Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:33:07 pm

Author Topic: JMSS 2022 Entry  (Read 111217 times)  Share 

captainquirk

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS 2022 Entry
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2021, 03:25:34 pm »
Hi! does anyone know how many people sit the year 11 and entry and roughly how many people get in. finally, how many sups does one need to get an interview?

Thank you  ;D

Hi, as a current year 10 student at jmss I’m not too sure about the number of people who usually apply for year 11, but this year there were 22 new year 11s I believe. From what I’ve heard, between 10 and 30 usually. Best of luck!

teamavatar

• Forum Regular
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2021, 06:39:58 pm »
+1
quick question. for the practice tests I've been doing (I'm trying to get into year 10 2022), I've noticed that the maths questions are all a bit like worded problems, and they're more numerical if anything. does anyone know whether the actual test is just a bunch of worded problems or just straight-up questions and equations?

Bhrugu

• Adventurer
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2021, 08:01:45 pm »
Who is trying for the year 11 entry into JMSS, entry in 2022. Any tips for such people applying and content to cover. Also can anyone provide anymore information about this, any advice? Also I would like to know how many people apply for the year 11 entry and how many of these people get selected?

Best of luck to all others applying! 8) ;D :D

shadow.e.x.e

• Adventurer
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »
Who is trying for the year 11 entry into JMSS, entry in 2022. Any tips for such people applying and content to cover. Also can anyone provide anymore information about this, any advice? Also I would like to know how many people apply for the year 11 entry and how many of these people get selected?

Hey :D. As someone also planning on doing the year 11 entry had the same question as you but fortunately, I was able to go on the school tour and ask one of the teacher and normally it's between 180-200 students sit the year 11 test. I just heard that restrictions have been reinstated so does anyone know if we will have to do the test online (year 11 entry on the 29th)? As of writing this the test is only four days away so wish all of you guys the best of luck and I'm excited to see everyone on the day :)

Bhrugu

• Adventurer
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2021, 08:32:36 pm »
Hi there, I am also very excited for the exam and I also don't have much information regarding the test, if it is online or it will be at the school as planned or if it will be going ahead at all?
If you have information about this please let us know, any information is appreciated.
Thank you, Best of Luck to all my fellow peers!!

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2021, 08:37:57 am »
+1
1. I have heard a lot about how in the interviews youre supposed to bring awards, certificates etc. I cant think of any that I have and will that be a major issue?
2. If I just bring my reports would I most likley not get accepted or has someone thats enrolled at JMSS done this?
3. I am getting told that what people would do in my position would make things up and is that something common in JMSS interview?
4. Also is there only 1 interview where you are by yourself and how many teachers interview you?

lol don't make things up. they'll be able to tell who's lying or not, they've been interviewing people for years now. also bad karma
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2021, 12:18:43 pm »
1. I have heard a lot about how in the interviews youre supposed to bring awards, certificates etc. I cant think of any that I have and will that be a major issue?
Have done any volunteer work before? Or any extracurrics? I think presenting stuff like that will help. There are lots of forums from years before abt this. I've heard that not bringing any extra "achievements" won't help impress the interviewers much. And hey, there's a long time till the interviews, so why not start something now? (or after the exam)
 good luck tho :)

ps. as alomoac said - best not make things up. Them figuring it out is a 95% chance.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 12:20:56 pm by id_in_progress »

Nerd01939

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2021, 06:55:30 pm »
so the 3% cap? Does it apply for after the interviews or before?

cause there are rlly smart ppl in my school

After the interview so you could still get in even if ur not quite as smart as them through interview performance (for me there were SO MANY smart ppl from my school who didn’t pass interview)

quick question. for the practice tests I've been doing (I'm trying to get into year 10 2022), I've noticed that the maths questions are all a bit like worded problems, and they're more numerical if anything. does anyone know whether the actual test is just a bunch of worded problems or just straight-up questions and equations?

For the most part it is just straight up questions and equations in the math bcoz u don’t have enough time to read through an explanation and then also do the math. Worded questions appear in the numerical reasoning.

