Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:07:07 am

Author Topic: Working Part-Time and Christmas Casual at the same time??  (Read 4699 times)  Share 

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Working Part-Time and Christmas Casual at the same time??
« on: September 22, 2020, 03:40:05 pm »
+1
So I've been thinking of maybe taking up a Christmas Casual retail job (or at least try applying for a few) on top of my current part time job.

Here's a little background about my job situation:
- I work as a fast food attendant in a company with one store (in Melbourne City)
- The store is understaffed at the moment because the boss decided to cut everybody who cannot get Jobkeeper out (so basically I was saved by Jobkeeper)
- There's only 3 workers (2 of us are uni students, 1 takes on more hours because of us - she's ok with it but I feel bad cause she looks so exhausted) + the manager (which is probably going to change cause she told me she's leaving once everything settles down and the boss finds a new manager)
- That 1 other worker is going to school starting next year + the store is currently struggling with hours so we're trying to convince the boss to start looking for more ppl earlier (he definitely doesn't want to spend more money because he's relying solely on Jobkeeper now)

Part of the reason I'm thinking of a Christmas Casual job is because my parents want to buy a house and I want to help them out since their job positions are a bit unstable currently. Another reason is that I need and want retail experience so I can widen my choices in the future. Aside from this, my other two workers are also considering the same thing for the experience and to help pay their rent.

What I'm concerned about is the hours, I was looking at christmas casual positions in places such as the Cotton On Group (so Cotton On, Typo, etc.) and possibly Myer (but not too sure since there's only a few positions). First, there's a low chance I'll get it because I don't have full availability. Second, if I do miraculously get a christmas casual job, I'm scared because casual jobs are unpredictable that there will be clashes. I'm thinking of casually bringing up the idea of christmas casual with my manager to see her opinion....

What's everybody's opinion about this? Has anybody experienced anything like this or have advice? Has anybody tried out christmas casual in the Melbourne City and can tell their experiences about hours and shifts? Thanks!!
2017: Further Mathematics
2018: Chinese Second Language | Economics | English Language | Chemistry | Methods
2019: Bachelor of Arts at UniMelb
My VCE Journal [click me!]

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Working Part-Time and Christmas Casual at the same time??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 04:01:03 pm »
+6
Christmas casual is definitely doable - just make sure you're on top of your manager giving you shifts you can do. At the end of the day, you're casual - they have to work to your schedule. That doesn't mean they won't try to bring you in when they want (as opposed to when you want), but unless your manager or whoever is in charge of scheduling is a right arse, they put you on the days you say you can do.

And if they don't, and you don't show up because you can't do that shift, what's the worst-case scenario, they fire you? Like, that might sound bad at first, but if they fire you, all that happens is now you're in a position where you have only a part-time job and no casual job - which is the same position you'd be in if you don't apply at all. Firing may seem like a bad thing, but if you think about it, you don't really lose anything by being fired for not being able to match their schedule, if this is the one thing putting you off applying anyway. Even then, firing isn't going to be first response - they'll write you up first, give you warnings, etc. etc.

But again - if you're on top of them about what shifts you can and can't do, and give them plenty of notice (preferably in writing in case they try to make the claim "you never said that" later), you should be fine and this shouldn't happen. Plus, even if they do try to give you a shift you can't do, don't forget you can always try swapping shifts with others - usually easier said than done, but still an option. Also don't forget you're allowed to knock back shifts if they ask you to come in at the last minute and you're at your other job - a lot of casuals don't because they want more shifts and are scared of not getting some, but you already have a part-time job anyway, so you're likely going to have a fairly full week even without the extra extra shifts. I think most places are aware that many casuals double up over the holiday period, and I had a friend once who tripled up, so they likely won't complain about it as long as you're still doing shifts to help them out with.

One thing I'll note, though - you making extra money isn't likely to help your parents with being able to get a house, unless they're loaded and actually want to buy it outright (to which I'd add, is your meagre casual income even going to be able to help with that?). They'll be looking at getting a mortgage from a bank, and most banks aren't even going to pretend to consider a teenager's (or 20-year old? Just guessing) casual income. The part-time job they might, since it's a little more secure - but not a casual, because you could lost that income at a moment's notice by way of your employer just choosing to not give you shifts. Still worth applying for a casual Christmas position, but just be aware you likely won't be as helpful to your parents as you think you will. It's a nice thought, and somewhat admiral of you (I wouldn't work that hard just to give ALL my money to my parents, that's for sure), but probably not that fantastic, sorry to say.

