me. in health this year my unit 3 average was 97% and my unit 4 was 90% both were only marked as an A grade and for the exam i got b plus, however my study score was only a raw 34. shouldn't this be higher. im in year 11 so i don't even have my scaled grade. this seems ridiculous to me.
Also i didn't receive my study score through email like majority of my classmates also in year 11 doing a 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:00:29 pm by Mvv1995 »

humanbeing

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 01:21:41 am »
the same thing i think has happened to me. in health this year my unit 3 average was 97% and my unit 4 was 90% both were only marked as an A grade and for the exam i got b plus, however my study score was only a raw 34. shouldn't this be higher.

Since your exam grade was so much lower than your SAC's as marked by your school, VCAA probably assumed either your teachers
 were giving you SACs which were too easy or marking too easy. Were you rank 1? How did others at your school do in Health?

im in year 11 so i don't even have my scaled grade. this seems ridiculous to me.
to find out your scaled grade, ask someone who did Health in 2020 as a yr 12 student who got 34 raw as well what their scaled score was.

If you're still unsure about this , fill out a form for your statement of marks and stuff, and if you want pay the $25.55 for an exam inspection.

Also i didn't receive my study score through email like majority of my classmates also in year 11 doing a 3 and 4.
Did you write your email correctly on that form they gave you asking about your VCE results? Ask your school about this and which e-mail you provided them.

Mvv1995

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 09:45:37 am »

Since your exam grade was so much lower than your SAC's as marked by your school, VCAA probably assumed either your teachers
 were giving you SACs which were too easy or marking too easy. Were you rank 1? How did others at your school do in Health?
to find out your scaled grade, ask someone who did Health in 2020 as a yr 12 student who got 34 raw as well what their scaled score was.

If you're still unsure about this , fill out a form for your statement of marks and stuff, and if you want pay the $25.55 for an exam inspection.
Did you write your email correctly on that form they gave you asking about your VCE results? Ask your school about this and which e-mail you provided them.

[/quote]
I was top of the class all year and my score of 34 was the highest. No one I know received a 34 raw study score.I provided my school with all the paperwork so it seems the school as stuffed up in that regard, I’m going to fill in the paperwork because to me something doesn’t add up. Others at my school did badly yet still managed to get only below average such as 25 or 26. If a 97 is an A what would possibly be a b+ for the exam. Throughout the year many people failed sacs and did poorly so it seems unlikely to me that they would think the teacher is marking too easy or the sacs were too easy if the majority is failing or getting average. Every sac and assessment task my results were the highest.

Mackenzie Aps

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 09:44:04 pm »
I feel my raw score for Legal was low as well, I don't know my rank by in my school cohort there were around 20. It looks like my SACS for GA1 and GA2 went up (originally B and C+), but ended up getting B+ , B and B+ for my exam - does that mean my SACs went up because of my Exam, or because they were hard SACS?  I was disappointed though with the raw score of 33 that I got. I thought that with these marks I might have got a mid 30's to 38?

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 10:01:09 pm »

omg i'm shocked rn! I achieved the exact same raw study score of 29 in Italian too. I ended up getting a B+, B and B on the exam, my sacs I scored pretty well from 70-80% on average! I've spoken to so many people at VTAC and they've all laughed at me saying study scores can't be wrong! you're the first person I've heard with the same problem as me. The same thing happened for my English I ended up scoring a raw 37 but I achieved A,A,A and my sacs I basically got 85% lowest score on unit 3 and for unit 4 I achieved all 90's. I was well above the average for my class and yr level! I feel like scaling this year has been messed up bad and it's sad we have to pay for it!