Not sure what u could do for the test (probably just cover all the yr 10 and some 11 stuff if u can) but be prepared if u get an interview bcoz for the yr 11 ones they tend to focus more on what your plans for vce are and after school to make sure moving schools won’t negatively affect u). Usually they’d give out up to 25 spots for yr 11 entry coz the yr levels max is usually 225 but they already accepted 225 ppl so my best bet is they’ll aim to go to approx. 250

Hey :D. As someone also planning on doing the year 11 entry had the same question as you but fortunately, I was able to go on the school tour and ask one of the teacher and normally it's between 180-200 students sit the year 11 test. I just heard that restrictions have been reinstated so does anyone know if we will have to do the test online (year 11 entry on the 29th)? As of writing this the test is only four days away so wish all of you guys the best of luck and I'm excited to see everyone on the day :)
Hi there, I am also very excited for the exam and I also don't have much information regarding the test, if it is online or it will be at the school as planned or if it will be going ahead at all?
If you have information about this please let us know, any information is appreciated.
Thank you, Best of Luck to all my fellow peers!!

If u guys still haven’t heard any info yet then the test will definitely be postponed rather than be online again so you have a few more precious days to revise. You will get an email a day or two before whenever it is explaining everything (I’m kinda assuming as it was supposed to be tmr u guys already know)

2. If I just bring my reports would I most likley not get accepted or has someone thats enrolled at JMSS done this?
3. I am getting told that what people would do in my position would make things up and is that something common in JMSS interview?
4. Also is there only 1 interview where you are by yourself and how many teachers interview you?

I wouldn’t advise only bringing your reports - even if u don’t currently do much stuff you can mention any sports/instruments/or co curricular things you have done in the past (they don’t nose into whether or not u still do or how good u got). Shoot me a message if u get through to interviews and still need to find some stuff. Unless ur an amazing liar (and I’m talking professional acting skills) don’t make things up. They can tell and u get immediately disadvantaged. Last yr there was just you and 2 interviewers (one taking notes and one asking the questions) but usually they do a bunch of group problem solving things beforehand where teachers walk around and take notes and then do the interview.

Sorry I haven’t answered anything for ages, I kinda took a little break :)

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2021, 05:23:05 pm »
what's the order of the tests? and are we most likely doing the test online?

Gollum24

• Adventurer
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2021, 12:33:50 pm »
What sort of questions appeared on the maths and numerical reasoning tests and how was it for time pressure on both of these tests?

thanks

captainquirk

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2021, 02:09:26 pm »
+2
what's the order of the tests? and are we most likely doing the test online?

Looks like the exam will be sat in person, for year 10 2022 on the 24th and 25th of July, for year 11 the 17th I believe. Best of luck to everyone sitting it!

As for the order, I believe it is something along the lines of scientific reasoning, numerical reasoning, one of the written ones, then a break (or it was when I did it). Then the main maths one and the other writing. I don’t really remember though hahaha

With the maths section, just focus on doing a bunch of questions quickly. As you would know, there are 60 questions in 30 minutes, so speed is key (from memory, the questions on there could’ve been completed in no time with a scientific calculator so I wouldn’t really stress content wise). Mainly just try to do factorising, surds, basic trig (sohcahtoa), basic geometry, linear and some quadratics.

Again, best of luck, you lot are gonna smash it!

wetsausage69

• Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2021, 04:11:31 pm »
what textbook do I use to study for math and science part of the test?

sim1617

• Adventurer
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2021, 06:03:23 pm »
Do you guys know (mostly for math) what percentage we need for a superior. I'm doing a few practice tests and I would like to know if I have made the mark. Does anyone know or have guesses approximately? Thanks  :)

jassyz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2021, 07:44:31 pm »
Do you guys know (mostly for math) what percentage we need for a superior. I'm doing a few practice tests and I would like to know if I have made the mark. Does anyone know or have guesses approximately? Thanks  :)

Superior should be anywhere above 45/60 for maths however there's no real way of knowing since the exam and the examinee changes every year and nobody is told what score they get after the test, you are only told how well you did against the average. Just do the absolute best you can. :D

shadow.e.x.e

• Adventurer
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2021, 03:06:07 pm »
Has anyone heard anything from Edutest regarding the test? Considering the year 11 entry test was scheduled for this Saturday but now I am hearing there will be another lockdown. Any information will be extremely appreciated :D.