Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:46:36 am

Author Topic: How is section A and B marked?  (Read 2023 times)

bamboozled

• Adventurer
How is section A and B marked?
« on: November 11, 2020, 10:01:08 pm »
Are you marked against people who did your specific texts for section A and B, or are you marked against everyone who sat the exam? I don't see how it's any fair if the latter applies, considering how some prompts and texts are objectively more difficult than others.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
Re: How is section A and B marked?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:16:38 pm »
It’s a ranking of everyone. When they look at your piece they just mark it for what it is- not against anyone else’s.

Then I guess to decide grade cut offs etc, vcaa looks at EVERYONES scores and the median score to decide what’s a B grade etc and reserves A+ for the top 10% scores (example last few years I been between 44-48/60 for A+ cut off).
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:16:51 pm »
It’s a ranking of everyone. When they look at your piece they just mark it for what it is- not against anyone else’s.

Then I guess to decide grade cut offs etc, vcaa looks at EVERYONES scores and the median score to decide what’s a B grade etc and reserves A+ for the top 10% scores (example last few years I been between 44-48/60 for A+ cut off).
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

bamboozled

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 11:15:13 pm »

Thanks, so does that mean every examiner knows every single text? Or do only examiners that know, for example, Rear Window, mark only Rear Window exams? I don’t think it makes sense that an examiner who had just marked a Rear Window to proceed to mark an essay for After Darkness right after it (for example)? How would that examiner know what a B essay for Rear Window looks like compared to a B essay for After Darkness?? Am I just overthinking this, lol??
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 11:20:13 pm by bamboozled »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 10:02:44 am »
So wait, if the questions were super specific for some texts (e.g. Old/New World, most of my class did it and complained bitterly) and some were really broad (e.g. the one I did, Pride and Prejudice), they'll all be marked for how they answered their question, equally??
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.