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 04:20:43 pm »
One thing I'll note, though - you making extra money isn't likely to help your parents with being able to get a house, unless they're loaded and actually want to buy it outright (to which I'd add, is your meagre casual income even going to be able to help with that?). They'll be looking at getting a mortgage from a bank, and most banks aren't even going to pretend to consider a teenager's (or 20-year old? Just guessing) casual income. The part-time job they might, since it's a little more secure - but not a casual, because you could lost that income at a moment's notice by way of your employer just choosing to not give you shifts. Still worth applying for a casual Christmas position, but just be aware you likely won't be as helpful to your parents as you think you will. It's a nice thought, and somewhat admiral of you (I wouldn't work that hard just to give ALL my money to my parents, that's for sure), but probably not that fantastic, sorry to say.
Ahaha I realise I probably sound so ignorant and dumb when I was talking about the house (I know nothing about how houses, payments and mortgages work), but thank you for telling me because now I know! Thank you for the advice as well, I definitely think now that I'm going try my luck and apply for christmas casual, and if I do somehow get in, I can get retail experience and maybe contribute to the mortgage by paying a little bit of rent to my parents. Your advice is amazing, thank you again!
2017: Further Mathematics
2018: Chinese Second Language | Economics | English Language | Chemistry | Methods
2019: Bachelor of Arts at UniMelb
My VCE Journal [click me!]

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 04:28:33 pm »
Ahaha I realise I probably sound so ignorant and dumb when I was talking about the house (I know nothing about how houses, payments and mortgages work), but thank you for telling me because now I know! Thank you for the advice as well, I definitely think now that I'm going try my luck and apply for christmas casual, and if I do somehow get in, I can get retail experience and maybe contribute to the mortgage by paying a little bit of rent to my parents. Your advice is amazing, thank you again!

If it makes you feel any better, I still basically know nothing about buying a house lmao. Only reason I know the little that I do is because my mum nearly lost her house when my parents split up, and I was old enough to understand the implications and pick things up about the process - and the only reason it was a process was because she struggled to find someone to give her a mortgage because she relied on Centrelink.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:43:09 pm »
+3
So  I've been thinking of maybe taking up a Christmas Casual retail job (or at least try applying for a few) on top of my current part time job.

-snip-

What I'm concerned about is the hours, I was looking at christmas casual positions in places such as the Cotton On Group (so Cotton On, Typo, etc.) and possibly Myer (but not too sure since there's only a few positions). First, there's a low chance I'll get it because I don't have full availability. Second, if I do miraculously get a christmas casual job, I'm scared because casual jobs are unpredictable that there will be clashes. I'm thinking of casually bringing up the idea of christmas casual with my manager to see her opinion....

What's everybody's opinion about this? Has anybody experienced anything like this or have advice? Has anybody tried out christmas casual in the Melbourne City and can tell their experiences about hours and shifts? Thanks!!
Can’t help so much on the retail front, as I’ve never had experience there. I have, however, held 2 part time jobs while doing full time uni (although one acted more like a casual job in terms of not having set hours, but had a set day), so perhaps my advice will still be of some help.

Some tips:
- As mentioned by Keltingmeith above, as long as you’ve given fair warning (e.g. in writing), it should be alright.
- I went into these jobs having told them I simply wasn’t available on certain days/times during the application process (including the ‘other’ part time job’s hours), so they were already well aware. If they didn’t like it, that’s on them to either (a) not hire you to begin with or (b) deal with it. They were also well aware that I was a uni student.
- If there was a clash (which shouldn’t occur if you did pre-warn), don’t feel bad about saying “no” to extra shifts at the casual job. (I think this was also mentioned above in Keltingmeith’s post.)
- Remember to factor time spent commuting to the city when calculating availabilities and generally. No point taking the casual job when you can’t actually make it there on time!
- Also remember to factor in time for yourself and the additional tiredness you’ll have when working the casual job. This was something I should’ve done in hindsight as I drove myself to the ground because I didn’t factor this in.
- If you plan on relying on public transport to/ from the city for the casual job, remember to check that it’s still running when you’re supposed to finish! (Especially if we end up still under curfew when you’re hired, if you’re working/studying in Victoria.)
- Make sure there’s no conflict of interest between jobs. It’s unlikely given you’re hoping for retail and food jobs, but had to mention it just in case.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread